Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well, I Finally Broke Down & 'Hit The Purchase Button' !!

Feedback Score
    Good Morning Folks, Well, my BCM SOCOM Upper arrived the other day, & I'm finally getting around to checking it out, well almost, probably in an hour or so when I'm free. I've been debating on a Rear Sight assembly, because at the moment I currently have only 2 'cost effective' choices, or I could purchase another if I have to. My 2 options are, utilize the spare Colt A2 Handle off of my 6920 which I haven't used since coming off when I obtained the 6920 ? Or, just add the ARMS # 40 Flip Up Rear off my Stag M-5, which will no longer need it as I'll be using it's Lower for the new BCM Upper ? Option 3 is to buy an 'economy' Rear, as in an Magpul MBUS, for around $50 or so ? ( Yes, I've noted the knock off's on eBay for half that price, but I have enough trouble putting a 'quality' polymer Rear on a weapon, never mind the El-Cheapo variant !! And as I said earlier, buying an Upper is similar to buying a Pick Up truck. Every single little extra is an option, & when it's all said & done, you're well over the initial base price. Such is pretty much what I'm doing with my new purchase. After the Rear Sight, then I'll need a Rail System, which fortunately I've located a quality unit & at what I feel is an excellent price. ( Troy 7" 'Drop In' / FF, for $100 PPD ) Some may wonder why I'm not going with a more substantial Rail than the 7" unit, but I honestly have no need for anything longer. All that's getting attached to it is a White Light & perhaps an QD Swivel. I already have Optics available, so I'm good with that. ( Aim Point PRO - or - EoTech XPS-2 ) I could also mount my Leupold Patrol Rifle 1.5 x 4 Scope if I really had to, although right now it's on my LMT .308-MWS, & I can't see removing it to use on an M-4 type weapon ? All in all, I'm quite happy with my new BCM, & especially so that I managed to locate it for a fair price amongst all this almost criminal price gouging currently going on with some dealers & sellers. Right now, we all know that you simply can't go wrong by adding an additional URG to your collection, as who knows what we can expect tommorow to bring ? THANKS Guys,

Best, Dom P. / dpast32

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good call, I would love to see pics as well! I agree 6.8 seemed like it was going to become a standard item, but it died off real quick, and I’m really not sure why.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Yes, I too was somewhat baffled by the 6.8 SPC's such rapid demise ? I mean I for one seriously thought that had true potential to supplant the currently in use 5.56 M-855. It was purpose designed to require only a barrel, bolt, & magazine, while allowing everything else within the M-4 / M-16 format. IIRC, an 110 - 120 grain projectile at approximately 2,500 +/- for a mild loading should perform significantly better in regards to intermediate barrier penetration, along with enhanced impact at normally encountered combat ranges. [ Well, whatever they might be ? ] But, you & I both are aware just how nervous the Army Ordnance people get at the mere suggestion of a caliber change !! And of course, the monetary aspect of such an endeavor would surely be significant, even when taking about only 3 components ! I mean from what I observed at the time, the relative commercial infrastructure was in place, as there were numerous entities producing ammunition for it, with some Companies manufacturing some really efficient loadings. [ Such as SSA, Hornandy, ATK, etc. ] But, as promising as it appeared, the Government yet again chose to go the 'bandaid' route, simply updating the 855 to 855A1, & later the supposedly quite effective MK 318 'SOST' Round. Apparently the decision makers feel that due to our current 'Combined Arms' type of warfare, the new, upgraded / updated 5.56 NATO is sufficient for the modern battlefield ? The problem of course is they're not the guy in under heavy 7.62x39 fire trying to stop someone before he ends up in the same hole with him. Too bad, as I thought the 6.8 SPC would have truly been a step up for our Troops, & also for use by Law Enforcement personnel.

Best, Dom P.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I just wanted to say that I have never regretted buying my BCM URG, and I know thats true for a lot of folks

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quick update on my new BCM URG. Yes, as many of us suspected, it's absolutely gorgeous. It mated up to my Stag Lower perfectly, nice & tight even without an Accu-Wedge. In fact, it took me a minute or so to seat the CH into the BCG, as I didn't order one as part of the package, I used the brand new BCM # 4 CH I have on hand. I threw on an ARMS # 40 Folding Rear, & all I need now is a Rail unit, which I plan on ordering next week. So far I'm very pleased with everything. As soon as get the Rail installed I'll try to get some photos posted. THANKS for all the interest & support Guys, I truly appreciate it !!

Best, Dom P.

Feedback Score
    I hope, that you will enjoy time with your rifle. And I also hope you will never use it against real human-beings, heh)

Feedback Score
    THANKS, I think that we all here feel pretty much the same way. God forbid we're ever called upon to employ lethal force, and or even be put into a situation where lethal force is even contemplated. My personal philosophy is to basically adhere to the 'Use of Force Continuem', which I followed throughout my Law Enforcement career, & see no reason to deviate from it today now that I've Retired. As you may be aware, it 'escalates' from the bottom up, with your 1st & I should say foremost weapon is your mind & voice. I'm also a firm & long time advocate of O/C Gas, and Pepper Gas / Spray. Used properly, it very well may solve your 'force' requirements with no further escalation required.

Dom P.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12