View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 6.5mm Grendel

5 33.33%
  • 6.8mm SPC

10 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This -><- close to choosing 6.8 SPC vs 6.5 grendel

Feedback Score

This -><- close to choosing 6.8 SPC vs 6.5 grendel

So as the title says I’m this -><- close to choosing 6.8 SPC vs 6.5 grendel. I took a couple of factors into deciding .300blk vs 7.62x39 as my first alternative caliber for AR-15 platform. I chose 7.62x32 for ammo availability and cost. Performance is similar but debatable. I couldn’t be any happier with the decision.

So with the next build I’m looking at alternatives for more punch vs 5.56mm. Research leads to 6.5mm Grendel vs 6.8mm SPC. For this I think I’m going to choose 6.8mm SPC and keep the barrel at 16”. For similar reasons as above, 6.8mm SPC seems to be viable. I believe the NGSW is also going to smiler size 6.8mm. With either its hard to go wrong. Your thoughts on one or the other?

Feedback Score
    Define the mission.

If the mission is long range paper punching, go with the Grendel.

If the mission is killing things at three times the effective range of the 5.56 or the 7.62x39, go with the 6.8.

Feedback Score
    Is ammo cost factoring into the equation at all? Do you reload? Is this going to be a duty gun or something you just take to the range every few months and burn through a hundred rounds? Like Steve said, what is the intended use?

Feedback Score
    Grendel as it is a superior round. Ammo is not always the easiest to get though.

Feedback Score
    MAIN DIFFERENCE: 6.5 GRENDEL VS 6.8 SPC
    While most hunting ranges require similar kinetic energy and trajectory, the 6.5 Grendel outperforms 6.8 SPC with its aerodynamic capacity that allows it to be resistant to wind drift at ranges past 200 to 300 yards. The 6.5 Grendel also has a smaller bullet diameter, lesser bullet drop, better kinetic energy, and lesser free recoil compared to 6.8 SPC.
    https://lundestudio.com/6-5-grendel-vs-6-8-spc/

6.5 Grendel
    6.5mm GrendelPros – Larger bullet weight selection if you are a reloader and for factory loads, weight for weight 6.5mm bullets have a higher sectional density which means they hold together better on impact than the same weight 6.8 bullet, higher ballistic coefficients per bullet weight means better retained velocities and energy at all distances, ammo is available in the 6.5 Grendel that can be had for less than $5.00 a box of 20 making it much cheaper to shoot than the 6.8 and even most 5.56 NATO for target shooting days, has been adopted by the Serbian military as their main caliber for armed forces, and is in technical testing for US Special Forces.

Cons – Requires a different bolt and magazine than the 5.56 NATO, so higher cost to convert a rifle, currently not as many commercial factory ammunition choices as the 6.8 SPC.

6.8 SPC
    6.8-spcPros – More commercial factory ammunition choices currently available.

Cons – Exterior ballistics inferior to the 6.5 Grendel in every aspect, requires different bolt and magazine than the 5.56 NATO, so higher cost to convert a rifle, no inexpensive target shooting ammo or bullets for reloading.

My conclusion, as an all-around cartridge, the 6.5 Grendel is the clear winner. It has better ballistics from 0-800 yards, has more available options for bullets, and can drive those bullets to the same speeds or better than the 6.8 SPC. The ONLY place I have seen the 6.8 best the 6.5 is when the barrel lengths get below 14 inches, but, that isn’t an option for those of us residing in the state of Kommiefornia.
    https://www.askdefensive.com/6-8-spc-6-5-grendel/

https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/6-...s-6-5-grendel/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Before things got crazy the Wolf steel case available for 6.5 Grendel was comparatively inexpensive. Currently either 6.5 or 6.8 is going to be expensive. From a 16" barrel the Grendel can launch a 107gr TMK with the same BC at the same velocity as the 77gr TMK from 5.56. I am not sure 39% more terminal mass alone is worth the price, unusual parts, potential difficulty getting reliable magazines.
    Last edited by Disciple; 06-17-21 at 17:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Before things got crazy the Wolf steel case available for 6.5 Grendel was comparatively inexpensive. Currently either 6.5 or 6.8 is going to be expensive. From a 16" barrel the Grendel can launch a 107gr TMK with the same BC at the same velocity as the 77gr TMK from 5.56. I am not sure 39% more terminal mass alone is worth the price, unusual parts, potential difficulty getting reliable magazines.
    What "unusual parts?" I don't have any unusual parts on either of my Grendel builds. ASC, Duramag and Elander make quality and reliable Grendel magazines. Plus I am not really aware of any 5.56 AR that can reliably hit targets at 800 meters with any accuracy or energy and a good shooter can hit out to 1,000 yards or more with a Grendel.
    Last edited by Red*Lion; 06-17-21 at 18:14.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a Grendel too and I am a fan. But I assume toastx does not have a cache of either of these cartridges and the current market is terrible for someone who values "ammo availability and cost."

The bolt and magazines at least are not standard 5.56 parts. I have three Alexander Arms branded E-Lander magazines which were supposed to be the best but none of them feed right. (They are more sturdy than the ASC, C Products, or Duramag.) I exchanged the worst one and hoped the other two would break in but they still jam up or nosedive. The Duramags are good but are not quite as smooth as the old C Products brand with the conventional body shape, and I like the old shape better. A different batch of C-Products magazines presents the nose of the cartridge too low so those haven't been perfect either. It should be simple but it has been more of a lottery. I would like to try the PRi SPC waffle magazines which I've read feed 6.5 Grendel flawlessly but the price deters me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I have a Grendel too and I am a fan. But I assume toastx does not have a cache of either of these cartridges and the current market is terrible for someone who values "ammo availability and cost."

The bolt and magazines at least are not standard 5.56 parts. I have three Alexander Arms branded E-Lander magazines which were supposed to be the best but none of them feed right. (They are more sturdy than the ASC, C Products, or Duramag.) I exchanged the worst one and hoped the other two would break in but they still jam up or nosedive. The Duramags are good but are not quite as smooth as the old C Products brand with the conventional body shape, and I like the old shape better. A different batch of C-Products magazines presents the nose of the cartridge too low so those haven't been perfect either. It should be simple but it has been more of a lottery. I would like to try the PRi SPC waffle magazines which I've read feed 6.5 Grendel flawlessly but the price deters me.
    I have had good luck with ASC and C-Product/Duramags. Both have run fine. I do not have any Elanders, but may over at 65grendel.com certainly like them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've got one of each. I use E-Landers for 6.5 and PRIs for 6.8, and haven't had any problems with any of them.

The 6.8 might be more popular for the hunting crowd, but any differences between the two on game should be minimal. The 6.5's increased BC can't be ignored, if the use case involves mid to long distance shooting.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast