Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
Yes there was. The SAAMI print had a .050" long freebore. The 115gr bullets Hornady made at the time were jammed into the lands… Chris Murray has said before the print turned in to SAAMI was an early design…
Yes, the more “match” chamber design got sent to Remington, who sent it to SAAMI. SAAMI simply published the new standard as it was submitted, they didn’t mess anything up, or guarantee it would match development hand load velocity. Some early bullets were not well designed for the submitted chamber, they needed to be redesigned. These were both minor issues and not some giant problem that should have doomed the 6.8, but for the proponents overreaction. I never saw 50-100fps being worth turning off a huge chunk of people who won’t own one now. I still think it’s the most practical amount of power you can fit in an AR15.

Bringing in an industry partner for more of the development, not just to submit to SAAMI, and more development with ammo manufacturers are lessons mostly learned.

Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
A mistake on a reamer print from PTG around 2006 caused the second problem.
That’s a manufacturing problem, not the SAAMI spec. I’m actually the guy who noticed the shaved copper rings.