Thread: Anyone Recall Website Listing All Variants USGI CAR-15 & Related Carbnes ??

Feedback Score

Anyone Recall Website Listing All Variants USGI CAR-15 & Related Carbnes ??

Hey Guys, A few years ago I happened across an awesome Website that was extremely detailed & informative concerning almost every U.S. Government issued / utilized Carbine type CAR-15 / M-16 Carbine variants. This Site listed each & every variant, detailing each individual change, & or upgrade, etc. I had it as a 'Favorite' on my Device, but last year when I upgraded to the most recent edition, the darn thing deleted all my saved sites !! If anyone happens to recall, & or have knowledge of this particular Site I would really appreciate hearing from them. THANKS

Best, Dom P.

Feedback Score
    The site isn't 100% inclusive but it sounds like you are probably talking about www.retroblackrifle.com

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    It is the task of our generation, yours and mine. But we build and defend not for our generation alone. We defend the foundations laid down by our fathers. We build a life for generations yet unborn.
    We defend and we build a way of life, not for America alone, but for all mankind. Ours is a high duty, a noble task.---Franklin Delano Roosevelt May 26th, 1940.

Feedback Score
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH, Minuteman, my Friend !! That is indeed the Site. I always try to keep track of any useful reference sites, just in case I need to verify something. I really shouldn't start looking through it though, as I just finally grabbed my 14.5" BCM SOCOM, & I'll start wishing I bought an XM-177E2 Upper instead !! In fact, I almost did, but I just can't come to terms with reducing the barrel length on a 5.56 that short, as you limit it's relative effective range to a little over 100 yards or so, at least IMHO. But, they truly are beautiful little vicious bitches, aren't they !

Best, Dom P.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There’s this series from Small Arms Review as well. Photos on the right are clickable.
    Part 1
    https://www.smallarmsreview.com/disp...darticles=3880
    Part 2
    https://www.smallarmsreview.com/disp...darticles=3839
    Part 3
    https://www.smallarmsreview.com/disp...darticles=3805
    Part 4
    https://www.smallarmsreview.com/disp...darticles=3775
    Part 5
    https://www.smallarmsreview.com/disp...darticles=3737

There’s a list of Colt models on Wikipedia too. No pics but handy for quick reference purposes
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._based_weapons

Feedback Score
    THANKS YOU very much 'Circle 10', I do appreciate it ! I'll tell you though, it it ever annoying & time consuming when you're forced to 're-assemble' all of your collected Websites & Links, etc. I mean I literally had thousands of saved Sites, Links, Articles, etc, which all 'went south' upon my re-registering my device to the latest version. I had assumed that being the same Company, & same product model I would be good, but live & learn, I guess. I had all sorts of Articles, Test Reports, U.S. Government Federal L.E. Training Center notes & data, extensive Forensic Ballistic's data, all acquired, & compiled over the years !! Ohhh, that truly hurt !! OK, I'm done venting, THANKS again My Friend,

Best, Dom P. / dpast32

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpast32 View Post
    ...I just can't come to terms with reducing the barrel length on a 5.56 that short, as you limit it's relative effective range to a little over 100 yards or so, at least IMHO....
    I think you need to extend your opinion at least another two hundred yards. I've made shots out to 300 yards or more with a 10.5" upper no problems using 55 gr ammo.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Sorry, perhaps I should have been more specific. It's not the accuracy in question, although accuracy also has its merits, but rather the ballistic effectiveness of the projectile when impacting a 'target' at that range. IIRC, The 55 gr. M193, or its equivalent tends to rapidly lose forensic effectiveness as the range increases over approximately 100 yards or so when fired from the 10" +/- barrel length. Based on the average M-193 which starts around 3,250 FPS from the 20" bbl M16. That's exactly why it can be effective out to reasonable combat engagement ranges, & more. Of course, as bbl length decreases, by default so does your initial starting velocity. Also IIRC, the forensic effectiveness of M193 Ball was found to be significantly reduced when velocity drops below 2,700 FPS, which is pretty much the starting velocity of M193 when fired via the 11.5" bbl. As you may well know, at about that number, M193 will not usually fragment into the familiar 2 pieces, breaking at the can elite, if of course one is present in the first place. Such fragmentation can produce significantly increased tissue damage, however in some instances can be undesirable, as this particular action tends to reduce projectile penetration, which is another issue in itself. Hence adoption of M855 with the LAP design. Of course in all of this you must take into account barrel length, rifling type, & so forth. It wasn't so much the accuracy I was referring to, but rather the projectiles reduced performance when fired from the shorter barrel lengths, such as 10" - 12". And, as with everything else in the ballistics world, we usually choose our bbl length depending upon the intended application. There's simply nothing wrong with a beautiful little XM-177 variant, you just can not expect it to have the ballistic performance & effectiveness of an longer one. In my particular circumstances, I can't see purchasing say an 'Retro' XM177 / XM177E2 copy, as in actuality, its OAL remains the same as any other 14.5" / 16" barrel variant, yet you give up those velocity gaining inches due it having around 3.5 - 5" of non functional 'compensator', even though we all tend to agree they're awesome looking, That's my take on them. But, just for the record, had I disposable income at the moment, I'd probably go & buy one each of the Troy Repo / Retro editions, the XM177E2 & the GAU version !!

Best, Dom P.
    Last edited by dpast32; 06-21-21 at 15:48.