Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Orleans in June...

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

New Orleans in June...

I'm going to be spending next week in New Orleans. I hear June is awful there: hot and rainy all day.

I've got a lot of free time, what do you guys recommend to pass the time? I already bought an airboat tour and a day at the WW2 museum.

Any recommendations on great bars and restaurants off the beaten path?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    bring underwear that wicks sweat... bring a lot of powder for that same region...

New Orleans is humid in January... no thanks for May/June/July/August/September....

There arent enough showers and dry clothes for me.

There are tons of great restaurants "off the beaten path"... bring a gun...and a reload.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    bring underwear that wicks sweat... bring a lot of powder for that same region...

New Orleans is humid in January... no thanks for May/June/July/August/September....

There arent enough showers and dry clothes for me.

There are tons of great restaurants "off the beaten path"... bring a gun...and a reload.
    And body armor.
    I live 25 miles from downtown NOLA. The wife and I used to go spend weekends in the city, now we only pass through. Ask where and where not to go, some neighborhoods you only want to go into in an MRAP. Metairie, in a different parish(County) is a suburb of NOLA is pretty safe, Republican run, cops don't mess around.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Don't go off of the beaten path! NO is the kind of place one block over from the tourist district is very dangerous. Just like many other places.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    NOLA is one of those cities where the difference between a multi-million dollar home or 5-star restaurant, and a crack house or gang enclave is a single block.

Avoid:

Desire
    Central City
    Seventh Ward
    Florida
    Saint Roch
    Lower 9th Ward
    West Lake Forest
    Tremé/ Lafitte
    Tulane- Gravier
    Pines Village

Pretty safe:

Central Business District
    The Garden District
    French Quarter
    Marigny
    Mid-City

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Beignet from Cafe Du Monde’s with the half chicory coffee and milk.
    Char-grilled oysters from Drago’s
    Bananas foster from Brennan’s
    Onion rings and New Orleans style BBQ shrimp from Deanie’s on magazine St. These shrimp are awesome. Not BBQ like you normally think.
    Parran’s PO-Boy’s if you like a good poboy.

You already have some good plans. Walk like you have somewhere to be, if you get to that block off the beaten path as mentioned earlier and it is noticeable quieter and less people, turn around and go back, don’t walk the block to get back or you may have already picked up a tail.

You may have picked a good week to come if this tropical depression pushes through before you get here. They usually pull in some decent weather temp and humidity-wise for a few days after.

This website has a good list of places to eat.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/nola.ea...nts-city-guide
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 06-18-21 at 12:50.

Feedback Score
    The best beignets are at Cafe Begniet...not touristy Cafe DuMond. Ditto for coffee.

Johnny's Po Boys for po-boys and red beans and rice. Domalisi's Deli for po-boys too.

Dookie Chase for fried chicken.

Urban South Brewing for beers.

Blue Nile, Tipitina's and Snug Harbor for live music.

Most of the Quarter is for tourists.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I'm going to be spending next week in New Orleans. I hear June is awful there: hot and rainy all day.

I've got a lot of free time, what do you guys recommend to pass the time? I already bought an airboat tour and a day at the WW2 museum.

Any recommendations on great bars and restaurants off the beaten path?
    Airboat tour, WW2 museum. Do the Bourbon street thing once, if you never have before. It reeks like piss and shit, head on a swivel, I was there when I was 19 soon after Katrina and that's the closest I've ever been to being mugged in my life.

EAT! Some of the best food in the country honestly. Bears Po-boys is solid, get some real Beingenets from cafe beignet on royal street.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I don't care too much for the city, but the food...OMG, the food.

The one redeeming event is the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. I have not been since I have been married (almost 22 years), but it's awesome.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Plus one for not leaving the beaten path. I’m from there.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast