Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans in June...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    If you’re in that area, eat in Peavine (is that joint Pier 51?) or maybe at Mabile’s if they are still around.
    Pier 51 is further down 51 almost across from the school in a little strip mall looking thing.

Think Peavine changed to the crab trap, then there was a crab trap and a crab trap 2 across the road. One did fried seafood and the other did boiled if I remember correctly. Not sure if they are still open. I liked eating there and looking out over the lake.

Mabile’s has the best fried oyster PO-boy or bun. They don’t fry them to a crisp, still soft. If you really want to make a mess, get the ferty. Either of those are almost worth the drive from the city to get on their own (pretty awesome fries too)!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Pier 51 is further down 51 almost across from the school in a little strip mall looking thing.

Think Peavine changed to the crab trap, then there was a crab trap and a crab trap 2 across the road. One did fried seafood and the other did boiled if I remember correctly. Not sure if they are still open. I liked eating there and looking out over the lake.

Mabile’s has the best fried oyster PO-boy or bun. They don’t fry them to a crisp, still soft. If you really want to make a mess, get the ferty. Either of those are almost worth the drive from the city to get on their own (pretty awesome fries too)!
    Mabile’s also has the best Muff. IYKYK.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I'm going to be spending next week in New Orleans. I hear June is awful there: hot and rainy all day.

I've got a lot of free time, what do you guys recommend to pass the time? I already bought an airboat tour and a day at the WW2 museum.

Any recommendations on great bars and restaurants off the beaten path?
    Pelican Bar on St. Charles before 5 pm. .50 cent oysters and $1 beers.

"Z" aka "Zea's" also on St.Charles. All the food is good, but get the Thai rib stack as an appetizer and the dirty corn as a side with your entree. This is my favorite restaurant in NOLA.

Can't beat Raising Canes for lunch. Best bread I've ever eaten, and the chicken is always tender and juicy.

I'm assuming you'll be carrying, and if so, the hippies and weirdos at Jackson Square in the French Quarter can offer some entertainment. A man with a discerning eye can spot all sorts of shenanigans there. I don't think I'd go near there if I wasn't legal to carry.

If you care to drive the bridge across the lake into Covington, there is a pretty cool alligator ranching operation there that is open for tours. I learned a lot and rather enjoyed it. Its a nice drive and Covington is gorgeous. A nice change from the dirty city.

Things seem to get crazier the later at night at gets. I'm an early to bed, early to rise kind of guy, so I never ran into too much trouble there. I found the WWII Museum fascinating. The little movie narrated by Tom Hanks was full of fascinating facts. Despite the narrator, I still enjoyed it. I'd allow a good chunk of time for that one. I worked there several times a year for a week or three at a time for several years. Got to know the place better than I ever wanted to.
    Last edited by Bulletdog; 06-22-21 at 18:43. Reason: spelling errors
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    My mom grew up in La Place so, even though it’s a 2.5 hour drive, we have to eat there all the time.
    I grew up in LaPlace and I am still there. Bec's and Frenier Landing on Peavine road.
    Last edited by P2Vaircrewman; 06-20-21 at 10:04.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    There used to be an all-you-can-eat Cajun buffet, it was either in a truck stop or beside a truck stop, I can't remember, I think it was called Cajun Charlie's, in Sulphur, west on I-10. Not the best food, but it was still pretty darn good. Not sure if it's still there or not.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m shocked at how many people here are familiar with LaPlace. Next y’all will be talking about Sorrento, St Amant, and Geismar. I suppose it HAS grown quite a bit. Last time I went, there were quite a few lights, and much more chain restaurants (a plague).

Plus one for the ribs at Zea’s. OP, I plan my trips home by the meal. I highly recommend that technique. Don’t forget to grab some boudin from the shadiest gas station you see. I also always bring back an ice chest of meats and such, as does everyone I know in that circumstance.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I’m shocked at how many people here are familiar with LaPlace. Next y’all will be talking about Sorrento, St Amant, and Geismar. I suppose it HAS grown quite a bit. Last time I went, there were quite a few lights, and much more chain restaurants (a plague).
    If we are headed to Geismar area it is time to stop in for some Jenny’s fried chicken. But I guess that is more so headed in Gramercy area. If you get down I-10 by exit 96 I believe, head north and get some pepperjack boudin balls from the Best Stop. They have some of the best heart attack in a bag cracklings.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 06-20-21 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    pepperjack boudin balls from the Best Stop.
    Bruh. I could go for that right now.
    RLTW

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Plus one for the ribs at Zea’s. OP, I plan my trips home by the meal. I highly recommend that technique. Don’t forget to grab some boudin from the shadiest gas station you see. I also always bring back an ice chest of meats and such, as does everyone I know in that circumstance.
    It’s a small world man. Plus I think a lot of us are fairly close by. I forgot to recommend boudin because it’s not “exotic” to me. We can buy it at Wally World and Kroger around here. OP you are visiting right at the end of crawfish season. Don’t miss out on that. Had some yesterday!

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget Jacob's Andouille, the business was started by my wife's grandparents.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast