Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Juneteenth Day.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Juneteenth Day.

Yes, we all know it was pandering to make it a fed holiday, and that goes without saying, but I'm not outright rejecting it due to who made it law (e.g., like some rejected HCQ because Trump recommended it). So, with that said, I'm of a mixed feeling on it. While I "get" why it's important to POC of our nation, and Liberty minded of all colors, I fear it will be used to further divide vs heal, especially in these polarized times. Note, that those who outright reject it due how much they dislike those who made law as a knee jerk response will be labelled as racists, so checkmate. Don't let them pull people into that obvious - and credit where credit is due, well played - move.

On it's surface, and the fact it's not new and has been celebrated among African Americans since it existed, etc, I'm in support. Timing and who/why it was done, not so much.

Interestingly, TX, where it all began, adopted it in 1979, so while it may seem like it came out of nowhere, that is not the case. I didn't know that about TX until reading the History article below:

https://www.history.com/news/what-is-juneteenth
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Juneteenth National Independence Day, June 19
    or
    Independence Day, July 4

One federal holiday to celebrate independence should be enough. Pick one.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Apart from the merits of this one holiday - just how many freaking holidays can the federal government create and observe?

Is being a federal employee an inherently part-time job now?

----------------

On a related note, this year "June is pride month." I don't remember that from prior years. Is this new, or did I somehow miss it?

https://nationaltoday.com/pride-month/

https://youth.gov/feature-article/june-lgbt-pride-month (yes, a fedgov site)

Apparently June 28 is "Pride Day." Is that also a federal holiday? If not, why not?

No bias against blacks or LGBT, but it seems like the calendar is filling up and our whole federal government is becoming distracted, trivial, and un-serious.

Feedback Score
    Federal holidays

New Year's Day, January 1
    Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr., the third Monday in January
    Washington's Birthday, the third Monday in February
    Memorial Day, the last Monday in May
    Independence Day, July 4
    Labor Day, the first Monday in September
    Columbus Day, the second Monday in October
    Veterans Day, November 11
    Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday in November
    Christmas Day, December 25

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Yes, we all know it was pandering to make it a fed holiday, and that goes without saying, but I'm not outright rejecting it due to who made it law (e.g., like some rejected HCQ because Trump recommended it). So, with that said, I'm of a mixed feeling on it. While I "get" why it's important to POC of our nation, and Liberty minded of all colors, I fear it will be used to further divide vs heal, especially in these polarized times. Note, that those who outright reject it due how much they dislike those who made law as a knee jerk response will be labelled as racists, so checkmate. Don't let them pull people into that obvious - and credit where credit is due, well played - move.

On it's surface, and the fact it's not new and has been celebrated among African Americans since it existed, etc, I'm in support. Timing and who/why it was done, not so much.

Interestingly, TX, where it all began, adopted it in 1979, so while it may seem like it came out of nowhere, that is not the case. I didn't know that about TX until reading the History article below:

https://www.history.com/news/what-is-juneteenth
    I think you make some really excellent points for and against.

Personally, I'm in the same boat. It should be a big deal, it should be celebrated and having it as a national holiday should hurt no one. It will probably end up weaponized by some fringe groups also. I truly only remember one occasion in high school learning about Juneteenth total.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I don't have a lot of indigestion over it as a holiday. But a paid, time off holiday? With all the others?? I don't like that .gov employees get so many holidays as it is.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It really should be celebrated on sept 22 to honor & acknowledge Lincoln's role in nailing down freedom & not on a day the word got around.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Two things can be true at once:

Is it pandering? Yes

Is it long overdue? Yes

Feedback Score
    yeah fine make it a holiday then no more BS whining about reparations etc...

and realize 370k came to north america out of 10.5 million and focus on those other 10.13 million and what happened to them !
    also make sure to notice the first slave owner was black and many whites were slaves and many blacks were slave owners and again no more whining and get rid of the use of African American !!!!!

make it you are American no matter what your skin tone !
    Last edited by Honu; 06-18-21 at 16:04.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    or
    Independence Day, July 4

One federal holiday to celebrate independence should be enough. Pick one.
    I can understand easily why some may not feel July 4th encompass them, but as we are all citizens of this nation, should not be viewed as a separate holiday either. While there's a lot of revisionist history out there, I think it's fair to say the 4th 1776 was not exactly "independence" for anyone but us white folks for a long time to come. I tend to think this holiday actually makes more sense than MLK day in terms of historic importance and meaning, but I "get" your POV on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Apart from the merits of this one holiday - just how many freaking holidays can the federal government create and observe?

Is being a federal employee an inherently part-time job now?
    That's a joke right?

Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Federal holidays

New Year's Day, January 1
    Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr., the third Monday in January
    Washington's Birthday, the third Monday in February
    Memorial Day, the last Monday in May
    Independence Day, July 4
    Labor Day, the first Monday in September
    Columbus Day, the second Monday in October
    Veterans Day, November 11
    Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday in November
    Christmas Day, December 25
    I say drop Columbus Day and keep this new one. Of them all, Columbus Day is white washed nonsense really. While a product of his time, Dude was really kinda of an A Hole and his accomplishments overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I think you make some really excellent points for and against.

Personally, I'm in the same boat. It should be a big deal, it should be celebrated and having it as a national holiday should hurt no one. It will probably end up weaponized by some fringe groups also. I truly only remember one occasion in high school learning about Juneteenth total.
    And that's the crux of the (potential) issue really. I'm 60/40 in favor, and will be more in favor as time goes on if it does not turn into another weaponized polarized cluster F to divide.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Two things can be true at once:

Is it pandering? Yes

Is it long overdue? Yes
    Exactly so...
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast