Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Juneteenth Day.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I agree that juneteenth is a horrible name. Emancipation day, or Abolitionist day would have been better. I think with those names, people would no what it was for, and it would draw attention to the positive side of the situation and those who fought for it.

Soli Deo Gloria

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    It is in accordance with the current political strategy which includes the odious and dishonest "1619 project." This strategy draws attention to slavery to reframe the United States in a negative manner and is specifically intended to take focus away from everything positive by reinforcing the view that the negatives outweigh the positives. It is intended to justify the notion that our traditions are outdated and require replacement. There is no good reason to highlight slavery now, outside of a university history class about how the US was one of the first nations to ban it's practice.

Your response to the topic of slavery should be "shut up commie scum," not, "oh yeah, we're so, so, sorry about that." Get it?

The radical left is at war to win a country, the right is too busy reacting defensively to their propaganda to counter attack.

I was responding to the idea of replacing Columbus Day with this.
    It may appear that way on the surface, which is partly why I said that it was pandering to the left in the first place. It is not, however, revisionist nonsense like the 1619 Project.

Maybe Emancipation Day or 13th Ammendment Day would be more appropriate, I don't know.

I haven't heard of a concerted effort to replace Columbus Day with this new holiday in the federal line up, but I would not be in favor of that.
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 06-19-21 at 06:36.

Feedback Score
    Is it worthwhile to note a conflict that made good on the promise of America? Is it worthwhile to observe the result of a struggle that claimed so many lives? The US military casualties for all other wars combined barely outnumber the casualties of the civil war, and we will never know the cost in civilian casualties. I can get behind a holiday that honors the sacrifices made to end slavery.

Of course that ain't gonna ever be mentioned. I've already seen idiots spouting off in interviews and commentaries that "This got nuffin to do wiff white people!".
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Happy Juneteenth America.

Biggest problem is the name... They couldn't just call it "Juneteenth". They couldn't think up some other catchy name either. Should be easy right? I mean everybody, and their brother is making up words these days... But no... they had to call it "The National Independence Day".

Well excuse the HELL outta me, but this country already HAS an "INDEPENDENCE DAY".

That would be on the 4th of July, the day we declared ourselves an "Independent" nation, separate from the overbearing one were were subject to at the time.

This is a direct slap in the face to the original, and TRUE "Independence Day", and is nothing more that one more thinly veiled attempt to destroy what's left of The united States as a unified nation. They want different factions of this nation (factions they worked so hard to create) celebrating different "Independence Days" as if this is two separate nations.

The political elite just want us all divided up into separate little groups, arguing with each other, so we will never again be unified. If we're talking civilly amongst ourselves we might end up saying things to each other like...
    "Why is our government making our lives more difficult, and less free?"
    "Why are they taking away our rights?"
    "Why are they spending so much of our money on stupid shit?"
    "Why are they getting us involved in wars on the other side of the planet?"

We are supposed to be "One nation, under God, indivisible..."

We have just been divided that much more.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 06-19-21 at 07:40.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Is it worthwhile to note a conflict that made good on the promise of America? Is it worthwhile to observe the result of a struggle that claimed so many lives? The US military casualties for all other wars combined barely outnumber the casualties of the civil war, and we will never know the cost in civilian casualties. I can get behind a holiday that honors the sacrifices made to end slavery.

Of course that ain't gonna ever be mentioned. I've already seen idiots spouting off in interviews and commentaries that "This got nuffin to do wiff white people!".
    Yep, nothing to do with the 350k WHITE Union soldiers who died to make that day happen. Once again, something that should be unifying the Left is using to divide. And mark my words, it will not be long before the Left will push to replace the July 4th holiday with June 19th.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And that process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except the endless present in which the party is always right."
    George Orwell, 1984
    Last edited by flenna; 06-19-21 at 07:18.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I’m certainly surprised how many here believe the Civil War was simply a war about slavery and racism.

I suppose it’s no different than the common knowledge that Biden was elected by honorable Americans to do away with the racist Trump republicans.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I’m certainly surprised how many here believe the Civil War was simply a war about slavery and racism.

I suppose it’s no different than the common knowledge that Biden was elected by honorable Americans to do away with the racist Trump republicans.
    Sure there were other issues in the mix. States rights, the subjugation of the south to northern financial and industrial power, political intrigue,... But in reality it all came down to the institution of slavery. While a whole lot of people had their own reasons for the continuation or abolition of slavery, and much of it had nothing to do with racism nor benevolence towards the black slaves, it would be inaccurate to claim that the Civil War was not primarily about slavery.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Speaking of The 1619 Project, the author is faculty at UNC Chapel Hill. She was up for tenure, for which the board of trustees denied. They claim it's because of the lack of a terminal degree (no PhD), but others have had the same professorship and got tenure. She and other black faculty are complaining it's because of her work and because she's black. It's in the news everyday since I live 8 mi from UNC, a lot of black faculty are threatening to quit, the president of the student body is telling other people to not come to UNC.

Me, I'm a Duke man, so I'm getting a certain measure of entertainment out of all of this.

Feedback Score
    The first time I read someone saying this new holiday "ain't got nuffin' to do wiff wipipo" I am gonna post this pic and say "You're welcome".

https://www.civilwarphotos.net/files/images/537.jpg
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This^^^^. And don't forget that the Democrats created the Ku Klux Klan.
    Train 2 Win

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast