Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Juneteenth Day.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Yes... yes it was July 4th. We don't celebrate the day the idea was first brought to congress, or when it was voted on, then had to be changed... We celebrate the day it was adopted, and signed as is.

THAT was the day we declared our independence. 4 July, 1776.

Regardless, the fact is we already HAVE an "Independence Day". One for the whole of the nation. A separate one will only further divide us.
    I don't have an issue with another summer holiday but call it Emancipation Day. It can honor the end of the abomination of slavery as well as the blood that was shed to make it happen.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Uh… precisely the point. “yet another day of paid do-nothing for government employees”
    Not sure when the hate on .gov employees came about but short of the relative security of being employed by the government there's not a ton to love. While in uniform, I was paid far less than the city sanitation workers, not to mention how much less than NYPD, even if I had 3 times as many years on the job. Our benefits are not super and that's assuming we get anything from social security. Benefits that were pretty great haven't applied to anyone hired in decades. Now as a support employee but still involved In operations, (read " non Agent), our equipment is third rate, those of us that believe in what we do work long hours; my squad worked every minute of last year through the pandemic (admittedly good that we got paid while others lost jobs). We worked tbrough the riots, often traveling around the city for hours to get through the mayhem in our personal vebicles. We come to work through snow and weather that makes it a crime for anyone else to even be on the road. Granted, the government does put up with slugs in the past but it's getting easier to cut the deadwood with initial, two year probationary periods were you can fire for failing to meet suitability standards.
    Anyway, having some extra days off during the year is nice but having to work many days like Christmas, thanksgivings, etc does balance things out. Again, not all .gov employees work like us but as a rule we make far less in salary than our civillian couterparts unless you're way up the chain of command. I'll refrain from commenting on what I think of the very top levels of the FBI and DoJ as I'm not sure of the plural of "douchebag" in this context.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Yep, nothing to do with the 350k WHITE Union soldiers who died to make that day happen. Once again, something that should be unifying the Left is using to divide. And mark my words, it will not be long before the Left will push to replace the July 4th holiday with June 19th.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And that process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except the endless present in which the party is always right."
    George Orwell, 1984
    There’s a federal holiday to remember, honor and mourn those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. Memorial Day. No need for Juneteenth in that regard unless there’s going to be federal holidays for every military campaign where folks gave their lives in service.

There are federal holidays recognizing individuals. Since this is about June 19th…. how about Gordon Granger Day?
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 06-19-21 at 13:04.

Feedback Score
    There are potentially so many levels of F-U in this holiday. So June is what month? Alphabet+/- Pride Month. Who is least down with the Alphabet lifestyles, African-Americans? Or so I’m told. Then there is the date. But there are a lot of potential dates, but when it comes to celebrating this they all checked around- you all free around the weekend on the third Sunday of June? Nothing? No plans?

HOLY CRAP. I’m not saying these are good things. I’m just the jester pointing these things out. The biggest FU in Holiday planning since giving Black History the shortest month with the worst weather. The best thing to do for MLK day? Skiiing. So crazy that even Blackish had an episode on it.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    I’m really surprised that no one has yet mentioned the real reason for creating this federal holiday.

Hint: Juneteenth was relatively unknown until a certain politician planned a campaign rally on June 19th, then all a sudden Juneteenth was HUGE, and scheduling a political rally on the same day was considered a horrific racist slap in the face to all black people.

Who was this politician?
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 06-19-21 at 13:25.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rocsteady View Post
    Not sure when the hate on .gov employees came about but short of the relative security of being employed by the government there's not a ton to love. While in uniform, I was paid far less than the city sanitation workers, not to mention how much less than NYPD, even if I had 3 times as many years on the job.
    All of your points are valid, but...

* Federal workers are unionized and those unions overwhelmingly donate to Democratic candidates (90-95% of political donations)

* Federal hiring and promotion practices ensure that success is more reliant on which class of protected citizen you can claim membership in than the work you do

* Poor workers are moved, not let go or corrected. Poor performance is also covered up/never documented for fear of reprisal of the appearance of bias

* The federal government values degrees more than relevant experience or proven ability

* Bureaucracy restricts the workers and the rest of us who do not operate under those restrictions blame the worker

Federal workers absolutely have significantly better job security than the private sector. Not hating on federal workers for it, that is where the pay disparity comes from. We had 3 or 4 of our folks go federal and take pay cuts for the security.

I have worked directly with federal employees for 30+ years and counting. I have worked and still work with incredible people on both sides.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    All of your points are valid, but...

* Federal workers are unionized and those unions overwhelmingly donate to Democratic candidates (90-95% of political donations) But you don't have to join the union.

* Federal hiring and promotion practices ensure that success is more reliant on which class of protected citizen you can claim membership in than the work you do

* Poor workers are moved, not let go or corrected. Poor performance is also covered up/never documented for fear of reprisal of the appearance of bias In most cases, yes.

* The federal government values degrees more than relevant experience or proven ability Unfortunately this is true.

* Bureaucracy restricts the workers and the rest of us who do not operate under those restrictions blame the worker

Federal workers absolutely have significantly better job security than the private sector. Not hating on federal workers for it, that is where the pay disparity comes from. We had 3 or 4 of our folks go federal and take pay cuts for the security.

I have worked directly with federal employees for 30+ years and counting. I have worked and still work with incredible people on both sides.

Andy
    Thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Washington DC doesn’t have the highest per capita income and the highest house values in the nation for no reason. I’m not saying that every federal worker is over paid, but there was some stat I saw a few years ago about the average pay for federal workers and it was way more than the national average. Let’s just assume that you are under compensated as a federal worker. If you’re in any kind of job there’s a private one that you can leverage your fed job on. Not saying that’s true for every federal job but the whole DC thing kind of reinforces that concept.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Washington DC doesn’t have the highest per capita income and the highest house values in the nation for no reason. I’m not saying that every federal worker is over paid, but there was some stat I saw a few years ago about the average pay for federal workers and it was way more than the national average. Let’s just assume that you are under compensated as a federal worker. If you’re in any kind of job there’s a private one that you can leverage your fed job on. Not saying that’s true for every federal job but the whole DC thing kind of reinforces that concept.
    A LOT of contractors and lobbyists live there, not just federal employees
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 06-19-21 at 16:09.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    A LOT of contractors and lobbyists live there, not just federal employees
    Hi, Gunner. Please clear your PMs so you can receive.

Andy

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast