Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bushmaster's new initial product line

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I'm one of the few here that genuinely like the ACR. when it works right and QC is good. So, one in a million have been awesome.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I'm one of the few here that genuinely like the ACR. when it works right and QC is good. So, one in a million have been awesome.
    I've shot the ACR several times, and even got to shoot it in Remington configuration. If they can produce something akin to the Remington config for around $1800 to $2000, I would be interested.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not that it's a good idea, but isn't the intended function of a binary trigger a two round burst, without interrupting the cycle by holding the trigger back?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    A binary trigger fires both on the trigger press, and the reset/release of trigger.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Not that it's a good idea, but isn't the intended function of a binary trigger a two round burst, without interrupting the cycle by holding the trigger back?
    I think the intended purpose is to mimic MG rates of fire without shelling out tens of thousands for a pre 86. Not quite sure what their justification is for anything other than that, or if they even have one. I always got the impression they were selling them as fun switches that were just shy of the fun factor that would get unwanted ATF attention.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Most real fun switches have little to no practical purpose either, and yet people still pay tens of thousands for the privilege of wasting lots of ammo. So from a certain perspective, the people with binary triggers are smart for getting their thrills cheaper.

I've never shot one, but I would like to. My only experience with binary triggers was on paintball guns when I was a little kid. I kind of did wonder why nobody ever did that with guns, and always just assumed it was because it wasn't feasible without an electronic trigger. Just for giggles, I would like to see someone set up two LMG style ARs, one with binary and one full auto, and see which one could put more rounds on a silhouette faster.

In the end, though, it wouldn't matter, because you still can't have an open bolt AR, even if it's only semi auto. Even if you could build an LMG style with the binary and have it work, without the open bolt you would be cooking rounds off in no time. You would either have to go old school and water cool it, or rig up some kind of quick change barrel system that wasn't so finicky. Not to mention the fact that if shit hit the fan so hard people needed LMGs nobody would care about drilling the third hole at that point.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I think the intended purpose is to mimic MG rates of fire without shelling out tens of thousands for a pre 86. Not quite sure what their justification is for anything other than that, or if they even have one. I always got the impression they were selling them as fun switches that were just shy of the fun factor that would get unwanted ATF attention.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Most real fun switches have little to no practical purpose either, and yet people still pay tens of thousands for the privilege of wasting lots of ammo. So from a certain perspective, the people with binary triggers are smart for getting their thrills cheaper.

I've never shot one, but I would like to. My only experience with binary triggers was on paintball guns when I was a little kid. I kind of did wonder why nobody ever did that with guns, and always just assumed it was because it wasn't feasible without an electronic trigger. Just for giggles, I would like to see someone set up two LMG style ARs, one with binary and one full auto, and see which one could put more rounds on a silhouette faster.

In the end, though, it wouldn't matter, because you still can't have an open bolt AR, even if it's only semi auto. Even if you could build an LMG style with the binary and have it work, without the open bolt you would be cooking rounds off in no time. You would either have to go old school and water cool it, or rig up some kind of quick change barrel system that wasn't so finicky. Not to mention the fact that if shit hit the fan so hard people needed LMGs nobody would care about drilling the third hole at that point.
    Add me as a third to that competition, 3 round burst please

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Personally, I’m happy to see Bushmaster back. They were/ are a large well known name, and losing a chunk of the AR15 production industry is a bad thing. Binary triggers? I have one, it’s on a belt fed, it isn’t a big deal either way in the manner I use it.

Offering Binary triggers is a large step forward. It isn’t a mandatory part of their lineup, it’s just an offering, but by being available as a standard item it brings us closer to the actual 2nd A. That we don’t like it, or that we don’t see it as useful doesn’t change that much like a bump stock, it is a legal item. The more that is restricted, the farther away we get from the intent of our founders.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I would love to see the ACR up and running, instead of the left over unloved bastard of the Bushmaster family.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    “ The more that is restricted, the farther away we get from the intent of our founders.”

Agree and well said Stick.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Add me as a third to that competition, 3 round burst please
    You know, burst may have been given up on too early. With these new constant recoil open bolt weapons being developed, a good burst might be a lot more effective. The original dream with assault rifles was to turn every rifleman into an independent light machinegunner. It didn't really work out so well though because the rifles weren't heavy or stable enough to maintain tight enough bursts to replace squad level machineguns. But with these new designs, they've proven on video that anyone can maintain really good control in full auto, and with open bolt full auto modes you would get a lot more mileage out of a light barrel. I could honestly see going back to the Vietnam era concept of every rifleman being a machinegunner, then having one guy with a sniper rifle and two guys with a large caliber belt fed machinegun. Add a good three round burst to that, and with very minimal training you could take a guy off the street and turn him into a really effective user in no time at all, with very little expenditure in instruction or ammo. Those things are so controllable that the average person can just pick one up and be a rock star with it. Then with these smart optics being developed, that just takes it to a whole new level of scary for anyone on the receiving end.
    Last edited by okie; 06-24-21 at 14:06.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast