Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A10, almost scrapped, new updated versions coming

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

A10, almost scrapped, new updated versions coming

I'm happy to hear the powers that be have decided to stop trying to scrap with awesome CAS beast, to developing new/updated versions:

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I'm happy to hear the powers that be have decided to stop trying to scrap with awesome CAS beast, to developing new/updated versions:

Awesome, thanks for sharing. That video popped in my feed but I haven't watched it yet. Glad to see the platform hang on for the next generation.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    That was really cool, thanks for sharing.

I wonder how this will compete with SOCOM's procurement of a close air support aircraft.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Yep, A-10 isn't going away until at least 2035.

New cockpit display, updated HMD, AKPWS rockets, SDB, and constantly updated podded targeting systems will help lethality, while new wings will extend service life.

Particularly cool (to me) is the new ability of the A-10 to pickle six guided munitions at six separate targets with a single press of a switch. Kinda like a death blossom...
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    Yep, A-10 isn't going away until at least 2035.

New cockpit display, updated HMD, AKPWS rockets, SDB, and constantly updated podded targeting systems will help lethality, while new wings will extend service life.

Particularly cool (to me) is the new ability of the A-10 to pickle six guided munitions at six separate targets with a single press of a switch. Kinda like a death blossom...
    They just need to replace the 30mm gattler with 2 30mm gattlers for some extra uranium depleted F U.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    A10's and Apaches provided close air support for us (4/32nd Armor Regiment, 3rd AD) during Desert Storm. Awesome firepower.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Good news for one bada** plane

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There's a lot of outdated information in the linked video...most of the quotations come from 5-10 years ago. The A-10 is a cool airplane, but it's old and hamstrung by the fact that the OEM doesn't exist anymore, so just dealing with normal wear and tear requires massive contracting efforts. The F-15 and F-16 have had a much less difficult time staying in the inventory because new versions are still in production, so the lifecycle management is much easier. The whole reason the F-15EX came about is because Boeing had the airplane ready to go, and there's almost no training bill for aircrew and maintenance to go from the legacy C model to the new jet. Upgrading the A-10 with modern avionics and sensors is kind of like trying to put Bluetooth, GPS, and a digital control system in a '73 Ford pickup--you end up with hodgepodge of old and new tech that may or may not play well together.

The A-10 is a cool jet, and the folks that fly and maintain them are solid professionals. I personally think the thing A-10s do better than anyone else is the CSAR mission--I can't think of a more capable aircraft in the Sandy role. As a CAS asset--the survivability is great, but in the last 20 years most CAS engagements have involved level deliveries of precision guided munitions from medium altitude. In that kind of attack profile, just about every fighter, most bombers and some SOF platforms do just about as good. I can't deny how cool the gun is, but for pretty much everything except area denial, laser guided rockets like the AGR-20 are more lethal. In Afghanistan and Iraq/Syria, the A-10s struggled with some precision strikes just because despite being "low and slow," they have some sensor limitations. They are freaking awesome at suppressing terrain features, though--I've watched them light up green zones and ridge lines and completely wreck bad guys.

I personally think we'll see the A-10 get upgraded and stick around for another 5-10 years, at least. I do think the "light attack/armed overwatch" concept is absolutely necessary--everyone wants to talk about a potential fight against Russia or China, but I just don't see the US ever getting out of the irregular warfare/counter terrorism fight.
    Last edited by TBAR_94; 06-19-21 at 15:47.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    For supporting troops in an environment with no hostile aircraft or radar SAMs, the A-10 is fine. For major conflicts with foreign powers, it was suboptimal from the beginning.

The problem I have with the aircraft is that it's no good for the only role I think our military should be performing: The defense of the homeland against foreign threats.

I find myself viewing the transformation of our military into a force primarily dedicated to using force against large numbers of disobedient civilians with increasing alarm.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    For supporting troops in an environment with no hostile aircraft or radar SAMs, the A-10 is fine. For major conflicts with foreign powers, it was suboptimal from the beginning.

The problem I have with the aircraft is that it's no good for the only role I think our military should be performing: The defense of the homeland against foreign threats.

I find myself viewing the transformation of our military into a force primarily dedicated to using force against large numbers of disobedient civilians with increasing alarm.
    I agree, though I think it would be rad to send them into mexico and tear up the cartels.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast