Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New trigger vs. optic

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

New trigger vs. optic

So I am in the middle of a decision.. Get an optic for my GP carbine or a new trigger for the lower. The cost of an upper end trigger will be less than a quality optic but not cheap by any means. What I get isn't really decided yet, I'm looking at options. I already have an upper receiver group with an optic that works quite well. It has a 16" lightweight barrel + Geissele rail. The current trigger is an ALG defense and it works but I want something better. The new trigger would benefit both uppers as well. I think I've talked myself into the trigger... What would you all do? The GP carbine upper is a 14.5 PW Centurion HF SOCOM barrel that is currently running irons.

Regards

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just my opinion and I by no means am a expert but I always go for a good Red Dot or a LPVO & Weapons Light before anything else. Also throw a good sling in there as my top 3 first must haves.

Hope this helps a bit.

Added : I should have said this. I understand you have another upper with a optic but I always worry what if one of my Optics gets jacked up. Even with a good optic things can go bad in the most worst time so backup Iron's are a must also. I have quite a few AR's and the first 3 things I get for mine when there new are a Optic & backup Irons, Weapons Light, & Sling. Some folks will do things differently and like I said I am no expert, just a dude with a opinion..
    Last edited by Spooky1; 05-30-21 at 09:56.

Feedback Score
    Imo trigger upgrades are luxury items, the last thing I'd add.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Optic. Proper fundamentals and technique will triumph over mil spec triggers.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    So I am in the middle of a decision.. Get an optic for my GP carbine or a new trigger for the lower. The cost of an upper end trigger will be less than a quality optic but not cheap by any means. What I get isn't really decided yet, I'm looking at options. I already have an upper receiver group with an optic that works quite well. It has a 16" lightweight barrel + Geissele rail. The current trigger is an ALG defense and it works but I want something better. The new trigger would benefit both uppers as well. I think I've talked myself into the trigger... What would you all do? The GP carbine upper is a 14.5 PW Centurion HF SOCOM barrel that is currently running irons.

Regards
    A couple of questions for you. What optic and what trigger are you considering? What optic do you currently have? What is the intend use for the GP carbine?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My priorities for any new carbine, in order of importance:
    1) Irons
    2) Sling
    3) RDS or LVPO
    4) White light
    5) Ergonomic enhancements
    6) Trigger

ETA: FWIW I have Geissele triggers on everything.

Feedback Score
    If you already have an optic that "works quite well" go ahead and get the improved trigger that you want. IMO, triggers can make a big difference, especially when/if you need to make longer distance/more precise shots.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A good set of backup Iron sights and an optic are top priorities. But, you can get a Larue 2S MBT trigger (which is a great trigger) for about $100 nowadays (shipping is about 6 to 8 weeks though) and be done with it.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Optic first. Triggers are nice but optics provide far more benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post

1. So I am in the middle of a decision.. Get an optic for my GP carbine or a new trigger for the lower.

2. The cost of an upper end trigger will be less than a quality optic but not cheap by any means. What I get isn't really decided yet, I'm looking at options.

3. I already have an upper receiver group with an optic that works quite well. It has a 16" lightweight barrel + Geissele rail.

4. The current trigger is an ALG defense and it works but I want something better. The new trigger would benefit both uppers as well. I think I've talked myself into the trigger...

5. What would you all do? The GP carbine upper is a 14.5 PW Centurion HF SOCOM barrel that is currently running irons.

Regards
    You have a lot going on in what seemed at first like a simple question, so I broke it down into five parts.

1- On first look, the immediate answer is that of an optic.

2- If a trigger is expensive, it sounds like you would benefit most by dry fire and saving your money. There is nothing wrong with using iron sights while you train and save up money. The Centurion Arms 2 stage trigger is something like $90, so call it $100 with tax and shipping if your state taxes. In the overall scheme of things it is a fantastic trigger, and the price is phenomenal. I would use this trigger in each of my guns and be ecstatic. Still, if $90 is too much money right now, save and wait.... especially because good optics tend to be a lot more money.

3- Wait a minute, if you are going to throw in that you have a URG complete with optic, this changes things. I would be looking at picking up another lower to build up. Two guns are better than one.

4- Drop a better trigger in the second lower, and once that is done, start looking at optics. Leave the current trigger in the current lower.

5- The problem with giving you an answer is that you bounce around a lot and give portions of info. Now you are mentioning that your second upper runs irons, but no mention of rail, lights on either upper, or what optic you have on your first URG. If your current upper with optic is using a craptastic optic, I would address that first. Otherwise, I would save up and build a second complete lower, and then decide what optic I wanted for the second upper. No one is going to ban optics or triggers, but if a new AWB is coming, I can guarantee that lowers are a large portion of that ban. Get yourself taken care of with a lower and build that up first, that is my final answer.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast