Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: RMR 69 gr OTMs

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Totally agree. Balance of cost and performance is real. If I was shooting competition, my approach would be a little more serious.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    That Fuzion rifle is a beast, .223 bolt guns are the best, simply the most fun to shoot. Post some pics of those rifles sometime. I have been tempted to re-barrel my Rem 700 5R, but it just won't start shooting like shit, pisses me off.

PB
    It is quite impressive, thanks. Right in the middle of Covid, I sold an AK for stupid money, and took the cash over to my gunsmith and he put the barreled action together. I dropped it in a KRG Bravo with a Calvin Elite trigger, and it has way out performed my expectations.

Leave the Remington as-is and build something on a custom action. I've gone down the road of Remington and Tikka, really like them, but this time I decided to build a custom rifle and the performance is at another level. The advantage of the Fuzion is small firing pin and stronger action- you can load hotter and the action doesn't even flinch, and brass doesn't get stretched out. I have made loads where the primer radius is as flat as a pancake, and bolt lift is almost the same as normal.

I'll post some pics when I get back to my computer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I did some shooting at 200 yesterday with 77gr SMK's. Average velocity was 2760.9 for the 50 rounds out of an 18" barrel. There was some primer cratering, as I loaded them a bit on the hairy edge of sanity for me.....26.0 grains of CFE223....

The SD for the 50 rounds was 22,7, so I need to figure out where in my loading process I need to make improvements.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    The SD for the 50 rounds was 22,7, so I need to figure out where in my loading process I need to make improvements.
    That shit will drive you nuts. I'll go months without single digit SDs. I no longer sweat modest SDs.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I did some shooting at 200 yesterday with 77gr SMK's. Average velocity was 2760.9 for the 50 rounds out of an 18" barrel. There was some primer cratering, as I loaded them a bit on the hairy edge of sanity for me.....26.0 grains of CFE223....

You just have to make sure everything is consistent

223 is a small case so the powder charge has to be very consistent or you need a powder that offers a little wider node.

I've use Lapua cases to get good results but processing LC, Norma, and even FC mil brass by weight sorting, annealing, and using a mandrel when sizing helps a lot. Neck turning hasn't yielded a lot of benefits in my experience.

Federal 205 primers with 8208XBR have been very consistent for me. I am working on a load with CCI450 primers and N140 and see good results on paper. I need to shoot them over a chrono to confirm.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    HKGuns, are you crimping? Crimping and primer selection have helped SDs for me sometimes. But I don't put all my stock in SDs. It's nice to get 10 or lower, but not worth torturing yourself.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

RMR 69 gr OTMs

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    HKGuns, are you crimping? Crimping and primer selection have helped SDs for me sometimes. But I don't put all my stock in SDs. It's nice to get 10 or lower, but not worth torturing yourself.
    I typically use the Lee Factory crimp on my 556 rounds, or any mag fed rounds.

I’ve tried both ways and have noticed accuracy improvements with crimped 556 rounds at 100 yards. But that was prior to me having the Chronograph I could easily use for every shot, without shutting down the range for an hour setting up my optical.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 05-19-23 at 07:57.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I typically use the Lee Factory crimp on my 556 rounds, or any mag fed rounds.

I’ve tried both ways and have noticed accuracy improvements with crimped 556 rounds at 100 yards. But that was prior to me having the Chronograph I could easily use for every shot, without shutting down the range for an hour setting up my optical.
    I watched your video and will try to add some suggestions.

Load testing at 200 yards is good but be aware of the affect wind can have on your groups. Even with 77s, 1MPH of full value wind change can move your bullet 0.25" at that distance.

Do you feel confident in using that front rest? I shoot best off a bipod or something I can feel my shoulder put a little load into. That said, I don't like adding the weight of a bipod to my AR, and rest it on my pack. It is softer, and holds the handguard pretty well, helping to secure the gun.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    Load testing at 200 yards is good but be aware of the affect wind can have on your groups.
    I'd love to have a place to shoot 200 yard groups. There's almost always some wind at our spot.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Can someone measure some 69 RMR bullets for me and give a diameter, as well as base to ogive if possible.

I've mentioned before that I have not been able to get these to shoot nearly as well in my rifles as a 69 SMK or 77 NCC.

Today, I decided to take some measurements to see if there is something different with the batch of bullets that I have. The first thing I checked was base to ogive and there was quite a bit of variance with the first five that I measured, but the one thing that stood out was the diameter, measured with a chinesium caliper and a Mitutoyo-

69 RMR - .2235", 5 samples identical
    69 SMK - .224", 5 samples identical
    77 NCC blem - .224 on 4, 5th was .2235

I am wondering if the diameter could be causing issues with what I am seeing.
    Last edited by MarshallDodge; 08-01-23 at 15:12.

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast