Thread: where are the Chinese & Russian NVGs?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

where are the Chinese & Russian NVGs?

Looking for a decent set that won't break the bank! Nighttime hiking and possible varmint removal are the primary uses. Waterproof would be great, but being able to withstand the occasional dunking is a must.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Russian PNV57E go for about 500 in unissued condition. With IR illuminators, they're actually not that bad. Pretty comparable to gen II, with a smallish field of view and a tiny bit of fisheye. But honestly not bad, especially considering you don't need anything but a 9v battery to get them up and running. Like no mounts and helmets and stuff to buy. Plus they're pretty collectable as a militaria item in their own right, so the value will likely go up over time, vs. modern night vision that will only depreciate.

Feedback Score
    I would consider one of the little camera deals (Sionx) before I would try Russian or chinese NV.

I remember in the 90's a lot of guys went for the Russian Breakalotski NV at $399. you know because a PVS5 was going to be $900. Six months later when their Breakalotski model died they couldn't find the dealer let alone service for the russian set.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Breakalotski

Well, I'll be certain to report back whichever direction I end up going.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    I would consider one of the little camera deals (Sionx) before I would try Russian or chinese NV.

I remember in the 90's a lot of guys went for the Russian Breakalotski NV at $399. you know because a PVS5 was going to be $900. Six months later when their Breakalotski model died they couldn't find the dealer let alone service for the russian set.
    I can't imagine a more rugged or reliable nod than the PNV57E. I don't have any experience with Sionix stuff, but I hear it's pretty comparable to gen II, which is quasi what the PNV is. The later versions from the 80s are definitely second gen performance even if they don't technically fit the definition.

I think the main thing I have against the digital stuff is that the higher performing ones that people compare to second gen tubes aren't cheap. Especially when you factor in any accessories you have to have to use them as a hands free device.

On the other hand, the PNVs are all there, no accessories needed. All you have to do is find a 9v lead somewhere around the house and tape the wires to the contacts on the PNV power cord. They're a bit heavy, but surprisingly comfortable, and there's a lot of adjustability in the integral mount. To get that level of adjustability with a standalone nod you're looking at a Rhino II minimum. So like 800 for the device, plus another few hundred for headgear and mounts, all to get something that's arguably no better from the perspective of just wanting to shoot things in the dark without giving away your position.

Then you have the whole resale argument. Someone who's looking for budget night vision is probably going to end up ditching it sooner than later. Either to upgrade, or it just didn't strike their fancy like they thought it would and get tired of it. So whether it's scraping together funds to upgrade or trying to cash out, the PNVs will never depreciate because of their collector value. If you get one for a decent price and take decent care of it, you'll have no problem getting your money out. Vs. digital where it's going to lose a good 40% of its value the minute you break the seal.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Recycling day is Tuesday here, so I'd be checking the bins on Monday night around my 'hood. YOUR day may vary.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint_Ironstag View Post
    Breakalotski

Well, I'll be certain to report back whichever direction I end up going.
    Thanks for all the input thus far. Came across these… hmmm AMEX with purchase protection??? :

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...177b5170dnrEZF

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sorry, you get what you pay for. Adjust your priorities, sell some shit, save more, work more, do what you need to do to afford a quality NV unit. Buying cheap crap only leads to buying more of it, until you wise up and buy the quality stuff. In the end it costs you a lot more.