Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EFFECTIVENESS OF THE INDIVIDUAL RIFLEMEN IN AN INFANTRY SQUAD

Feedback Score

EFFECTIVENESS OF THE INDIVIDUAL RIFLEMEN IN AN INFANTRY SQUAD

And here's another, relatively interesting 'Study', from 2017.

[PDF] EFFECTIVENESS OF THE INDIVIDUAL RIFLEMEN IN AN INFANTRY SQUAD - DAIR - Acquisition Research Program - Naval Postgraduate School
    dair.nps.edu › NPS-AM-18-025

LINK At:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...vPALtxDnNLgSQA

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Two officers who never spent a day in the Infantry start their report referencing World War 1, then make judgement calls about what the next infantry rifle should be. Government work at its finest.

Waiting in the optometrists office and read the whole thing. Save yourself the time and don’t. What a waste of time for something they can stick on their LinkedIn.
    Last edited by CPM; 06-22-21 at 16:28.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You deliver more than UPS. Top notch.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just saw that the "taking back the Infantry half kilometer" was in the beginning of that paper. Not sure if this is where that paper came from or this work just uses it but I have a couple issues with it.

1. The overwhelming cause of lack of lethality from rifleman at 500 meter is missing the target.

2. Unless we are going to switch to a ridiculous new battle rifle round a 500 meter hit isn't going to be a hammer unless you hit specific vital spots.

3. I worked with a guy that was a SEAL and tested the 6.8 overseas. He found it no better than 5.56 except he couldn't get easy replacement ammo from outside his supply chain. To quote him "a good hit was a good hit and a bad hot was still a bad hit"

Now to the paper as a whole and the effectiveness of a single rifleman. Well that's really going to depend on which rifleman we are talking about. There are some non shooting mother****ers in an infantry company. There are also guys who are much more likely to engage the enemy early on than others. History is ripe with stories of single Soldiers and Marines doing very heroic things and changing the flow of a battle either by themselves or through actions they took.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    And only hits matter , .30 calibre hit matter more !

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I just saw that the "taking back the Infantry half kilometer" was in the beginning of that paper. Not sure if this is where that paper came from or this work just uses it but I have a couple issues with it.

1. The overwhelming cause of lack of lethality from rifleman at 500 meter is missing the target.

2. Unless we are going to switch to a ridiculous new battle rifle round a 500 meter hit isn't going to be a hammer unless you hit specific vital spots.

3. I worked with a guy that was a SEAL and tested the 6.8 overseas. He found it no better than 5.56 except he couldn't get easy replacement ammo from outside his supply chain. To quote him "a good hit was a good hit and a bad hot was still a bad hit"

Now to the paper as a whole and the effectiveness of a single rifleman. Well that's really going to depend on which rifleman we are talking about. There are some non shooting mother****ers in an infantry company. There are also guys who are much more likely to engage the enemy early on than others. History is ripe with stories of single Soldiers and Marines doing very heroic things and changing the flow of a battle either by themselves or through actions they took.
    Spot on, particularly about the Half Km.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Two officers who never spent a day in the Infantry start their report referencing World War 1, then make judgement calls about what the next infantry rifle should be. Government work at its finest.

Waiting in the optometrists office and read the whole thing. Save yourself the time and don’t. What a waste of time for something they can stick on their LinkedIn.
    Actually, three officers, two of whom had infantry and/or mech infantry commands. One was the Assistant Product Manager (APM) for Army Handguns, Carbines, and Subcompact Rifles, including the Modular Handgun System.

I'm going to read the meat of this tomorrow, too late now.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Hey Kids, I just happened across it & forwarded it, don't blame me for all the content, I wasn't the author. Every once & a while I come across stuff while searching for something else. If I see something that 'might' be of interest to 'some' of us here, I post it, plain & simple.

Best, Dom P.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpast32 View Post
    Hey Kids, I just happened across it & forwarded it, don't blame me for all the content, I wasn't the author. Every once & a while I come across stuff while searching for something else. If I see something that 'might' be of interest to 'some' of us here, I post it, plain & simple.

Best, Dom P.
    I appreciate this type of content.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    THANKS 1168, I appreciate it !! In fact, the other report, [ "In search of the ghost gun" ] or really what appears to be a Master's Thesis is also somewhat interesting, as it follows the relative effectiveness of U.S.G.I. Infantry Small Arms up until at least the RVN era, & possibly further, but I've yet to finish reading it through. THANKS AGAIN

Best, Dom

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast