Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas clothes dryer

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Gas clothes dryer

Looking at a $400 repair bill for a new drum to get my 2016 vintage Samsung working again. Are there any brands that last longer than 5 years?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Looking at a $400 repair bill for a new drum to get my 2016 vintage Samsung working again. Are there any brands that last longer than 5 years?
    I've got a Maytag that's going on 30 yrs. I have replaced a few things along the way, but never the drum. More like the igniter and solenoids now and again.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Not sure why you would need a new drum. I have a 15 year old Maytag, replaced a few parts but the drum is solid. They are really easy to work on, check out YouTube for appliance repair channels.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I put some money in this same dryer last year to replace a worn drum roller. Not impressed with the Samsung dryer. The felt gasket is shredded. Small clothes and drawstrings constantly getting wedged and destroyed between the drum and body. The new felt gasket from Samsung only comes with a drum attached.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Probably not. Durable goods aren't so durable anymore.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Another non-firearm forum I am on was talking about appliances. Several folks chimed in that their local repair people won't work on Samsung or LG any more due to crappy build quality and lack of parts and support. They see a lot of failing Samsung durable appliances. The US built appliances have a better reputation amongst the repair folks, was the take away. YMMV.

We have circa 2008 LG washer and dryer (electric not gas) and they still are going strong. Something happened in the last 10 years to cheapen the appliances.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So, Maytag in my future?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Recently bought a new LG dryer after consulting Consumer Reports and learning that basically their top 10-15 dryers are all LG. Let me know if you need specific model numbers, etc.

PS. No, I don't work for LG, or Consumer Reports, or anyone for that matter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ive had good luck with LG appliances. My brother in law recently replaced his Maytag that was over 20 years old. still worked.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    Another non-firearm forum I am on was talking about appliances. Several folks chimed in that their local repair people won't work on Samsung or LG any more due to crappy build quality and lack of parts and support. They see a lot of failing Samsung durable appliances. The US built appliances have a better reputation amongst the repair folks, was the take away. YMMV.

We have circa 2008 LG washer and dryer (electric not gas) and they still are going strong. Something happened in the last 10 years to cheapen the appliances.
    My neighbor has had many, many issues with her LG fridge...something like $3000 and it didn't last the first year. To make things worse, LG customer service was extremely difficult to work with for warranty claims. I think she had problems with her washer and dryer, too, possibly Samsung. Again, new appliances that didn't work without issues. She is a single grandma, so she is not hard cycling these trying to keep up a household.

I was all about buying an all in one washer that does the ventless drying cycle after the wash, but some digging revelealed a high failure rate with these machines, and also front load washers to a lesser extent, due to all the pumping they need to do compared to traditional top load washing machines.

My washer and electric dryer are circa 1994, maybe Maytag, or Kenmore, not sure. They came with the house and I haven't needed to do a thing to them in 2+ years I've been using them. I run a gallon of viengar through the washer every spring, just to reduce any scale that forms, and clean the dryer lint screen after every cycle. My plumber told me to hang on to these appliances forever, since they will last. If I want to sell them, he will buy them since he has clients that ask for non-electronic machines and will pay a premium.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast