Thread: US ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND (USASOC) 6.5 MM PRECISION INTERMEDIATE CALIBRE

Feedback Score

US ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND (USASOC) 6.5 MM PRECISION INTERMEDIATE CALIBRE

Here's an article from late October 2018, so at least it's not too old. It's author was Nic Drummond, & I've read his stuff before which is usually quite relevant. Even though it's source is British, the primary content is US SOCOM related.

Best, Dom P.

= LINK:

https://uklandpower.com/2018/10/31/t...diate-calibre/
    Last edited by dpast32; 06-23-21 at 16:13.

Feedback Score
    I think it makes sense. For anyone who has shot a lot of 5.56, 7.62, and 6.5 creedmor, it's immediately apparent there are huge advantages with 6.5 creed, especially past 600M. I switched both of my 7.62x51 semi auto gas guns to 6.5 Creedmor and haven't looked back. My 6.5 Creed gas guns are much more accurate, have noticeably less recoil, have further reach, and less wind deflection than .308. It's a no brainer.

When i started competing in long range PRS matches in 2011, I saw quite a few guns chambered in .308. Fast forward a few years, and almost everyone was running 6.5 creedmoor, for good reason. Now, it's mostly 6mm at matches, which is a great bullet for competition, but I think 6.5 creedmoor is better for hunting/killing/mil applications.

Feedback Score
    10-04 on that, I agree 100%. In fact, the 6.5 CM is the choice for my next LMT MWS barrel. It took me a while to decide between 7mm-08, .260 Remington & of course the 6.5 CM. And as you too agree, I also feel the slightly larger diameter & weight of the 6.5 over 6mm will make its difference felt down range at impact, at least for Military / L. E. purposes. Now, where to get the extra cash for the new LMT barrel ?

Best, Dom P.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I think it makes sense. For anyone who has shot a lot of 5.56, 7.62, and 6.5 creedmor, it's immediately apparent there are huge advantages with 6.5 creed, especially past 600M. I switched both of my 7.62x51 semi auto gas guns to 6.5 Creedmor and haven't looked back. My 6.5 Creed gas guns are much more accurate, have noticeably less recoil, have further reach, and less wind deflection than .308. It's a no brainer.

When i started competing in long range PRS matches in 2011, I saw quite a few guns chambered in .308. Fast forward a few years, and almost everyone was running 6.5 creedmoor, for good reason. Now, it's mostly 6mm at matches, which is a great bullet for competition, but I think 6.5 creedmoor is better for hunting/killing/mil applications.
    I have heard that barrel life on the 6.5 Creedmore is significantly less than the .308. I have heard about 5,000 rounds. Any truth to that? I would think if you are shooting competition that you are probably changing out barrels about 5,000 rounds or even less.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    I have heard that barrel life on the 6.5 Creedmore is significantly less than the .308. I have heard about 5,000 rounds. Any truth to that? I would think if you are shooting competition that you are probably changing out barrels about 5,000 rounds or even less.
    At that level of ammo consumption, swapping barrels is merely an incidental expense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    From what i've seen, when people say the "barrel life" is x, that really means (in the real world), that your groups 'may' start to open up slightly, but it's not like the barrel just blows up or shoots 10MOA at x rounds. And barrel life is largely dependent on the ammo used. That being said, the cost of swapping a barrel at 5k rounds for the military is minimal in the grand scheme of things. I think the increased effectiveness is well worth a slight decrease in barrel life.

Feedback Score
    From what i've seen, when people say the "barrel life" is x, that really means (in the real world), that your groups 'may' start to open up slightly, but it's not like the barrel just blows up or shoots 10MOA at x rounds. And barrel life is largely dependent on the ammo used. That being said, the cost of swapping a barrel at 5k rounds for the military is minimal in the grand scheme of things. I think the increased effectiveness is well worth a slight decrease in barrel life.
    True but what about a civvie shooter who may or may not have access to the parts to replace that barrel in the coming future? Not saying you couldn't find a way to, uh, procure one but no doubt the cost could end up being exorbitant. Our pockets aren't as deep as the military's.

Point being that sticking to a more common caliber like .308, which has less wear (ostensibly), might be a good choice for us commoners.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 06-23-21 at 17:54.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    True but what about a civvie shooter who may or may not have access to the parts to replace that barrel in the coming future? Not saying you couldn't find a way to, uh, procure one but no doubt the cost could end up being exorbitant. Our pockets aren't as deep as the military's.

Point being that sticking to a more common caliber like .308, which has less wear (ostensibly), might be a good choice for us commoners.
    Valid point, but how many civvies are shooting 5,000 + rounds of 6.5 creedmor out of their gas guns? I'll bet most guys don't shoot that in 10 years. For the ones who have the money to be shooting thousands of rounds of creedmoor annually, the cost of having a local smith swap a barrel, is still minimal. A new barrel is around $350, and you may pay a couple hundred to have a smith do the work. What's $500 when you're spending over $5,000 in ammo? I've bought multiple replacement barrels over the years, and wouldn't call myself rich.

Anyway, point being, most guys won't ever shoot out their barrel, if we're being honest, and the ones who do, probably have $500 to replace the barrel.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    The problem is agreeing on what the set standard should be and getting the powers that be to bless off on that.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I rock LMT's, so they cost more but you can change out at the range. I don't baby mine in any way. The thing that stops me from dumping another 20 rounds is mirage from can and barrel. Still shoots great.

308 or 6.5 is GTG for most shooters, BC most just don't shoot that much.

I have a 300WM that I suspected that barrel should have been toast based on shooting hot loads every Sunday. Had my gunsmith do some work , he said it shows some wear but was fine. Point is I think most folks worry about shooting out a barrel when they need not. YMMV

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-06-21 at 14:08.