Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Building in Florida collapses.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    BAMF's...under the rubble in parking garages as I understand it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheInside...87565321097228
    Yep. Couldn’t pay me enough to be under that mess.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    It's the first settled structure I've seen crater from no apparent outside immediate recognizable influence anyway...Fox just did bit where there was a report of the building sinking 1mm/year starting back in the 90's. Not sure or didn't catch where that 411 was taken from. Might shed some eventual light??
    Most tall buildings sink unless anchored into bedrock. 1mm/yr isn’t much. That means it sank about 1.5” since it was built in the 80s.

Older structures collapse “all the time”. Most of the time it’s because of lack of maintenance. Older reinforced concrete buildings in marine environments are especially susceptible because we didn’t use coated rebar back in the day. Concrete collects moisture, moisture rusts the bars. Steel expands when it rusts and spalls away the concrete covering it accelerating the process. Lack of maintenance can lead to a failure. Most buildings are also not designed to have redundant structures, so if one piece goes it adds a lateral or rotational load to the next piece. That next piece wasn’t designed for those loads, so it fails. So on and so forth all the way down.

I’m gonna pick my structural engineers brain on this tomorrow. See what he thinks.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Most tall buildings sink unless anchored into bedrock. 1mm/yr isn’t much. That means it sank about 1.5” since it was built in the 80s.

Older structures collapse “all the time”. Most of the time it’s because of lack of maintenance. Older reinforced concrete buildings in marine environments are especially susceptible because we didn’t use coated rebar back in the day. Concrete collects moisture, moisture rusts the bars. Steel expands when it rusts and spalls away the concrete covering it accelerating the process. Lack of maintenance can lead to a failure. Most buildings are also not designed to have redundant structures, so if one piece goes it adds a lateral or rotational load to the next piece. That next piece wasn’t designed for those loads, so it fails. So on and so forth all the way down.

I’m gonna pick my structural engineers brain on this tomorrow. See what he thinks.
    Please do.

I'm questioning everything as if THAT was already known to be a problem, you would think they would have been monitoring & seeing foundation / structural evidence someone can hopefully confirm. Hell, I don't even know if it's factual.

I'm just a skeptic the way it fell...I've see them try to blow up buildings with controlled explosives that failed compared to how this one came down like a stack of pancakes. The mayor certainly has his radar on!!
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Pretty good video explaining the possibilities.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    We forget the lessons of our fathers. Even the Old Testament says "something something don't build your house on sand something". It was an example, not an engineering principal, but still...

As I struggle to return my Dad's 1921 1903 to military configuration, its strange to hear a building built in the 80s called old.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-25-21 at 07:07.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    We forget the lessons of our fathers. Even the Old Testament says "something something don't build your house on sand something". It was an example, not an engineering principal, but still...

As I struggle to return my Dad's 100 year old 1903 to military configuration, its strange to hear a building built in the 80s called old.

Andy
    Amen ,brother.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

This is interesting.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post

This is interesting.
    Sooooooooooo exactly what I said!? LOL

I guess my Structures professor should be proud! lol Again, not sure this is what caused it, but it could have.

Another thing I noticed is that the lower level of the building was elevated and ground level used for parking. I can't find any good photos but from the areals it looks like there is no impact protection for the columns. How many times has some half blind retiree hit one of those? It is Florida after all... God's waiting room. How much damage did those columns take over 40 years? I know countless structures have exposed columns around cars, but it's possible.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Watching that security camera video of it happening is creepy. The center collapses, while the right side sways just a little.....then also collapses. Those poor people in the second part no doubt heard and felt the first part crumble, felt the motion, then it went black.

The death toll is gonna be quite high. Kudos to those SAR folks out there, and RIP to those hapless people in that building.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Sooooooooooo exactly what I said!? LOL

I guess my Structures professor should be proud! lol Again, not sure this is what caused it, but it could have.

Another thing I noticed is that the lower level of the building was elevated and ground level used for parking. I can't find any good photos but from the areals it looks like there is no impact protection for the columns. How many times has some half blind retiree hit one of those? It is Florida after all... God's waiting room. How much damage did those columns take over 40 years? I know countless structures have exposed columns around cars, but it's possible.
    Find a column knocked out by a Cadillac with a geriatric too short to see over the dash behind the wheel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast