View Poll Results: Do you keep a spare bolt in/on your primary AR?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

78 75.00%
  • Yes, inside the pistol grip.

8 7.69%
  • Yes, stored somewhere else.

18 17.31%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you keep a spare bolt on your primary?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Do you keep a spare bolt on your primary?

Please post where you keep it if other than in the grip.

Feedback Score
    Besides a grip, I don't see any viable way to keep it secured, unless you're counting a vg as a separate storage area. I don't know any stocks with storage areas large enough to fit one, unless a sopmod can but I don't think it will.

Feedback Score
    Yes indeed! In the grip.

Feedback Score
    In pistol my grip, I keep an extra firing pin, cotter pin, cam pin, and bolt. In the other grip, I keep a micro copy of SBR paperwork and a small container of lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have never felt the need to. I have been through numerous multi day classes and have never had one fail. I always keep a spare BCG and a spare bolt with me just in case something happens I can just swap out. I could imagine if some thing happened in a defensive situation it would be nice to have one close at hand. I can't see having it on the rifle being much better than just in your kit. But I will say that if you can and do carry on your rifle, rock on. There isn't anything negative I can say other than weight. With an sbr with an eotech, atpial-c, socom rc2, large surefire scout light and mag full 77 gr SMK is heavy enough for me. I aint adding any more weight if I can help it

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Several spare bolts / parts. Never felt the need to carry a spare bolt when engaging pesty critters, cans, paper. The failure of a bolt is very slim and if it did occur in one of those tv-like shootouts defending the homestead, you'd likely be dead before swapping.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bolt/FP/cotter pin/extractor/w spring in the grip, little bottles of Sprinco Machine Gunners lube & 4 CR123's in the SOPMOD.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have several spare 556 BCG's that are oil packed in plastic and stored in very large mortar ammo cans with other stuff. I picked them up very cheaply when parts were readily available.

I have also learned to keep lots of small parts, required for building lowers. Those springs and detents have a habit of flying across the room, never to be found again. It is extremely cheap insurance.

In my opinion, storing a spare bolt on your rifle is insane and unnecessary for most folks.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 06-25-21 at 07:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I keep the spares in a cleaning kit.

Isn't the most likely bolt breakage going to be a lug cracking/breaking off and in that case (once any loose chunks are removed) everything will keep functioning?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    In my opinion, storing a spare bolt on your rifle is insane and unnecessary for most folks.
    I don't know if I would say insane, but I'm good with an optics battery, maybe a little oil, and an allen wrench or two in the grip.

If I was law enforcement, I would carry weapon light batteries before I worried about a spare bolt.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-25-21 at 07:17.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast