View Poll Results: Do you keep a spare bolt in/on your primary AR?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

78 75.00%
  • Yes, inside the pistol grip.

8 7.69%
  • Yes, stored somewhere else.

18 17.31%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Do you keep a spare bolt on your primary?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Pretentious or not, if you expect to be taken seriously it would help if you could spell and apply proper English grammar. Some might see that is a learning opportunity as well.

I understand the spare batteries, I also carry spares on the gun. However, could you not inspect your lights/optic beforehand, much the same way you do your rifle?

I never said to not inspect your gear.
    What determines what is necessary? As I've said MULTIPLE times, the additional weight and cost of a spare bolt/firing pin/cam pin/cotter pins is NEGLIGABLE. Which makes carrying one a NON ISSUE. If you don't want to carry one don't. Is it necessary? Who knows. Is it a valuable asset to have that costs you nothing significant? Absolutely. Perhaps it isn't your rifle that needs to be repaired.

You missed the point when I referenced a CAR GUN. I wasn't talking about your vehicle. Go read it again.

Addressing your numbered points.
    1. Yes, with proper maintenance you can REDUCE the potential for a mechanical failure. Having spare parts further REDUCES the potential for a hard stoppage.

2. Correct, if I have a spare bolt(many actually) I have the parts necessary to deal with a broken bolt. If that bolt is on the gun then I know where it is and it's available when I need it.

3. Correct. Cracks have to start at some point. Perhaps it is during your next firing cycle.

4. Again, I never said anything about not inspecting your gear, nor did I say anything about "reactive maintenance". By default, after you inspect your gear and find a broken or worn part that needs replacing, your maintenance is REACTIVE.

By LOGIC alone it is wise to carry some oil, coolant and tranny fluid as a PRECAUTION to add to proper maintenance and inspection prior to use. Same reason you carry a spare tire.

You understand that accepting that casualties will occur means you are accepting that they are expendable. Much the same way you accept that your car will go through tires. You may even have a flat or catastrophic failure(debris puncture etc) that requires replacing the tire. Your understand that your tires are expendable(more accurately they're consumable). Now, if I asked you to drive through a parking lot covered in nails and screws you would tell me to get bent. The risk isn't worth the reward. Same goes for soldiers. Ultimate goal is zero casualties, the reality is that there is an acceptable level or calculated level of casualties for every mission. Which means, soldiers are expendable.

So you can't possibly fathom a situation where you do not have all your support gear? It isn't possible that your gear could be lost, broken, consumed, not readily available, or stolen? So you know for sure how your situation will unfold and what equipment you will have available?
    I could inspect my light the same way I could inspect my bolt. Either way if someone doesn’t take me serious because I used the wrong form of a word Than I believe that says more about them than me. I get dirty and break stuff for a living so I couldn’t care less about grammar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I bought a magpul grip core with the lube bottle today, I had planned to buy the spare bolt and firing pin version but after reading the more coherent logical reasons on here I figure some sprinco mgl will be needed more often than a spare bolt. YMMV when you pick my broken bolt non operating rifle up from off my corpse you can say “ha I told you to carry a spare bolt f$%ker”

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99cobra2881 View Post
    I bought a magpul grip core with the lube bottle today, I had planned to buy the spare bolt and firing pin version but after reading the more coherent logical reasons on here I figure some sprinco mgl will be needed more often than a spare bolt. YMMV when you pick my broken bolt non operating rifle up from off my corpse you can say “ha I told you to carry a spare bolt f$%ker”
    I have one of those oil bottle grip cores unused in a drawer, partly because I moved to BCM grips on most of my ARs and partly because the grip is where I keep hex/torx drivers and button batteries. There is still room for one of the tiny bottles of MG Lube that Sprinco sends with their springs.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 07-16-21 at 21:44.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Negligible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Interrupt View Post
    I totally agree. Tell me, are both of the trauma plates you have duct-taped to your back in the event you take fire from a .338 Lapua the same brand, or do you think mixing up the brands is better in case one of them offers better protection than the other from certain projectiles?
    It seems to be very difficult for some to understand the difference between practical possible future planning, and being an ignorant drama queen.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    I could inspect my light the same way I could inspect my bolt. Either way if someone doesn’t take me serious because I used the wrong form of a word Than I believe that says more about them than me. I get dirty and break stuff for a living so I couldn’t care less about grammar

Words have meaning. If you want to convey your message, it's best to use the proper words and proper grammar in doing so. If your doctor referred to your heart as your "squishy blood pumpy thing" and that he was going to "tie up loose ends and tweak some stuff" I doubt you would let him operate.

Quote Originally Posted by 99cobra2881 View Post
    Not trying to pick on you, but the specific cores are a waste of space. You can get far more in the grip with just the door and no item specific insert. Saves some cash as well.
    Last edited by Mysteryman; 07-21-21 at 21:39.

Feedback Score
    It seems to be very difficult for some to understand the difference between practical possible future planning, and being a an ignorant drama queen.

Words have meaning. If you want to convey your message, it's best to use the proper words and proper grammar in doing so. If your doctor referred to your heart as your "squishy blood pumpy thing" and that he was going to "tie up loose ends and tweak some stuff" I doubt you would let him operate.

Not trying to pick on you, but the specific cores are a waste of space. You can get far more in the grip with just the door and no item specific insert. Saves some cash as well.
    At this point I really hope you are just joking. Otherwise you must really be a miserable person to be around on a daily basis. Thank God I don’t take my self too seriously.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It seems to be very difficult for some to understand the difference between practical possible future planning, and being a an ignorant drama queen.
    Why yes, it does seem difficult for you to understand that.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Why yes, it does seem difficult for you to understand that.
    I have kind of lost track of who is saying what in the thread, but that quote and reply is gold.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Do you keep a spare bolt on your primary?

Clearly there are no operators here. Nearly everyone knows a true operator always carries a spare bolt up his arse.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Clearly there are no operators here. Nearly everyone knows a true operator always carries a spare bolt up his arse.
    along with a spare BCG, barrel and a buffer tube

Feedback Score
    Wow…this thread has gone downhill.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast