View Poll Results: Do you keep a spare bolt in/on your primary AR?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

78 75.00%
  • Yes, inside the pistol grip.

8 7.69%
  • Yes, stored somewhere else.

18 17.31%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Do you keep a spare bolt on your primary?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    At this point I really hope you are just joking. Otherwise you must really be a miserable person to be around on a daily basis. Thank God I don’t take my self too seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Which part? That part where words have meaning and using the wrong words only serves to show your ignorance?

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Why yes, it does seem difficult for you to understand that.
    I'm not the one posting ridiculous drama queen shit. I have yet to hear any real reason to NOT carry spare parts to include a bolt. As I've said, it adds negligable weight, and the cost is just as moot. Where's the downside??

Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    Wow…this thread has gone downhill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, it's difficult to have a discussion with people who struggle to follow the dialogue and interject with childish comments that completely miss the point.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    This thread turned REDDIT gold. Please please let it be that high risk retail security details are required to carry spare bolts in the grips of the supressed, selective fire SBRs secured in their golf carts. I cannot imagine anything worse than a broken bolt during a high stress undercover op to rescue the mayor's son from certain rape.

You, Sir are a prince among trolls. May your cave never flood!
    Last edited by AndyLate; 07-21-21 at 22:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a good reason for not carrying a extra Bolt in or on the Rifle, and I am gonna be honest about myself when typing this.

The reason is I don't think I would ever need it is this, if I was in a "Gun Fight" & the Bolt broke I would transition to my Pistol, plus I wouldn't have time to change it in a fight. I have never broken a Bolt, while I don't shoot as much as some folks hear I do shoot more than most and not once have I broken one. I have shot out a fue Barrels and while changing Barrels I changed the Bolt so I could have a new Barrel & Bolt together instead of a new Barrel and a worn out Bolt. I have stripped the "Tooth" off a couple Extractors tho.

Never been a LEO or in the Military so I don't have any experience with what happens with those Dude's in there line of work. I only know what I have been told so that is worth about $0.02

If Sh*t goes south and I had to bug out to somewhere all my AR and Glock parts will be coming with me. I keep my parts, what I can in the Plano Tackle Box Inserts and keep those in 2 big Tackle Bags. Personally I believe I will have to worry more about Huracans and stuff like that living in NC so alot of that goes into how I prepare.

I have no idea if I have done this right or ass backwards, I'm 44 years old and I try and learn stuff daily so if I learn something new I will adapt, I also know Bolts can and will eventually break, that is why I inspect them every time I clean my AR's and have spare Bolts and BCG's.
    Last edited by Spooky1; 07-22-21 at 17:25.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You were criticizing people for grammar and spelling, I was merely pointing out that you spelled negligible incorrectly. The irony…
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    It seems to be very difficult for some to understand the difference between practical possible future planning, and being an ignorant drama queen.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    So I have my spare BCG assembly but then also firing pins, extractor, gas rings and cam pins. I am not so much worried about actual bolt breakage although it’s always possible. Rather it Seems more likely I may one day need to throw my BCG or an entire new bolt in a gun if some smaller component like the extractor or firing pin breaks at the range after I travelled far to shoot. Only because it’s easier and faster to put a whole unit in to finish and replace the broken pieces on the used bolt later out of my parts bin.

I see no reason to tote a bolt or any other spare parts around unless I travel far to shoot and do not want to end my day early and let it all be for nothing over something easily replaced. When I go to my closer range I take 2-3 guns, so If something’s giving me problems I can put it away and move on to something else.
    Last edited by eman; 07-22-21 at 12:44.

Feedback Score
    I have a spare bolt, firing pin, and a blowout kit in my M4A1 SOPMOD. Don't notice it. Also have battery storage I do not use. If I was traveling with it I would slap some batteries in the stock. I have experienced every malfunction you can imagine over the years including broken bolts. I had a titanium firing pin and milspec break. Had extractors break, BCGs gas keys shear off, seen bolts blow out, and cam pins blow out into the upper. Everything breaks sooner or later: no matter how well its made. From my experience you are more likely to need a firing pin and retaining pin more than anything else, but a bolt assembly is an easy swap if you have extraction issues or actually need a bolt. Make sure you do a thorough inspection if you do blow a bolt, often times there will be damage to the upper.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If you are worried about having just your rifle on you when SHTF I suggest carrying a gun in your gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Operator AF.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks like a frigen boat paddle 🤣

Feedback Score
    This might work well for snipers: it would definitely counterweight a DMR.. 🤣🤣

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast