View Poll Results: Do you keep a spare bolt in/on your primary AR?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

78 75.00%
  • Yes, inside the pistol grip.

8 7.69%
  • Yes, stored somewhere else.

18 17.31%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you keep a spare bolt on your primary?

Feedback Score
    I do not, but if I did I'd keep it in the pistol grip.

The only bolt part(s) I have in a pistol grip is an LMT Enhanced extractor, springs, and cam pin, just to keep from digging for those small pieces in my box-o-parts. The batteries thing is definitely a good suggestion.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I keep an entire spare BCG in my range bag. I also keep spare batteries, lube, cleaning rod, and whatever random wrenches or allen keys the rifle uses.

The ONLY time I have ever needed it was when I put a brand new (unfired) BCG in my gun. Showed up to a match and the gun IMMEDIATELY started short stroking. Put my spare (fired thousands of rounds) BCG and the gun came to life.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    I have never felt the need to. I have been through numerous multi day classes and have never had one fail. I always keep a spare BCG and a spare bolt with me just in case something happens I can just swap out. I could imagine if some thing happened in a defensive situation it would be nice to have one close at hand. I can't see having it on the rifle being much better than just in your kit. But I will say that if you can and do carry on your rifle, rock on. There isn't anything negative I can say other than weight. With an sbr with an eotech, atpial-c, socom rc2, large surefire scout light and mag full 77 gr SMK is heavy enough for me. I aint adding any more weight if I can help it
    There is no free lunch when it comes to maximizing the effectiveness of your blaster. Every accessory/force multiplier comes with a weight, size and cost penalty. The weight of a spare bolt is far from noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Several spare bolts / parts. Never felt the need to carry a spare bolt when engaging pesty critters, cans, paper. The failure of a bolt is very slim and if it did occur in one of those tv-like shootouts defending the homestead, you'd likely be dead before swapping.
    No one said anything about a bolt failure during a defensive shoot. That scenario seems to be made up by those who can't seem to see the value of having spare critical components onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I don't know if I would say insane, but I'm good with an optics battery, maybe a little oil, and an allen wrench or two in the grip.

If I was law enforcement, I would carry weapon light batteries before I worried about a spare bolt.

Andy
    Batteries are an excellent spare to carry. Does your gun still work with a broken bolt, or does it still work with dead batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I do not, but if I did I'd keep it in the pistol grip.

The only bolt part(s) I have in a pistol grip is an LMT Enhanced extractor, springs, and cam pin, just to keep from digging for those small pieces in my box-o-parts. The batteries thing is definitely a good suggestion.
    All those parts are also there attached to the spare bolt. Swapping bolts is easier than swapping extractors and tiny springs.

Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I keep an entire spare BCG in my range bag. I also keep spare batteries, lube, cleaning rod, and whatever random wrenches or allen keys the rifle uses.

The ONLY time I have ever needed it was when I put a brand new (unfired) BCG in my gun. Showed up to a match and the gun IMMEDIATELY started short stroking. Put my spare (fired thousands of rounds) BCG and the gun came to life.
    Do you carry your range bag with you everywhere you go? What happens if you're in the back country without your range bag and your bolt breaks? Changing a bolt is a field level repair, just like changing batteries or tightening down mounts(carry a multi tool and/or allen keys as well). Catastrophic failures above this are not something you can practically plan for.

Contents on my rifles.

Batteries and lube in the stock (Magpul STR or SRS)
    Spare bolt, cam pin, firing pin, cotter pins in grip
    Allen wrenches for mounts and accessories in grip
    spare space/anti rattle with some soft ear plugs in grip

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wow, pretty adamant advocate there!

Me, no. I might include a spare bolt in a cleaning kit, if I'm out in the sticks for days, doing.....things.

But no, just spare batteries for optics, and gun lights, in spare grip.

I HAVE needed those, at least once I can remember. Glad they were there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    There is no free lunch when it comes to maximizing the effectiveness of your blaster. Every accessory/force multiplier comes with a weight, size and cost penalty. The weight of a spare bolt is far from noticeable.

No one said anything about a bolt failure during a defensive shoot. That scenario seems to be made up by those who can't seem to see the value of having spare critical components onboard.

Batteries are an excellent spare to carry. Does your gun still work with a broken bolt, or does it still work with dead batteries?

All those parts are also there attached to the spare bolt. Swapping bolts is easier than swapping extractors and tiny springs.

Do you carry your range bag with you everywhere you go? What happens if you're in the back country without your range bag and your bolt breaks? Changing a bolt is a field level repair, just like changing batteries or tightening down mounts(carry a multi tool and/or allen keys as well). Catastrophic failures above this are not something you can practically plan for.

Contents on my rifles.

Batteries and lube in the stock (Magpul STR or SRS)
    Spare bolt, cam pin, firing pin, cotter pins in grip
    Allen wrenches for mounts and accessories in grip
    spare space/anti rattle with some soft ear plugs in grip
    As much as I understand the point, at what point do you stop. I mean can you bungee a spare barrel to your rifle. I feel that if a part Goes down it’s going to be more than just popping new one in. You are going to have to find cover and bang that out. At which point I can flip open my back pack and grab my spare bcg and not fiddle **** with disassembling the bolt carrier and losing the cotter pin in the process. To each their own when it comes to this stuff but I feel a spare bolt on board is overkill. Maybe it isn’t but at that time I’ll just be thankful I have another bcg with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    As much as I understand the point, at what point do you stop. I mean can you bungee a spare barrel to your rifle. I feel that if a part Goes down it’s going to be more than just popping new one in. You are going to have to find cover and bang that out. At which point I can flip open my back pack and grab my spare bcg and not fiddle **** with disassembling the bolt carrier and losing the cotter pin in the process. To each their own when it comes to this stuff but I feel a spare bolt on board is overkill. Maybe it isn’t but at that time I’ll just be thankful I have another bcg with me

I prefer to carry two rifles, three pistols, and 17 knives at all times so ha.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Yeah me too

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    I agree but it is mainly "inventory control" since the EBCG (namely the bolt) uses proprietary parts.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    You're an overachiever.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I thought it was cool to carry a spare bolt in my pistol grip until it went flying across the gravel during the class. We were mortaring our rifles to learn the proper technique and it blew the bottom right out of a Magpul pistol grip. This was a well known instructor, and he basically said being prepared is one thing, carrying a bolt is going too far.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast