Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPR Breaths or No Breaths

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

CPR Breaths or No Breaths

I have been attending courses lately to update some of my first responder skills. I have been told by some that when they recertified in CPR they were no longer taught to apply breaths, just compressions. I have been told by others that applying breaths is still being taught. The information is coming from police, nurses, firemen, one person who works for American Red Cross, and COVID-19 has nothing to do with the way they were trained. Opinions are 50/50 on the topic.

What have you learned lately? When you took a CPR course or recertified, did the instructor(s) teach you to apply breaths or not? If no rescue breathing is recommended, what was the rationale behind not applying breaths between sets of compressions? What state do you live in? Is this regional or something that will be phased in nationwide?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    AHA has 2 classes: BLS for healthcare professionals, and BLS for lay people. The former gets airway training (BVM, pocket mask w/1-way valve, but no OPA/NPA), the latter is compressions-only. I don't know what ARC or the other groups teach. This is not location/state-dependent, but 'teaching organization' dependent.

Data shows more community compliance if we say "do compressions only" instead of "do compressions and ventilate with mouth-to-mouth". Then they just won't do anything. This predates COVID.

I have been a BLS instructor for AHA for...well, a very long time.
    Last edited by chuckman; 06-25-21 at 10:16.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If you’re asking, compressions-only.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It's been a couple years since I've done a CPR class, but that last one was compressions only.

Feedback Score
    Just recerted yesterday: both. 30 compressions, two breaths.

Feedback Score
    I did American Red Cross for heathcare workers/first responders earlier this year, I recall it being compression only. My old department was teaching compression only all the way back in like 2015. The argument was that if you were getting good enough compressions, you would be collapsing the chest enough to induce some movement of air, anyway, while moving up to do the breaths wasted valuable time that should have been spent on compressions. We did BVM the patient if we had two people, though.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Coronary perfusion pressure rises slowly during compressions and falls to nada as soon as you stop for breaths. If there is any doubt as to what the right answer is, just push. The only thing as important early on as compressions is defibrillation.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I appreciate the information.

I have some practical experience with CPR and was curious what medical reason there was for compressions only. I no longer carry issued airways or a bag-valve-mask. I was contemplating purchasing a bag-valve-mask for my kit.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    No breaths any more.
    Last edited by SteveS; 06-25-21 at 22:49.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here's a link that provides a few situations where rescue breathing is appropriate.

https://cpreducatorsinc.com/is-rescu...l-used-in-cpr/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast