Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extractor spring strength ranking

Feedback Score
    It might peak at 175 to 200 F after six or seven magazine dumps. But, it cools fast when the bolt gets locked back on an empty.

The springs probably do not see a constant temperature about 150 F.
    Last edited by lysander; 06-30-21 at 13:16.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You can dump a few mags and immediately hold it in your hand. If it gets hot enough to eff up the springs, you’ll be having cookoffs.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It wouldn't have occurred to me to try that. Brass comes out hot and I assumed the bolt was hot too.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Music wire, ASTM A228
    Wire Dia = 0.024
    OD = 0.103
    Total coils = 27
    Square-ground ends
    Load at a compressed length of 0.850" = 2.95 +/-0.3 lbs
    Load at a compressed length of 0.784" = 5.50 +/-0.25 lbs

The dimensions for the extractor springs are:

Music wire, ASTM A228
    Wire Dia = 0.026
    OD = 0.151
    Total coils = 4
    Square-ground ends
    Last coil one end expanded to 0.165"
    Thank you!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I reckon this as good a time to ask this since y'all are talking about Extractor Springs.

Are the Spingco 5 Coil H.D Extractor Springs better than the Colt Gold Extractor Springs, or are they about equal?

I been using Springco Extractor Springs in all but 2 of my AR's and those 2 AR's are Colts and they have the Gold Extractor Springs in them. These 2 Colts don't get shot as much as my others because they have a sentimental value to me that is priceless cos they were my Dad's, I do shoot em a couple times per year and they act just like my other Carbines when ejecting spent cases.

This is a question out of curiosity more than anything because I trust both the Colt and Springco Extractor springs, I have a plenty of both and they, to me, are a lot better than the older ones with the O-Rings that wear out within 3,000 to 4,000 rounds, or there about.
    Last edited by Spooky1; 07-02-21 at 07:59.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky1 View Post
    I reckon this as good a time to ask this since y'all are talking about Extractor Springs.

Are the Spingco 5 Coil H.D Extractor Springs better than the Colt Gold Extractor Springs, or are they about equal?

I been using Springco Extractor Springs in all but 2 of my AR's and those 2 AR's are Colts and they have the Gold Extractor Springs in them. These 2 Colts don't get shot as much as my others because they have a sentimental value to me that is priceless cos they were my Dad's, I do shoot em a couple times per year and they act just like my other Carbines when ejecting spent cases.

This is a question out of curiosity more than anything because I trust both the Colt and Springco Extractor springs, I have a plenty of both and they, to me, are a lot better than the older ones with the O-Rings that wear out within 3,000 to 4,000 rounds, or there about.
    I have some Sprinco springs but just for spares, I have no concern about their quality. However all my Colts run Colt springs, flawlessly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    I have some Sprinco springs but just for spares, I have no concern about their quality. However all my Colts run Colt springs, flawlessly.
    Yup, I have never had a problem with the Colt Gold or Springco's Extractor Springs. I was just curious, really looking for folks opinion.

Thank you for your reply. 🤙

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I’ve used Sprinco 5 coil springs exclusively and had zero issues for years. Oddly, I recently had one that took about a 1 coil height set. It probably had 5-6k rounds on and was still performing flawlessly in a suppressed 11.5 BCM. I switched it out and let Alan at Sprinco know but it was an anomaly. Never had that issue with one before. Most of my customers haven’t had issues with BCM 4 coil springs either. We don’t run enough Colt springs to have a decent sample size on those so I can’t comment on them.

For me, Sprinco 5 coil is king and always will be. Just my experience to add to the mix. I haven’t done any testing on load or anything. Lysander is the man on tech data for that. Lol
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Sprinco spring is the one IraqGunz recommended.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-07-21 at 06:19.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The message I am taking away from this post is that any of the three (Colt, BCM, Sprinco) are good to go for most applications.

Am I missing something?

Andy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast