Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any reason to have undue difficulty installing an Magill MOE 7" Carbine Handguards ?

Feedback Score

Any reason to have undue difficulty installing an Magill MOE 7" Carbine Handguards ?

Hi Guys, I attempted to install a set of Magpul MOE 7" Carbine length Handguards on my recently obtained BCM 14.5" SOCOM Upper ? [ I've orderered a Troy Drop In Rail, but figured I'd install the MOE until it arrives. ] We all realize that installing Handguards on an AR15 can sometimes be more difficult than others, but this particular pair is extremely difficult, considering that I'm even using the specific tool for that purpose. The top goes on just fine, but the bottom is fighting me, especially when attempting to seat the forward edge, just where it should mate with the friend cap. And what's even more unusual is that I actually thought I had it on, until I noticed that the left side front edge wasn't fully seated under the forend cap, yet it appeared to be on until you looked & saw the uneven front left bottom guard ? I truly don't think so, BUT, could the problem possibly be due to the SOCOM Barrel dimensions being somewhat thicker ? Just a thought, but I really don't know what to think at this point ? ANY comments, hints & advice will be very much appreciated. THANKS

Dom P. / dpast32
    Last edited by dpast32; 07-01-21 at 11:25.

Feedback Score
    I have one of those MOE handguards, good solid fit but harder to get together than other guards.
    Try just installing the bottom piece with the heat shield, you should see if the barrel profile is hitting it.
    Also, if I remember correctly, both pieces have to join up at the same time, the upper won’t lock in if the lower is already in place. I think I started from the front then joined the halves at the same time, but it’s tricky.

Feedback Score
    THANKS for the advice, I appreciate it ! Yes, that's a good idea. Which the bottom on relatively tight, I'll be able to determine if it is the SOCOM barrel or not, That will at least clear up that issue ? I've already called for my Son in Law to assist, as I needed him that last set of MOE's I installed on my 6520, & that was a 'skinny' barrel. I'm hoping with 2 people we might be able to get them on properly. I know the Troy Rail I just ordered won't be anywhere near the difficulty I'm having with the MOE's, I hope ?My KAC RAS went on so easily I guess I got spoiled ! THANKS

Dom P.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpast32 View Post
    THANKS for the advice, I appreciate it ! Yes, that's a good idea. Which the bottom on relatively tight, I'll be able to determine if it is the SOCOM barrel or not, That will at least clear up that issue ? I've already called for my Son in Law to assist, as I needed him that last set of MOE's I installed on my 6520, & that was a 'skinny' barrel. I'm hoping with 2 people we might be able to get them on properly. I know the Troy Rail I just ordered won't be anywhere near the difficulty I'm having with the MOE's, I hope ?My KAC RAS went on so easily I guess I got spoiled ! THANKS

Dom P.
    My Troy drop in quad rail was not as easy to install as my "M4" pattern carbine or midlength MOE HGs.

But they are ridiculously solid with the screws installed.

Feedback Score
    Which the bottom on relatively tight, I'll be able to determine if it is the SOCOM barrel or not, That will at least clear up that issue ? I've already called for my Son in Law to assist, as I needed him that last set of MOE's I installed on my 6520, & that was a 'skinny' barrel.

Dom P.
    Your barrel is not the problem. It is your weld spring that is too tight.

Pull back the Delta ring as if you are installing the handguards, wedge the handguard in there best you can (holding Delta ring back) and let it sit like that for a day or two to loosen the spring up.

Should not take two people AND the tool to swap handguards around.

Feedback Score
    THANK YOU both to AndyLate & DG23, I seriously appreciate your kind replies. I messed around trying to get that darn bottom piece on for a while, then finally had to admit defeat, at least temporarily. I almost left it without anything, figuring my Troy Rail will be arriving shortly, but a friend wanted to go up to his Range, & as I'm dying to test fire it, I needed to put something on it. Plus, once the MOE is finally installed, I won't have to be in any hurry to get the Troy installed, at least until I feel like it. Honestly, the Troy Rail appeared to be a good deal, at $99 from Primary Arms, & I wasn't sure exactly how long ththat price would be in effect. Overall Lesson learned in all of this; I should have just ordered that same Magpul MOE H/G direct from BCM, so tI wouldn't even had to worry about it. But, in my attempt to keep the price as low as possible, plus the fact of my already possessing a new MOE, I didn't go ththat route. I will get it on though, sooner or later. THANKS

Dom P.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    MOE or MOE SL?

Feedback Score
    I think it's a MOE, Product Code is MAG440 FDE,which I believe should be the standard, basic 7" Carbine length version ? I just tried again, & this almost broke a finger on my right hand, due to 'slippage'. Last night it was the left hand the got mangled !! OK, I guess it's time to wait for my Son in Law for that 2nd set of hands !!

Dom P.
    Last edited by dpast32; 07-02-21 at 14:38.

Feedback Score
    I think it's a MOE, Product Code is MAG440 FDE,which I believe should be the standard, basic 7" Carbine length version ? I just tried again, & this almost broke a finger on my right hand, due to 'slippage'. Last night it was the left hand the got mangled !! OK, I guess it's time to wait for my Son in Law for that 2nd set of hands !!

Dom P.
    Its not unusual for those springs to be that tight. If you pull back the Delta ring as far as you can, wedge the guards in there to hold it like that and let it sit for a few days the spring WILL relax some. You could likely use a wooden dowel rod cut to the right length to do the same thing (hold the delta ring back as far as possible).

My 6721 is the same way. Since I don't remove the handguards on it hardly ever I don't worry about it. If it was a rifle that I knew I was going to taking the guards on and off a bunch I would relieve some of that spring tension and be done with it...

Last edited by DG23; 07-02-21 at 22:42.

Feedback Score
    Well, I'm very pleased to report that the Handguard is now fully installed, thankfully !! Fortunately, I managed to not damage any additional fingers, other than the 2 initial ones. Within 5 minutes of my Son in Law's arriving, we had everything done. I just needed that 2nd pair of hands, one to secure the gun & hold the removal tool in place, & the other 2 hands to actually 'wiggle' & install the Handguard. I did discover 2 additional points of interest when attempting this operation. To install the Top Guard 1st, & then fit / attach the Bottom's front portion 1st, then work on the fitting the rear underneath the Delta Ring. At least, that's the particular sequence that worked for me. And just for the record, guess what just arrived in the Mail while we were finishing up the installation ? My new Troy Carbine length Rail System !! Ohh well, it's going to stay right where it is in, in the box, at for right now anyway. THANK YOU Guys very much for any & all replies, they were truly appreciated.

Best, Dom P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast