Thread: Busted 9mm carrier key

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Busted 9mm carrier key

The front of the carrier key on my no-name 9mm bolt is bent. The nose lifted like an eighth from the carrier, although the screws were surprisingly still torqued and unbroken. Can anyone here recommend me a source of new keys?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Haven't seen those for sale anywhere. You might be looking at a new carrier unless you can convince a 9mm carrier manufacturer to sell you a "gas" key.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What caused the key to bend? When is it under load in a blowback design?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    What caused the key to bend? When is it under load in a blowback design?
    That’s exactly the question that needs to be addressed before replacing the key. There’s no gas tube and no cam pin, so what bent the key? The only thing the key should touch is the charging handle unless it’s striking the receiver extension during recoil. How is the charging handle? Does the receiver extension (buffer tube) show signs of repeated impact? Which way is the key bent? Pictures?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    It physically can’t go far enough back to hit the ring at the rear of the lower. It is bent up in the front. The only thing it could possibly be hitting is the front of the charging handle, which doesn’t really look like its been getting hammered. Perhaps it is just made of garbage steel, since it was on an unidentifiable bolt. Maybe it bent while getting mortared. Dunno. Its been in that gun for many thousands of rounds, so I’d be happy to just replace it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You cannot use or modify an standard gas key?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    You cannot use or modify an standard gas key?
    I was thinking about trying to do exactly that. I have a used one laying around, and it looks like it might work.

If not, the few sources I’ve found seem to be out. I’ll buy another bolt soon, just so its a known quantity, and scrap this one.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Try contacting foxtrot Mike. They just have them for sale

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Try contacting foxtrot Mike. They just have them for sale
    Word. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Word. Thanks.
    I meant "may" have them for sale. Sorry typo on my phone. I would think you would have to email/call to see if they would do it, but they are on of the larger 9mm ar manufactures at this point