Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Modernizing the Mk 12 SPR: Recce or Not?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I've had a MK12ish build for some time now, and although I do enjoy it I'd almost certainly have gone a different path and achieved at least equivalent and likely better performance as a result. Mine runs a NF 2.5-10 and a Centurion Arms MK12 barrel. It's accurate and does everything I've asked of it, but it's heavy for what it is, and gives up a lot up close for not much top end gain (If any).

I think the MK12 concept has, as others have said, been outshined by 14.5"-16" Midlength guns with LPVO's and decent barrels. There are quite a few manufactures today making chrome lined barrels that will run alongside most of the stainless offerings out there accuracy wise. If I was to do it over again, I'd likely start with something like an LMT MRP with the monolithic rifle length MLOK receiver and pair it with a 16" barrel (probably chrome lined, but maybe a proof CF barrel for the weight savings). You'd have no issues with bipod loading causing POI shifts, and rail mounted lasers would have no issue holding zero. Throw a 1-10 Razor HD in a 1.5" or 1.7" mount and piggyback an RMR/ACRO on top and rule the world.

Feedback Score
    Taking notes all through this thread. I believe this will be my next build.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
    This gun is a somewhat strange hybrid as well. Honestly, the only reason the higher magnification optic makes any sense in my context is it does double duty as a patrol rifle and sees fairly regular use alternating with a Tikka Tac A1 .308 as an overwatch/sniper rig covering an LE entry team. The additional magnification and larger objective/exit pupil make a non-negligible difference in PID (as compared to a 10x LPVO) in low light at a couple hundred yards. If it was not used in the latter capacity, an LPVO wins out almost every time just for the weight and 1x ability…and it’s not like the LPVO wouldn’t be viable at all even in my particular context; I’ll fully acknowledge there’s a part of me that just likes bigger glass.

That said, for me there’s honestly only about a 7 ounce difference between this rig and something like a Gen III razor, because I’d run an offset RDS regardless and generally prefer to have a bipod on anything that’s not a dedicated entry gun.

-Gun is a 14.5” BCM BFH ELW, which is a somewhat strange profile for this application but this barrel is pretty great for what it is; holds a reliable 1 MOA for 5 shots at 100 and helps with balance overall.
    -Badger/Harris bipod
    -Modlite OKW w/Unity Hot Button
    -Vortex Viper PST Gen II (decent for what it is but it’s a placeholder until Leupold finally has Mark 5s back in stock…)
    -Nightforce A496 mount
    -Aimpoint H2 in an Arisaka mount
    -Geissele SSA-E
    -pinned Warcomp (Socom Mini II in NFA jail)

Not sure what happened to the photo in my original post, but I finally snagged a Mark 5 a while back and picked up a Leupold Mark IMS mount to go with it. This gun is done (at least until the Mini II clears):

Last edited by rockapede; 08-24-21 at 15:18.

Feedback Score
    Not sure what happened to the photo in my original post, but I finally snagged a Mark 5 a while back and picked up a Leupold Mark IMS mount to go with it. This gun is done (at least until the Mini II clears):

I have one of those on my SPR. Great match for that rifle. I’m liking it so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Why thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Good looking smoker, nice.

PB
    I think I’m done with my modernizing of my MK12 and RECCE rifle. I think they meet what my intended needs/wants were for both of these rifles.

RECCE, for me, is meant to take me from 0-500 yards. I wanted a “relatively” light weight rifle, that can take the abuse of long range days/lots of rounds, but still give me 1 MOA or less when I need it. V7 Stainless barrel, 1:7 twist, poly bore, medium contour.

MK12, for me, this is my “sit, observe, engage at distance” rifle, but if needed in a pinch I could use it to clear a room or short engagement distances. Douglas SPR barrel from early High Caliber Sales build.

MK12 on top, RECCE on bottom. Nightforce 2.5-10x24 for MK12, and ACOG 4x32 LED CH with RMR for RECCE.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input everyone!
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill.

https://learningfromhistory.weebly.com/

Feedback Score
    My simple take on a "modern" precision AR is based on the Recce concept:

Lilja 16" M4 Navy match stainless 1:8 twist, Wylde chamber, hand lapped (same as made for NSWC Crane SEAL Recce)
    Geissele SSA-E two stage trigger
    Daniel Defense MFR round tube free float with mini rail at 180 degrees for Harris bipod (ADM QD mounted)
    Leupold Deltapoint Pro mini reflex red dot offset at 45 degrees
    Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 mil/mil with Firedot TMR in Larue SPR QD LT104 mount
    Magpul ACS buttstock and MIAD grip
    Magpul MBUS Pro backup sights
    Raptor charge handle

She's a bit portly, but deeply sub MOA capable with match ammo while being versatile enough for just about any engagement.

Last edited by MS556; 10-29-21 at 23:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Responding to the OP, given the focus on urban settings and assuming you likely will not have a security team with you, the concept has to favor shooting and immediate displacement. So shorter barrels and lighter glass would be advantageous.

Feedback Score

This is very close to perfect. I had the same setup nearly, except a Mark 6 3-18x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Northridge View Post
    Responding to the OP, given the focus on urban settings and assuming you likely will not have a security team with you, the concept has to favor shooting and immediate displacement. So shorter barrels and lighter glass would be advantageous.
    I get your point, and I have such a setup. However, the Recce may still have an advantage as a mid distance (out to 600 yards or so) anti-sniper weapon that can still be used door-to door effectively. Some 3-9x40 type mil/mil scopes paired with a mini-reflex either scope mounted or 45 degree offset can weigh less than many popular LPVOs, which are often quite portly. The 3-9x40 in the photo I posted above weighs 15.3 ounces. The duty grade red dot less than 2, about 4 with its mount.

Note that both the scope and red dot are QD RTZ mounted. The scope can be removed and the dot moved up top for door to door. The dot, zeroed in offset position, might be off zero on the top rail, but at those short distances, it will not matter. Quite versatile. While its not my HD weapon. It's more versatile in a "one weapon" only scenario.
    Last edited by MS556; 11-01-21 at 09:51.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast