Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My two BRN-180 builds

Feedback Score
    OP, those are two nice looking guns.

My black Friday purchase was a forged BRN 180 lower, a MI picatinny folding stock (from Brownells), a Tailhook Mod1 (from Barrett) and an 11.25" FM15 upper (from AIM). Literally everything I got for it was on sale and I paid for some of it with Brownells gift cards which worked out to another 20% off (buy $100, get $25 free). I think it was the least expensive way to get a no buffer tube 5.56x45 AR pistol built on a picatinny rail upper (no adapter) with a nice folding brace.

The not so great news is that I got an email from FM, the initial batch of 11.25" FM15 uppers might have the gas port drilled too small. If I can't get mine running right, they will ship it and fix it so it might be slightly delayed gratification.

The upper comes with a picatinny adapter for threaded AR lowers that the BRN 180 lower obviously doesn't need. I'm thinking of putting the adapter on a Polymer80 lower to use with a dedicated .22lr upper.

I think the FM15 should turn out nice and very packable. Some day I'll get a suppressor for it too, that will be even more fun.

Feedback Score
    Well, it looks like my plans might not work out. FM doesn't mention it but their picatinny adapter for standard receivers is actually a recoil buffer for the bolt too. They won't warranty running it without the adapter. I'm going to do some measurements and see if there is space to mount a urethane buffer inside my BRN 180 lower but making everything fit without a custom machined buffer seems kind of unlikely. The upside is that I just need a plain AR lower to make it work.

Feedback Score
    Experimenting with a couple of BRN180S here too. Got these G36 hand guards modded up as heat shields.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Gonna need some more info on modifying G36 handguards for the BRN. Are they attached to the rail that came with the uppers? How were they modified?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BallJ View Post
    Gonna need some more info on modifying G36 handguards for the BRN. Are they attached to the rail that came with the uppers? How were they modified?
    The FDE airsoft one was much quicker. All you do is eyeball how much of the rear of the G36 hand guard to chop to get it to slide back over the BRN180 to the right spot. To keep it oriented snug to the top of the BRN180 top rail with no wiggle, you’ll need to put a shim into the bottom of the inside of the G36 HG. I had a piece of plastic scrap from an old project that worked perfectly. Once you slide it on, you can slide a bolt (1.25” if I recall) through the top hole on the G36 HG to engage a slot in the top rail of the BrN180 HG. The black one was a real HK part and required mods to remove heat shielding and a molded in screw along with some of the plastic on the interior of the G36 part to get it to work.

Last edited by OhThatGuy; 01-19-22 at 13:37.

Feedback Score
    What do ‘Classic’ AR-18/180 look like? Are there definitive models or parts?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Watch Terminator.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    What do ‘Classic’ AR-18/180 look like? Are there definitive models or parts?
    Google AR 18
    Tons of pics available online
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    The order button status for the x39 uppers just went from "Pre-order" to "Back-order".
    Could mean nothing.

Feedback Score
    Renegade04,
    What break-in period (If any) did you need before they ran 100%? A lot of other users had issues that went away after a few hundred rounds. Was this your experience?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast