Thread: Hytera PD782i - opinions and help appreciated

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Hytera PD782i - opinions and help appreciated

I've decided to take the plunge into setting up personal comms and am in over my head. Between figuring out what antennas work with what radios and all the different adapters needed for everything, and also trying to figure out what radio to actually buy I'm totally lost. Most guys I know are pushing me to get a Baofeng but it's not a route I want to go. I've been looking at Kenwoods, EF Johnsons, and Hyteras on ebay and have settled on the Hytera PD782i; probably, maybe. Hopefully someone with experience on this particular unit can chime in with what's needed to build an effective/efficient setup for an armor carrier. I'd also like to be able to pull the radio from my PC and relocate it to a chest rig, or be handy enough to toss in my car or backpack.

To do that I assume I'll need multiple antennas, antenna relocator cables, adapters, etc. Beyond all that I'm also trying to figure out all the programming software quirks, if I'll need any type of license to operate on certain frequencies, and the applicability of the Hytera's ability to encrypt.

Lead me to water.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, you'd need a ham license (basic Technician level) to transmit, legally, in those frequency ranges. And while nothing stops you from buying a radio and pressing the PTT, you learn alot by studying for the license, and then so much more, by talking on the air with other hams (most of whom won't give you the time of day without a valid callsign, so well worth it.)

Thing is, I don't see what this 700 dollar radio does that other 100-200 dollar radios out there do. Might be kinda hard finding accessories for them too.

TYT and Anytone, for example, offer radios that do all that. Anytone 878 (and a few others) provide 256-bit encryption (yes, someone will be along to remind us all how illeeeeegal encryption is on ham bands without a business itinerant license).

Digital radios are great, as even with no encryption, half the folks out there (who're running analog only) won't hear you.

And having DMR capability is pretty cool: talking into a DMR repeater, or a hotspot, gives you nation-wide and global communications capability with a system that's linked through internet, fiber optics, and microwave links.

As always, mission drives the gear train. Who you're trying to talk to, when, and why, will guide your decision.

Certain models of Baofeng work well, but there are more rugged, more versatile options out there.

Me, I like the TYT MD-UV390. It's a DMR radio, cost effective, IP67 water/dust proof, standard Kenwood 2-pin mic connection, accessories are cheap and readily available, etc.

It's perfectly at home in a pouch on my PC, plugged into a hand mic and my ear pro, or riding in the car hooked up to a mobile antenna, or in a backpack for a day at the park.

Truth be told, step one is start learning about radio in general, and get licensed, get on the air....best way to find out what works and what doesn't, all the different antenna types, connectors, etc.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Yes, you'd need a ham license (basic Technician level) to transmit, legally, in those frequency ranges. And while nothing stops you from buying a radio and pressing the PTT, you learn alot by studying for the license, and then so much more, by talking on the air with other hams (most of whom won't give you the time of day without a valid callsign, so well worth it.)

Thing is, I don't see what this 700 dollar radio does that other 100-200 dollar radios out there do. Might be kinda hard finding accessories for them too.

TYT and Anytone, for example, offer radios that do all that. Anytone 878 (and a few others) provide 256-bit encryption (yes, someone will be along to remind us all how illeeeeegal encryption is on ham bands without a business itinerant license).

Digital radios are great, as even with no encryption, half the folks out there (who're running analog only) won't hear you.

And having DMR capability is pretty cool: talking into a DMR repeater, or a hotspot, gives you nation-wide and global communications capability with a system that's linked through internet, fiber optics, and microwave links.

As always, mission drives the gear train. Who you're trying to talk to, when, and why, will guide your decision.

Certain models of Baofeng work well, but there are more rugged, more versatile options out there.

Me, I like the TYT MD-UV390. It's a DMR radio, cost effective, IP67 water/dust proof, standard Kenwood 2-pin mic connection, accessories are cheap and readily available, etc.

It's perfectly at home in a pouch on my PC, plugged into a hand mic and my ear pro, or riding in the car hooked up to a mobile antenna, or in a backpack for a day at the park.

Truth be told, step one is start learning about radio in general, and get licensed, get on the air....best way to find out what works and what doesn't, all the different antenna types, connectors, etc.
    That's exactly what I was hoping someone would chime in with. Many thanks.

I've tried reading through Outlander Systems' old threads and was fascinated by all the cool words that I know nothing about, but as I started researching every term and acronym it progressed into 14 open tabs on Firefox. I'll do some more research into who offers HAM licensing in my area or if there's online courses I can take in the meantime.

Regarding the Hytera, it's not something I'm dead set on and it was recommended by one of the radio gurus I follow on social media. They're available new or in good condition used for around $300-400 on ebay.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Start at ARRL.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have experience with that particular model at work (Airport ops) and they're complete ****ing garbage. We did a mock disaster a few years back and over 400 transmissions failed to be delivered. They drop calls, the startup time can be 4-10 plus seconds(from power off). The volume knob falls off, they're far from loud, we run them maxed out inside a truck just to catch a call. The remote mic is average, still very quiet and requires you to remove the accessory door to mount. The centre mount antenna is retarded, they don't fit most radio holsters and you're always working around the antenna to adjust volume or switch channels. This may not apply to you, but if you want to run a cradle in a vehicle for constant power/charging, you need an antenna adaptor that mounts between the unit and the antenna. Without it the radio won't dock, won't charge, and won't transmit through an exterior speaker either. The docking stations are cheap shit and break constantly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah I'd never want one of those. Even at 300 bucks, does not offer enough, and I know nothing of them, while there are so many good HTs out there that're known quantity.

Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood of course make great radios too, but I like having a wider frequency range, just....because.

Leonidas, I'm General class, and all I ever used to learn and study for Technician and then General was https://hamexam.org/ . It's all you need. When you're consistently doing 91% or better on practice tests, you're ready (only need 86% to pass). Tech is all you need to get on the 2m and 70cm bands with HTs.

Whenready, check : http://www.arrl.org/exam_sessions/search

Use the search to find a club in your area to contact for testing. There are also online venues for this. I have not used them, but 2 people I know have, was no problem.

Also, there are two ham forums with a wealth of information, https://www.qrz.com/ , and https://www.radioreference.com/ .

It's alot like shooting, as you can already tell, in that you dont just pick the tool up and rock and roll, you have to learn how things work, what to do and not do, etc., like how to use repeaters, how to program radios, both analog and digital, what frequencies to use for simplex, etc.

Indeed, that years-long thread by Robert the Texan, with Eurodriver and Outlander Systems testing the crap out of those MBITR clones was inspirational.

Just wait till you're out there in the woods doing that stuff too! Good comms is very empowering!

I think we have quite a few hams here.
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 07-07-21 at 04:18.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    VVV made two great posts. Definitely start with what he said.

I recently went down the comms rabbit hole myself. I'm not a legit hammer yet; but I have a pretty good understanding of how radios work. Some really quick and dirty observations:

1. Military comms and civilian comms ARE NOT the same. The military would be ill served by civilian hardware, and a civilian can't make much use of military hard ware. Same goes for old LE/Fire/commercial radios. Those are best left to the user they where intended for. Trying to 'cross train' niche hardware is often times less efficient than getting the right gear in the first place.

2. Plan first. Purchase second. You need to buy the gear that actually fits your communication plan. Who are you talking to? Answering this question will usually get everything else in place.

3. Comms suffer rapidly from diminishing returns. A $700 radio isn't 7x better than a $100 radio. Truth is even $50 can get a half way decent HT.

4. How easy a radio is to program is it's number one feature.

I think a good conversation to have would be: "what HT's are out there, that ACTUALLY fit my comm plan?" Here's some I think are decent, but feel free to add on:

Baofeng UV- 9r+ : This is NOT the UV5R, and isn't even compatible with most of the accessories that fit the 5R. This radio is IP67 rated, very thick durable feeling plastic, and can pump out 8W on High, and programs easily on chirp. I think for $35 this is a fantastic radio. Almost the price of a FRS radio, yet "duty grade" and can do all things Ham's could want.

https://www.amazon.com/radtel-Baofen...s%2C523&sr=8-3

Raddiotditty GA 510: I think this is one step up from the Boafengs's. The only thing against this radio is a lack of IP67. Otherwise it comes with a better display, supposedly better electronics, runs up to 10W, and comes with the programming cable and second battery. Pretty good deal for $65:

https://www.amazon.com/Radioddity-10...5812985&sr=8-1

If you want to take the leap in DMR: there are a lot of well built HT's in the $100 - $250 range. For that kinda money you can expect some level of water proofing, some encryption, and decent electronics in the radio. Makes it really hard to want to mess with old gear, when brand new will run better and easier.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yep, TYT MD-UV390 is my primary now. Everything a digital/DMR has to offer, does great as analog too of course, IP67, can organize channels into zones, can do almost all the programming from front if need be, liking it very much.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Yep, TYT MD-UV390 is my primary now. Everything a digital/DMR has to offer, does great as analog too of course, IP67, can organize channels into zones, can do almost all the programming from front if need be, liking it very much.
    Since reading through your first reply after starting this thread I've been looking heavily at the TYT and Anytone you suggested, and have also struck out twice on two good ebay deals when I was outbid in the last 15 minutes of the auctions. A set of Hesco M210s and a JPC 2.0 over-extended my gear budget and comms have been pushed to next paycheck but I have a line on an MD-UV390 for a good price and will also probably swing for an EF Johnson 5100 ES based on the recommendations of others. Thanks to everyone who responded and pointed me in this direction.