I've decided to take the plunge into setting up personal comms and am in over my head. Between figuring out what antennas work with what radios and all the different adapters needed for everything, and also trying to figure out what radio to actually buy I'm totally lost. Most guys I know are pushing me to get a Baofeng but it's not a route I want to go. I've been looking at Kenwoods, EF Johnsons, and Hyteras on ebay and have settled on the Hytera PD782i; probably, maybe. Hopefully someone with experience on this particular unit can chime in with what's needed to build an effective/efficient setup for an armor carrier. I'd also like to be able to pull the radio from my PC and relocate it to a chest rig, or be handy enough to toss in my car or backpack.

To do that I assume I'll need multiple antennas, antenna relocator cables, adapters, etc. Beyond all that I'm also trying to figure out all the programming software quirks, if I'll need any type of license to operate on certain frequencies, and the applicability of the Hytera's ability to encrypt.

Lead me to water.