Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How good is HORNADY 9MM LUGER 147 GRAIN XTP

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I gotta wonder about my friends math.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I just added critical duty to my cart and it works out to .70 CPR for 3 boxes @ 50 rounds per box. I know it’s not what you were asking about but figured I’d give a heads up on cost. Not terrible for carry/duty ammo right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I gotta wonder about my friends math.

PB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    If I found these 147 XTP cheaper than FMJ; I would be ecstatic.

LOL "Remember back when...."

I was very surprised at the time, absolutely nothing on shelves, these were sitting there and nobody was buying them.

I figured the shown price was a mistake of some sort at first, perhaps that's what others thought and didn't check the price.

Still odd they weren't being purchased, it was during the obama panic / shortage, seems like anything and everything was grabbed as soon as it became available.

Feedback Score
    i loaded a bunch for a match and they were tack drivers. thier profile also helps them advance up ramp into breach aswell and run reliable in all pistols even the picky cz guns. not sure how they do terminally after real world autopsy feedback but i know they are definitely better than hornadys poor performing critical defense crap. hornady got a bad rap because of critical defense

Feedback Score
    I like it. I hand load that bullet to max published pressure for use out of my Sig MPX carbine with 9” barrel. They are very accurate in this gun.

Check out the video on Lucky Gunner.

https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-147-...rounds#geltest

Feedback Score
    Couple things I’ve seen on the last Hornady loaded, 147 grain XTPs I’ve purchased:

The serrations or skives on the bullet jacket were very inconsistent. Some much larger/deeper/longer than others (on the same bullet). Almost as if the bullet was manufactured unevenly.

The case mouth and primer are not sealed in any way. I’d get about 1-2 in 5 fail to fire (even with a second strike) after testing them soaking in water. About the same level of reliability as US made FMJ.

So so expansion in the tests I’ve seen online.

In my last outing with them, I had two rounds lock up my Glock 19 gen4. I could not manipulate the slide, when they were chambered. Had to briskly tap the rear sight on a 2x4 to eject the two rounds.

Tested them side by side a Federal 147 HST for bullet setback, by chambering them in the Glock. Hornady went from COAL of 1.104” to start. 1.073” after 10 chamberings. 1.055” after 20. HST went from 1.125 COAL to 1.124 after 20 chamberings.

Having said all that. I’ve had great luck with XTP bullets in general, especially when pushed fast and they’ve always been reliable and accurate for me. This was the Hornady “Custom” loading in the tan box.
    Last edited by Phattmatt1000; 09-16-21 at 19:06. Reason: Added bullet setback info and accurate starting COL

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd buy it, Papabear, especially right now that's a good price.

I've loaded many 124gr XTPs in 9mm, and 155gr in .40. The .40 load, over 4.7gr Titegroup is one of the more accurate loads I've developed in .40.

And my 124gr XTP load, over 4.2gr Titegroup, is extremely accurate too.

Heck yes, that bullet profile will feed in anything.

I'd take some 147s at a good price.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010865576?pid=736198

Midway over stocked on 90 and 115gr XTP at the moment. Not the best price, but available.

Feedback Score
    I'd love to find some 147 gr xtp in a +p load now that I have a 9mm carbine.

Or, I might have to start loading for yet another caliber.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

How good is HORNADY 9MM LUGER 147 GRAIN XTP

At a dollar a round I may just consider liberating the 3+ cases of 9mm I have sitting in an ammo can and rely solely on my reloads. It ain’t SD ammo but most of it is quality shooting ammo.

Sheesh.

I reload XTP’s all the time and as far as I’m concerned they are gtg. Obviously I have no clue as to what a fair price is in this environment.

Last edited by HKGuns; 11-27-21 at 10:28.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123