Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How good is HORNADY 9MM LUGER 147 GRAIN XTP

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

How good is HORNADY 9MM LUGER 147 GRAIN XTP

Is this stuff good and what is a reasonable price for it? Found some for sale under a buck a round. Just thinking maybe???

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Good velocity, mediocre expansion, excellent penetration, and solid accuracy. Price sounds good especially for today’s market.

I prefer the 124 grain if using the XTP bullet but definitely won’t turn away the 147.

Currently using Hornady Critical Duty 135 +P for my carry round.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Is this stuff good and what is a reasonable price for it? Found some for sale under a buck a round. Just thinking maybe???

PB

Feedback Score

PB
    A few years back Midway had those bullets (not loaded cartridges) on clearance for CHEAP. Cheaper than no-name FMJ bullets were at the time cheap...

Post lady wussed out and left me a note to come to the PO to pick them all up. (too heavy for her to bring to the door)

Reloading 9mm IS cost effective when not loading plinking ammo.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is this stuff good and what is a reasonable price for it? Found some for sale under a buck a round. Just thinking maybe??? PB
    Excellent feed profile and accuracy, deep penetrator, expansion is best in bare gel and quirky to poor after barriers. Historically popular as a subsonic round for suppression and SMGs. That bullet has been loaded by lots of people over the years.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I reload a lot of 147gr xtp. It has fed fine in P30, VP9, G19, G17, M9A3, Kahr PM9…..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    A few years back Midway had those bullets (not loaded cartridges) on clearance for CHEAP. Cheaper than no-name FMJ bullets were at the time cheap...

Post lady wussed out and left me a note to come to the PO to pick them all up. (too heavy for her to bring to the door)

Reloading 9mm IS cost effective when not loading plinking ammo.
    I wonder if this is the same time-frame Cabelas had them on sale or clearance. Bought a LOT of them as this was during the obama panic, nothing available then these showed up same as your situation.
    Priced cheaper than fmj bullets, made me wonder if they were getting rid of them owing they weren't very good.

These I use or keep in my 'rainy day' box.

Glad to read the experiences with these, that they feed reliably being most important to myself.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I load the 240gr for 44mag rifle for a buddy. He deer hunts with them. Deer are always within a few yards of where they were shot if they don’t drop. He is real picky about how much meat gets destroyed, so they must mushroom well and retain mass. I also use the XTP for my old Dan Wesson 44mag. I know it is not fair to compare 44mag and 9mm.

I just wish I could get the HAP in the same weight as the 147gr I shoot in 9mm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wil View Post
    I wonder if this is the same time-frame Cabelas had them on sale or clearance. Bought a LOT of them as this was during the obama panic, nothing available then these showed up same as your situation.
    Priced cheaper than fmj bullets, made me wonder if they were getting rid of them owing they weren't very good.
    Will need to dig through emails to narrow down the exact timeframe but want to say it was during the ammo salad days of the Trump years.

Back around then Midway was pretty regular about running common (items most guys have heard of) things on clearance for dirt cheap prices. Like - 'How the hell can they sell it this cheap?' pricing...

Clicked their 'clearance' / reloading button one time and they were selling Starline 9mm brass in bulk for a good bit less than the Starline dealer / drum pricing. (the price you get when you buy ten drums of brass or more direct from Starline)

A few weeks later they did the same with .45ACP Starline brass.

Then they did it with the nickel plated Starline offerings in the popular calibers.

Then Speer Gold Dot bullets...

That shit forced me to give up fast food and get serious about the sack lunches.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    The HAP line has got to be one of the greatest things ever for reloaders.

They make it where you really can practice / plink and do load work ups fairly inexpensively with darn near the same exact thing you would carry.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    The HAP line has got to be one of the greatest things ever for reloaders.
    The HAP is a good bullet. Not a carry load, but feeds and shoots well.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast