Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How good is HORNADY 9MM LUGER 147 GRAIN XTP

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Will need to dig through emails to narrow down the exact timeframe but want to say it was during the ammo salad days of the Trump years.

Back around then Midway was pretty regular about running common (items most guys have heard of) things on clearance for dirt cheap prices. Like - 'How the hell can they sell it this cheap?' pricing...

Clicked their 'clearance' / reloading button one time and they were selling Starline 9mm brass in bulk for a good bit less than the Starline dealer / drum pricing. (the price you get when you buy ten drums of brass or more direct from Starline)

A few weeks later they did the same with .45ACP Starline brass.

Then they did it with the nickel plated Starline offerings in the popular calibers.

Then Speer Gold Dot bullets...

That shit forced me to give up fast food and get serious about the sack lunches.

no need to go digging through emails. Back during the obama panic as everyone knows everything was 'out of stock, no backorder' everything else was gone, out of stock, etc. these were sitting there at cabelas and nobody was buying them. Made me wonder about them.

Figured something is better than nothing & at the rate things were going, when is that situation going to end? go ahead and get them while the getting was good.

They being hornady it was hard to think they're bad rounds in terms of reliability & so forth.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I found these 147 XTP cheaper than FMJ; I would be ecstatic.

LOL "Remember back when...."
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This may or my not be relevant to this post, but Bud's Gun Shop has both Hornady 9mm 124 grain +P and 9mm 135 grain P+ Critical Duty (both in 50 round boxes) for .60 cents a round ($29.99 a box). Lowest prices I've seen in months for good HP ammo. I just bought 200 rounds of the 124 gr +P as I've not use it before, and my Rem Golden Sabers 124's stock was getting a bit low.
    Last edited by BobinNC; 07-16-21 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    This may or my not be relevant to this post, but Bud's Gun Shop has both Hornady 9mm 124 grain +P and 9mm 135 grain P+ Critical Duty (both in 50 round boxes) for .60 cents a round ($29.99 a box). Lowest prices I've seen in months for good HP ammo. I just bought 200 rounds of the 124 gr +P as I've not use it before, and my Rem Golden Sabers 124's stock was getting a bit low.
    Qualified Professionals only.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The crimp on the Hornady XTP, as well as most Hornady 9mm loads, is awesome. Zero crimp jump in my 642-1.

Echo the rest of views of the round. Just figured I’d add that if someone is running it in a revolver.

Feedback Score
    I like XTP alot.

Great in .357 Auto. I got about 1185 fps IIRC from a Glock 32 I used to have with the factory Hornady load.

I'll bet the 140 and 158 gr XTP is great in .357 magnum, too.

I never understood Hornady claims of expansion thresholds. In various peoples testing they dont expand at the low velocities claimed.

I think they say 850 fps for the .355 bullets and there's no way. Its a good bullet but they seem to BS about its performance.

They are pretty quick to clog with fabric so be aware of that.

But they are still one of my favorites.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Not hard to get that status from Bud's as any military veteran with a DD214 can Qualify as a Professional. The list is pretty long.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/qualifie..._discounts.php

Feedback Score
    The Hornady 147 gr. XTP has, as stated earlier, has an excellent feed profile, and feeds perfectly through all my 9’s. From Micros through service size, smooth as silk. I’ve used them for years.

Skip

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I told a cop buddy who went and ordered 3 boxes, it was all they would allow in his cart, then somehow ( not sure how he didn't see this first) but cancelled his order because after shipping it was up to near $1.00 per bullet. Ive not known Buds to be shifty like this, but he said it was his second bad experience trying to use "Cops credentials only" purchases.

Anyone else have a similar experience ?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't know. My last order with Bud's for ammo under the "Qualified Professionals" label was July 7th, about 2 weeks ago. I bought two 50 round boxes of Hornady Critical Duty 9mm for $59.98 ($.60 cents a round), Plus: $10.00 Shipping, $4.73 in Tax, $.29 cents NRA Round up: Total $75.00. That doesn't seem excessive to me, but what do I know....I bought 2 other boxes a week or so before that, same price. I made it 2 orders because I wanted to try some first before I ordered more.
    Last edited by BobinNC; 07-23-21 at 18:27.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast