Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 22lr pistol to shoot suppressed?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

22lr pistol to shoot suppressed?

Is there a preferred 22lr pistol especially when considering shooting suppressed?
    I have a Dead Air mask sitting in NFA jail right now and have plans to use it on a few 22lr rifles of mine. But I would like a pistol or two to plink with as well. I think my choices are between:

1. Glock 44, which I do not own, but I would need to get a threaded barrel for it also if I did buy one
    2. I have a 22lr kit for my Sig P226, and they make a threaded barrel for it, but reviews saying it is not 1/2 x 28..?
    3. Ruger Mark IV lite with threaded barrel
    4. Browning 1911 in 22lr with threaded barrel
    5. Get a 22lr conversion for my G19 gen 3 with threaded barrel

Not in that order. But does anyone have success with the 1911 22lr's? What about the 22 conversions on G19's? I've read the good, the bad and the ugly on those. There's no one perfect one or any definite junk one that I can tell. Probably the simplest choice would be to get one of those Ruger Mark IV's with a threaded barrel.
    Last edited by matemike; 07-06-21 at 07:46.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Good morning,

My long time .22 pistol host has been the Browning Buckmark Field and Target Suppressor Ready, long ass name for sure. It is an extremely accurate and very reliable host. I love it, but it is a heavy target pistol.

I recently wanted something smaller and much lighter to put in my ruck for extended backwoods trips. On a whim I just picked up S&W M&P .22 Compact. It is less than 1/2 the weight and size. It needed a different bushing to attach to my 1/2x28 can, so I have only tried it without the can so far.

Shooting both pistols in the same session was a mistake. The Browning is amazing, the Smith is good for what it is. The trigger on the Smith is similar, but not as good as a Glock. My groups were 3x the size with the Smith compared to the Browning. The Smith did feel great in my hand on a hot afternoon compared to the wood of the Browning.

As with most things, it comes down to your intended application. The Browning will be, by far, more accurate and reliable than anything available except other purpose built .22 target pistols. Throw a mid grade red dot on it and it is perfect for pest removal.

The Smith or, I assume by watching others, other .22s made to copy fighting pistols will be fun and a better trainer, but will be less reliable and noticeable less accurate.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    My vote goes to the Ruger Mark IV Lite. Decent accuracy and plenty of after market parts to accessorize the gun.

If you want something lighter you might consider the Ruger SR22. Choice of 3.5 or 4.5 barrels. Probably would need to run high velocity with the can to make it work. Mine required HV to break it in. It will shoot SV now but I've never tried it with a can.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The Federal suppressor ammo (45gr @970fps) seems to cycle about the same as CCI Standard Velocity ( 40gr @ 1070fps) and is copper plated to keep the suppressor cleaner longer.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get the Glock 44 and buy the threaded barrel. It burned my tail to have to spend the extra money but after having a S&W M&P Compact 22 it was well worth it. The sights suck on the M&P. The first outing with it the rear sight went flying. After doing a little research on it I discovered it was fairly common. I would not spend the coin on a conversion for the Glock 19. The Glock 44 is the same grip size as the G19. For what it's worth.

Dan
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mk-IV
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I went with G44 for my Mask, and sold my Smith. There wasn’t anything wrong with my Smith, I just wasn’t really shooting it much. No idea what threads it has. I’m super happy with my G44. Anybody that carries a G19 should consider buying one.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger86 View Post
    Good morning,

My long time .22 pistol host has been the Browning Buckmark Field and Target Suppressor Ready, long ass name for sure. It is an extremely accurate and very reliable host.
    This is what i'm running as well. I run it with a Vortex Venom red dot and SilencerCo Sparrow suppressor. It has been flawless with every type of ammo and extremely accurate and comfortable to shoot.

If you're not looking for a .22 clone of a carry pistol, i think you can't go wrong with the Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark IV

Feedback Score
    I have a Ruger 22/45 and a Kel-Tec P17. The Ruger is more precise and refined. But damn, the Kel-Tec shoots way above its price point if you can find one anywhere.

If I could have just one, I’d go for the Ruger unless you specifically want to emulate your EDC pistol for training purposes. I imagine the Browning offering would be similarly refined.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I'm pretty happy with my S&W and Sparrow. Lots of aftermarket support which I havent tapped into yet. Out of the box the pistol handles well, has a nice trigger and is plenty accurate with CCI SV.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast