Thread: Athlon optics

Feedback Score

Athlon optics

I've seen this particular brand advertised on various websites but have zero experience with it. Are they just another Chinese company?

Feedback Score
    I have a lot of high end scopes (NF, Vortex Razors, etc), and you get what you pay for with scopes. That being said, i have an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24 on a 6.5 creed gas gun, that i have abused quite a bit. Mine has held up fine, and tracks well. Seems to be a good option for a cheaper FFP Mil scope. I haven't used any of the more expensive Athlon models, but have friends who have, and I haven't heard of any issues.

Feedback Score
    I was looking at some of their scopes earlier this year, they seem to be made in the same Chinese plants as many optics.

A member here has a good database of most optics and information on where they are made.

https://sageratsafaris.com/the-optics-database/

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Some of their higher end optics are made in Japan.

Sort of like Vortex or Primary Arms that makes a lot in China but also have higher end models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Some of their higher end optics are made in Japan.
    Sort of like Vortex or Primary Arms that makes a lot in China but also have higher end models.
    Very much so. US-based company, but all or nearly all of their products are purchased from unrelated suppliers in Asia. It appears they do some in-house design work, and it also looks like some of their people may be formerly with Bushnell.

Feedback Score
    The top guys at Athlon all have history with Bushnell, particularly with sourcing and marketing. They basically took their experience and contacts at a large/less nimble company and decided to go at it on their own with a smaller niche brand. They pay very close attention to what the tactical/competition market wants and work to quickly produce and iterate on products to meet those goals. It's a lot like Vortex in that way, as well as other newer brands showing up to cater to the mid-range competition/tactical segment (i.e. Swamp Fox, Element, Arken, etc.)

Athlon sources most of their products from Chinese optics companies. The higher end Cronus line is Japanese. Vortex is a bit more varied with most of their budget friendly items coming from China, then the Viper PST series in the Philippines, and the Razor series from Japan.

I got a chance to review the Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 last year when a friend loaned me a unit. I wanted to find all kinds of reasons to not like it, because China, but it was honestly a nice optic. It left enough of an impression on me that I bought one of the new Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 Gen II units this year.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    They have optics made in Japan and China

If you are looking at the Cronus it is made in Japan and is a very good scope for the $. Basically a Vortex Razor clone (made in same factory). The Ares ETR is made in China but is a very nice optic as well.

Check out the Hide for more info. Lots of guys over there use Athlon. If you are looking to buy, or want more info, my first call would be to Doug at Camera Land NY. He knows Athlon well and will give better pricing if you ask

Feedback Score
    I have never heard any bad about Athlon, they have a really strong following. I am waiting to get my hands on their new Ares ETR 1-10x but it has been delayed just like many products have been, it is part of the manufacturing world.