Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scottsdale, AZ man tied up and robbed by multiple armed intruders.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Simple precautions, may have mitigated this event.
    Absolutely. Dogs, etc. Assuming the attack is real, there's a lot of steps that could have tipped the scales in the favor of the victim.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The wife and I lock the door between the house and the attached garage every night. You do not need a garage door opener to gain access and the time it takes to kick in the inside door will buy you a few seconds time.

Windows can be broken, alarms deactivated and unless you have 360 degree outside camera coverage, home invaders can work around your camera system. If a person can move to a camera without being seen, spray foam can be used to block the lens. At least one dog, inside the home, is a great idea.

The whole family should participate in practicing what to do in the event of a home invasion. If a firearm is part of the home security plan, the whole family should know what is gong to happen and who is going to do it. Don't rule out having at least one edged weapon within arms reach of where you are sleeping. Keep a cell phone next to the bed.

Things can get really ugly in a hurry and it helps to have a plan in place.
    Last edited by T2C; 07-08-21 at 21:00.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Old thread, but just taken at face value, all the obvious stuff he should have already been doing seems like (for this specific as-given)

*Reprogram garage door opener or take it offline entirely immediately after opener is stolen
    *Always lock door from garage to home
    *Have alarm system at minimum on all doors, windows, and the big garage doors, and arm it at minimum while in bed, asleep, or away. In this case, as given, the alarm would wake you up as soon as the opened the main garage door, and they'd still have a locked door between them and the house.

Simple stuff.

Cameras and dogs a bonus. Cameras aren't too hard to set up so that approaching one guarantees you are in frame for that one or another. And it's not too hard, for most homes, to cover all windows and doors with a camera while also covering all cameras with a camera. Little bit of a deterrent, and nice to have when you are away from home/out of town.

Of course, most of the population walk around in Condition White (aka head up ass) and think it "won't happen to me" so, simple stuff is rarely done

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Situational awareness is an important aspect of your personal security.

I walked through a local gun shop/range yesterday. There were several patrons, 2 walking out of the range and the rest
    shopping. There were also 3 employees, so there were approximately 10 people in the building. Out of the people I observed 1 customer and 2 employees had their heads up looking around. Everyone else in the building was looking down, intently focused on their cell phones.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    After a neighbor's house was burglarized some years ago I put in door jamb armor hopefully making a kick-in pretty hard. Later I put in double cylinder deadbolts so if they come in a window they probably aren't leaving out a door.

Took my wife out dancing Thursday night. On a street that sees a fair number of drunks, panhandlers, and fights that spill out into the sidewalk, we spied a grown man walking up and down the sidewalk with face looking down at his phone the entire time.

My wife is new to this country but she's learning fast to keep her head up and on a swivel. I got rid of my smartphone since I realized I too was addicted to it. Flip phones don't seem to cause anyone to stare at them while walking.

Several years ago I read on Parallax Bill's C&R Forum how a member left his garage door raised about a foot so his cat could come and go. He looked up from his paper to find several young men in his living room pointing guns at him. They made off with all his safe contents plus his car. I have neighbors now that do the same thing with their garage doors and me telling them that story has had no effect on the habit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12