Thread: Milling a 1911 slide for red dot

Feedback Score

Milling a 1911 slide for red dot

Hello all. I am wanting to put a red dot on my 1911, specifically Holosun 407K, and need some information. I want to stay away from suppressor sights. I have done a lot of research and cannot find how much anyone mills the slides. I know there are a lot of variables. You can find all kinds of depths on other slides. I have a friend that is a gunsmith and has started milling slides. He is not worried about it, but I guess I just want to know. From what have seen in recent pictures, you can go to the slide serrations or a little lower. I have a slide from Sarco with novak style sights. It appears you will have to mill to the bottom of the dovetail sight. I measured from the top of the slide to the bottom of the dovetail and came up with .242. My friend says there is still a lot of metal before you get to the firing pin channel and extractor. I know a lot of things depend on a lot of things. So, what are some of the depths that folks have milled to put red dots on?
    Todd A. Bledsoe
    "Life is nothing more than slicing the pie"

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    you might want to talk with this guy. He can give you some feedback on his project.

I too want to go in this direction but I am dragging my feet looking for the best set up. The link below (images) are very eye catching.

go to post #14

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/.../#post-2153748

Feedback Score
    I read that thread. But I didn't think to reach out to him, duh! It seems like no one wants to say how deep to go or problems that they have encountered. I guess if you know the demensions you can get all the business.
    Todd A. Bledsoe

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Somebody makes one that goes into the rear sight slot. You lose the rear sight, but you get the dot. I've considered it but didn't pull the trigger.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Somebody makes one that goes into the rear sight slot. You lose the rear sight, but you get the dot. I've considered it but didn't pull the trigger.

PB
    EGW makes them for a lot of pistols, but they sit up pretty high compared to a proper cut.

Feedback Score
    I looked at those. It is going on a duty gun, so I need the rear sight. There is enough room to cut a new dovetail for a rear sight. I showed my gunsmith a picture of what I want and he said no problem. Beings no one is answering my question, when it gets done I will post pictures with measurements.
    Todd A. Bledsoe

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Seems like your smith has confidence and some serious stones. Good luck and let us see for sure.