Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody have a Shield Plus?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Anybody have a Shield Plus?

I checked one out at my LGS and have to say, I like it. Anyone have any first hand experience, positive or negative? Thanks!
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bought one 3 weeks ago to replace my gen 1 shield have about 250 rds thru it, feels pretty much the same as the gen 1's but slightly wider, flat trigger to me is better than the funky hinged one. Been carrying it for about a week, if you like the gen 1 and 2 you will like the plus. Only thing that is a very small issue is the new mag release has aggressive stippling and can feel it on bare skin but not a big deal. Any specific questions will try to answer, had only two short strokes with weak 115 gr. ammo.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’ve had mine for a couple months and it’s been great. I never really liked the ultra small micro 9’s like the P365 because the grip is too small. The Shield is sort of a Goldilocks size for me. I shoot it well and the recoil is minimal. It carries well in my Tenicor Velo 4 holster. Only problem I have with it is the lack of availability of extra mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Not at all familiar with it but may check one out at LGS

Feedback Score

I just got the performance center version with standard barrel length. I went with this solely for the sights but the porting definitely tames the muzzle rise. I only have approx 150 rounds through it so far but I love it. I always liked the feel of the shield but the original trigger was a turn off. I’m replacing my current Sig p938 with this for CC. The trigger is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I am waiting to hear more reports. It's a bad time because very few people are really shooting their guns much. The days of "break myXX" for fun are on hold for now. I shoot about 100 rounds of handgun a week and I have about 3k of plinking 9mm left before I have to go shopping. I guess I can start paying $300 for Tula after than if it is that cheap by then lol. But when I trust these are GTG I will be retiring my old Gen 1
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 81mmcat View Post
    Bought one 3 weeks ago to replace my gen 1 shield have about 250 rds thru it, feels pretty much the same as the gen 1's but slightly wider, flat trigger to me is better than the funky hinged one. Been carrying it for about a week, if you like the gen 1 and 2 you will like the plus. Only thing that is a very small issue is the new mag release has aggressive stippling and can feel it on bare skin but not a big deal. Any specific questions will try to answer, had only two short strokes with weak 115 gr. ammo.
    I agree with everything here minus the short stroke issues. Mine replaced an XD-S 9mm, but my friend had one of the "older" Shields, and this one is extremely similar, just with more round capacity. It even uses the same holster as the "older" Shields as well. Seems like if you liked the "older" Shields, you will like the Shield Plus. I'm loving mine so far!
    Last edited by Illustrator76; 07-21-21 at 14:31.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't have a Shield Plus 9mm. And yes, they are new without an extensive track record as yet.

So you might want to take a look at the M&P 2.0 Subcompact which is a much more proven commodity.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/product/...plus?sku=13248

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/mp-m20-subcompact?sku=12481

Other than weight and the subcompact having a slightly longer barrel they are pretty close. Plus the Subcompact can also handle the regular M&P's 15 and 17 round magazines, while the Shield cannot.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I recently bought a Shield Plus and am a former owner of a Shield 1.0, both 3.1" versions. I sold the 1.0 long ago. The Plus keeps everything good about the Shield and fixes all of the shortcomings. The Shield 1.0 had the old M&P grip texture, then the 2.0 was arguably too aggressive, so the Plus dialed it back to being very grippy but not abrasive. The Plus has a fantastic semi-curved trigger with a wide trigger safety, addressing the most common complaint about M&Ps. It has a crisp rolling break that's very easy to shoot, even better than Gen 5 Glocks. Being a left-handed shooter, I was glad that the Plus is the first Shield with a switchable magazine release. The old Shield grip was kind of flat on the sides with very narrow front and back straps while the Plus rounds it out just a smidge. Finally, the cherry on top is the added capacity from 7 to 10 on flush, and 8 to 13 on extended, magazines.

The compliment I hear the most about the Shield is that it "shoots like a bigger gun." Whatever S&W did with the design, it just recoils very comfortably for its size. My wife, who has very petit hands, wanted to buy a Glock 19 after shooting a Glock 44. Then she shot my Shield Plus and Glock 19 back-to-back for the first time and immediately shot better with the Shield Plus. She didn't notice a big difference in recoil and greatly preferred the Shield Plus.

From my previous experience as a Shield owner, I left the slide of my new Shield locked back and the magazine springs fully compressed for a few days prior to the first range trip. My wife and I shot 100 rounds of 124gr Blazer Brass without any problems. If you're a trigger snob, you'll feel the trigger bar slide across the striker block during the pre-travel and reset while dry-firing. It's not something that I noticed while shooting.
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 07-21-21 at 16:04.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    I recently bought a Shield Plus and am a former owner of a Shield 1.0, both 3.1" versions. I sold the 1.0 long ago. The Plus keeps everything good about the Shield and fixes all of the shortcomings. The Shield 1.0 had the old M&P grip texture, then the 2.0 was arguably too aggressive, so the Plus dialed it back to being very grippy but not abrasive. The Plus has a fantastic semi-curved trigger with a wide trigger safety, addressing the most common complaint about M&Ps. It has a crisp rolling break that's very easy to shoot, even better than Gen 5 Glocks. Being a left-handed shooter, I was glad that the Plus is the first Shield with a switchable magazine release. The old Shield grip was kind of flat on the sides with very narrow front and back straps while the Plus rounds it out just a smidge. Finally, the cherry on top is the added capacity from 7 to 10 on flush, and 8 to 13 on extended, magazines.

The compliment I hear the most about the Shield is that it "shoots like a bigger gun." Whatever S&W did with the design, it just recoils very comfortably for its size. My wife, who has very petit hands, wanted to buy a Glock 19 after shooting a Glock 44. Then she shot my Shield Plus and Glock 19 back-to-back for the first time and immediately shot better with the Shield Plus. She didn't notice a big difference in recoil and greatly preferred the Shield Plus.

From my previous experience as a Shield owner, I left the slide of my new Shield locked back and the magazine springs fully compressed for a few days prior to the first range trip. My wife and I shot 100 rounds of 124gr Blazer Brass without any problems. If you're a trigger snob, you'll feel the trigger bar slide across the striker block during the pre-travel and reset while dry-firing. It's not something that I noticed while shooting.
    I agree with everything posted here. It really does shoot very well for it's size. From what I hear, it easily beats the Hellcat and the Sig P365 in the muzzle flip area (based on numerous Youtube videos). I really wouldn't be worried about the track record either. It's S&W, and it's literally the same Shield they have been making plus a few minor improvements, and extra magazine capacity. There really is no downside to getting one in my opinion.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast