Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have a Shield Plus?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My wife picked one up awhile ago and I just got a chance to shoot it. I did have a problem with the 13 round magazines floor plates popping off during reloads. If you look at the way the floor plate is secured on the 13 rounders, it does not secure via a locking tab like most magazines. Instead the floor plate on the 13 round mags slides over a protrusion and relies on friction to retain it. The floor plate can be easily slid off with nothing more than hand pressure. This is what happened to me during my reloads, I slammed the mag in using the palm of my hand and the floor plate slid off and out came the spring, follower, and bullets. This happened to me twice with different mags and can be easily replicated. Also, if you drop a 13 rounder loaded or not this can happen, I tested it on both grass and concrete. The 10 round mags do use a locking tab and this is not an issue with them. I do like the added grip circumference, new trigger shoe, and the fact it functions 100% with the ten round mags. I hope S&W redesigns the 13 round mags so my wife can carry with those.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkmagurk View Post
    My wife picked one up awhile ago and I just got a chance to shoot it. I did have a problem with the 13 round magazines floor plates popping off during reloads. If you look at the way the floor plate is secured on the 13 rounders, it does not secure via a locking tab like most magazines. Instead the floor plate on the 13 round mags slides over a protrusion and relies on friction to retain it. The floor plate can be easily slid off with nothing more than hand pressure. This is what happened to me during my reloads, I slammed the mag in using the palm of my hand and the floor plate slid off and out came the spring, follower, and bullets. This happened to me twice with different mags and can be easily replicated. Also, if you drop a 13 rounder loaded or not this can happen, I tested it on both grass and concrete. The 10 round mags do use a locking tab and this is not an issue with them. I do like the added grip circumference, new trigger shoe, and the fact it functions 100% with the ten round mags. I hope S&W redesigns the 13 round mags so my wife can carry with those.
    Really? A 13 round mag is all that I have, and I have had zero issues with it. Granted, I only have 1 because they aren't available anywhere, but I haven't had any issues with the one that I do have.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Illustrator76 View Post
    Really? A 13 round mag is all that I have, and I have had zero issues with it. Granted, I only have 1 because they aren't available anywhere, but I haven't had any issues with the one that I do have.
    Load your mag with 13 rounds and do a slide lock reload a few times and see what happens. You will see the floor plate start to move forward and work it’s way off.

Feedback Score
    Load your mag with 13 rounds and do a slide lock reload a few times and see what happens. You will see the floor plate start to move forward and work it’s way off.
    I have done a ton of slide lock reloads with the one and only 13 round mag that I have, and I haven't had this issue yet. Next time I go to the range I will pay close attention to it, but so far I'm not seeing it. I'll report back if I do though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Illustrator76 View Post
    I have done a ton of slide lock reloads with the one and only 13 round mag that I have, and I haven't had this issue yet. Next time I go to the range I will pay close attention to it, but so far I'm not seeing it. I'll report back if I do though.
    Ok, maybe it has something to do with them dropping on the ground. I let my mags drop free when training.

Feedback Score
    Ok, maybe it has something to do with them dropping on the ground. I let my mags drop free when training.
    Ah ok. Yeah, I can't do that because I have no other mag to replace it with, lol. The Shield Plus 13 round mags have been out EVERYWHERE for months now, so I'm just stuck with the one 13 rounder. I don't even mess with the 10 round one because my pinky dangles and I hate it.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The 13-round mag basepads use small plastic tabs to stay in place instead of the magazine spring and post like conventional basepads. If these tabs wear out, then what dirkmagurk describes can happen. This will be exacerbated if the user pushes the basepad forward while seating the mag. S&W addressed the loose spacer problem with the new design but I guess some people discovered another weakness.

4F4140E3-487E-4317-97C6-CEE98A8958BF.jpeg

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    The 13-round mag basepads use small plastic tabs to stay in place instead of the magazine spring and post like conventional basepads. If these tabs wear out, then what dirkmagurk describes can happen. This will be exacerbated if the user pushes the basepad forward while seating the mag. S&W addressed the loose spacer problem with the new design but I guess some people discovered another weakness.

4F4140E3-487E-4317-97C6-CEE98A8958BF.jpeg
    Oh ok. Maybe I just don't have enough rounds through mine yet for it to have worn out enough. I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for it now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Gentlemen, thank you for the info. I just placed an order for one. Hope to have it in a week or less. I'll let you know how it works for me.

Before placing my order, I did shoot a rental at our local range. I fired a hundred rounds through it and it felt great in my hand. Much better than my 2.0. The trigger was very nice.

FWIW; The counter guy said his rental units haven't had any issues yet.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I have a Shield Plus, as well as a P365XL that is my primary carry pistol. I also had a Hellcat but sold that thing quickly.

My thoughts on the Shield Plus. White dot sights are horrifically bad, and slide is not cut for an optic. I bought online and had shipped early on in the release cycle because of the online hype. Learned a lesson about impulse buys.

Shoots accurately, but the sights hold it back. Additional magazines are impossible to find, so you have to be ok with one 10 round and one 13 round.

Sticking with my P365XL which is just a better pistol IMHO. Will probably give the Shield Plus to my wife or oldest daughter.
    Last edited by neil0311; 07-27-21 at 12:55.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast