Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chicago Hotel Gun Possession

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thei3ug View Post
    He's not guilty of anything. He's only been charged. That hurdle has been met. Already happened. However, as a defendant in a criminal case, he has the right not to testify. If he sues a hotel, and these things take time, he can be compelled to testify in the civil case, in which case his testimony in the civil trial gets in to the criminal case, through a few ways in rules of evidence. It would be very difficult for him to bring a claim against the hotel when he'd have to take the 5th.

Which is why, when you have a criminal and civil case on the same matter, which yes does happen, it's in the best interest of the defendant to try and STAY the civil case. Of course, a poor result in the criminal case may stop him from being able to bring a civil case, if one exists, against the hotel.

I wish it were easier.
    The defendant can file a civil lawsuit after the criminal case has run it's course. He has two years to file the lawsuit and can secure a continuance that delays discovery proceedings in the civil case until after the criminal case has concluded. That would seal the fate of any LEO who operated outside the bounds of search and seizure established by case law.

The more I learn, the more interested I am in this case.

If this was a legitimate arrest by officers and prosecutors who followed the law, I have no problem with it. If they overstepped their authority and violated guidelines for search and seizure, I hope everyone involved loses their homes, their pensions and all other tangible assets.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Definately the civil suit afterwards.

By the way, if you want to stop crime, skip the FBI or other LEO jobs, become house cleaning staff at a hotel. Between Denver and Chicago, cleaning ladies are ‘Cleaning up crime’. Pilot coming this fall…. And when the ladies get tired of turning them in, they just jack their stuff and ransom it back…
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    More on Denver, or Moron Denver…

“I was there to drop off a pound of dope, some heroin, and I’m sorry I had a gun on me. That’s what dope dealers do,” he said.
    https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...-documents-say

After the housekeeper found the guns in one of the rooms — both were rented by Ricardo Rodriguez, according to the documents — the supervisor checked vehicles associated with the rooms “and could plainly see in the vehicles plate carriers and high capacity magazines,” according to one of the probable cause statements. The other said a ballistic vest and duty belt could be seen in a white Mercedes with an Idaho license plate.

Officers set up surveillance, and eventually saw Platt leave one of the rooms and Gabriel Rodriguez inside the hotel, at which time they were arrested. Rodriguez allegedly had a gun, meth and heroin inside a backpack he was wearing. Police also wrote search warrants for the rooms, and as they waited for them to be signed, Serikawa was “ordered out” of a room and arrested on a warrant out of Longmont.
    15 round max in Denver, so as soon as they saw mags, they were hosed.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Body cam footage has been released of the police entering the room. I guess I know I won’t be staying at the W ever again.

https://www.fox32chicago.com/weather...own-hotel-room

“The bodycam video, which was released after a FOIA request by FOX 32, shows the July 4 arrest of 32-year-old Keegan Casteel of Iowa, who was later charged with two felony counts of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon for bringing a loaded semi automatic rifle, five clips of ammunition and a loaded .45-caliber handgun into his hotel room at the W. "Why didn't you leave your firearms at home?" says the responding officer.

"Cause it was my gun bag. It was late at night. I emptied most of it out. But those were two of them...[they] were in, like, the side, like, steep side..." Casteel is heard replying.

The responding officer is later heard saying, "When you're travelling anywhere--especially with firearms--you gotta do your research to see if you can bring them here. I know for a fact in this hotel, there's stickers on the doors when you walk in [saying] 'zero firearms' when you walk in. Only a police officer can come in here with firearms."

I’ll be interested to see how this plays out with regards to trespass vs castle doctrine. I believe (I’m not a lawyer) that in IL those stickers mean they can ask you to leave if you have a gun but if you refuse you can be arrested for trespass. But i thought IL has a castle doctrine law on the books that a hotel room is considered your abode. Will be interesting.

Feedback Score
    My kind of guy. Forgets he has a handgun and a SBR/Brace gun left in his bag. I agree on the ‘no guns’ sticker, I would assume that means that CCW isn’t allowed, not that travelling with guns is not allowed.

The mags may be an issue. Cook county isn’t straightforward with mag limits, from what I understand when I talked to a relative about stocking up.

I really don’t know the exact laws. That I think will be key. That he has a CCW and the right to conceal carry in his home state as he travels to Chicago is interesting. Does travelling to another state invalidate your ability to practice your rights in your home state?

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Yes, it does if that state doesn’t have reciprocity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234