Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Press check hell

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminAZ View Post
    I think it was the original military training method. Terrible idea. Yes I have seen it done once or twice.
    I first trained on the 1911 in 1981, served through 1985 and never saw that press check taught or used. USN 1978-1985.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Good lord what a bunch of soyboi's, first off press check is mainly for 1911's in condition 2 hammer down on loaded chamber to confirm you are in condition 2. Run the slide back 1/4" to confirm you are loaded ease it forward and hammer will follow it down, finger is never in front of the muzzle I don't see how it's possible to get a AD doing this but it can only be done on pistols with short guide rods, full length is a no go, done it plenty of times. If I am in condition 1 with finger off the trigger do the same by grasping the rear of the slide, again you only need to retract the slide enough to confirm a round is in the chamber.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    As others have said the pinch press check was an 80's thing for the cool guys because someone saw it done probably when training at the Gunsite Academy. Hell even Magnum PI did it on TV making it even more cool. Not a fan of putting my finger in the trigger guard but remember all those carrying the Garand, M14 and even the LEO's with the Mini 14 stuck their finger in the trigger guard to take the safety off every time. I was also taught to do one hand immediate action drills pushing the 1911 recoil spring plug on the gun belt to cycle the slide. David

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thank Hollywood for coming up with it:

Attachment 66089

Attachment 66090

Attachment 66091

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Its still the easiest way to align 1911 and CZ-75 slides for take down. One would hope folks clear pistols before disassembly though.

Andy

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Casey Ryback? He was top hand in the teams. Saved Hawaii from nuclear destruction and picked up a playmate in the same night. And yet some of you question his press check? I swear, some of you would complain if you were hung with a new rope.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    Then when S&W Gen 1-3 pistols and Beretta's came into LEO's hands, they dumped the pinch check and used the safety decockers to hook your fingers over and thumb over rear of frame to pull rearward. YOU HAD TO BE SURE TO RETURN DECOCKER TO FIRE POSITION.
    Guy in video mentioned same thing with respect to Berettas.

Which is stupid as hell.

Berettas have the loaded chamber indicator (your extractor) and one does not have to pull back anything to be able to tell if they have something in the chamber. That 'indicator' can be felt in the dark using trigger finger without even breaking your grip - No need to be 'looking' at anything.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’ve used it, never taught it. Hard to believe how old i am apparently.
    It WAS a thing 35 yrs ago.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I had never seen the now not recommended press check. It makes me cringe just seeing Larry demonstrate it. Never seen that done, hope to never see it done. How was that ever a thing? Any of you ever taught that method?
    Seen it, been taught it, shown it as part of press check options. It can be done, some guns are more compatible than others, but there are better ways.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I read about it in the gun rags years around the 1990s or so. The writers would also caution about ADs doing the "Pinch check" , they also mentioned that you couldn't effectively do a pinch check on Pistols with full length guide rods.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast