Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Taran Tactical Mag Extenders Reliable?

Feedback Score
    I have never used them myself. Not sure how they work on M&P’s. But watched then dump rounds during a reload on a Glock 17 during a match . The extension just came off , he said that was the second one to do that. That was a few years ago do they might improved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    When shot to slide lock and reload mag slammed into pistol- slide automatically goes forward into battery, without using slide stop/release.
    Ah, that. I have always considered that a feature rather than a bug, but I am open to correction.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have (5) Glock 43 magazines and all of them have a TTI +1 base plate installed. They have over 2k rounds on them and have never given me any trouble.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Are Taran Tactical Mag Extenders Reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Ah, that. I have always considered that a feature rather than a bug, but I am open to correction.
    It would be a “feature” if it did it with every magazine and every handgun you own. It also isn’t a guarantee that it will fully go into battery if it happens. If you get used to it happening and it doesn’t, hope it’s on the range and not a life or death moment. Consistency and reliability are essential for concealed carry or duty in my opinion.
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 07-11-21 at 18:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I have no idea why mag extensions would cause auto-forwarding, doesn't do it on my M&P in over 20k rounds. No idea on the CC issue either, but maybe we'll find out.
    If you slam them in fast and hard, the weight of a full stack of rounds can momentarily cause the magazine spring to slack. It can also happen if when inserting you apply a little too much force front to back (image the magazine slightly angling inside the mag well).

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Auto forwarding has more to do with the angle in which you slam the mag in than the mag itself. If you have a vertical angle, it won't auto forward. If you put a little forward momentum on the mag insert, any mag in a glock (maybe a S&W) will auto forward.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    If you slam them in fast and hard, the weight of a full stack of rounds can momentarily cause the magazine spring to slack. It can also happen if when inserting you apply a little too much force front to back (image the magazine slightly angling inside the mag well).
    I understand, it just hasn't happen to me. I can get pretty vigorous with mag changes in the 3gun, and the pistol matches I have shot over the years. It just doesn't happen with may particular gun. With 23 rounds in a mag I'm not too sure there is much slack in the mag. To load that 23rd round takes a bit of effort.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I understand, it just hasn't happen to me. I can get pretty vigorous with mag changes in the 3gun, and the pistol matches I shot over the years. It just doesn't happen with may particular gun. With 23 rounds in a mag I'm not too sure there is much slack in the mag. To load that 23rd round takes a bit of effort.
    If it doesn’t happen for you, it doesn’t happen for you. It does for me and that is why I won’t use them for situations where it would be problematic. It’s not an uncommon problem. I still use mine for practice and classes, just not for carry or home defense.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    It would be a “feature” if it did it with every magazine and every handgun you own. It also isn’t a guarantee that it will fully go into battery if it happens. If you get used to it happening and it doesn’t, hope it’s on the range and not a life or death moment. Consistency and reliability are essential for concealed carry or duty in my opinion.
    I've been reading other discussions of this "feature" today. Some report jams or empty chambers but those seem rare on Glocks with fully loaded factory magazines. It is something I shall consider nevertheless.

The way I practice I am used it it happening but I don't depend on it. I smack the magazine at a forward angle and start reaching for the slide stop. If I feel the slide drop before I get there I transition to a firing grip and go, which is most of the time. I am not repeatedly bashing the base plate if it does not drop, nor slamming it with all my strength hoping to ensure that it does. However this is probably slower than it needs to be.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I've been reading other discussions of this "feature" today. Some report jams or empty chambers but those seem rare on Glocks with fully loaded factory magazines. It is something I shall consider nevertheless.

The way I practice I am used it it happening but I don't depend on it. I smack the magazine at a forward angle and start reaching for the slide stop. If I feel the slide drop before I get there I transition to a firing grip and go, which is most of the time. I am not repeatedly bashing the base plate if it does not drop, nor slamming it with all my strength hoping to ensure that it does. However this is probably slower than it needs to be.
    I’m not sure if I’m reading you right, but if you think your method for reloading is slower then it could be, can I make a suggestion? Try getting your thumb on the slide release before the new mag is even in the mag well. The way I’m reading your comment makes me think you’re inserting the mag then moving to the release. I go directly from the mag release to the slide release as soon as the empty mag leaves the gun.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast