Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Taran Tactical Mag Extenders Reliable?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Auto forwarding has more to do with the angle in which you slam the mag in than the mag itself. If you have a vertical angle, it won't auto forward. If you put a little forward momentum on the mag insert, any mag in a glock (maybe a S&W) will auto forward.
    I know this is correct, but it just got me thinking. Think of MOA for magazines. The longer the magazine, the easier to create a greater angle at the end. I have yet to experience an auto forward with factory Glock or Magpul magazines from 15 to 27 round sizes. I may have to get a mag extension for a 15 round mag and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am left handed and reach under with my right hand to release the slide. It could be faster to use the PIP joint of the trigger finger on the slide catch but I have missed it before, and it is possible to release the slide prematurely giving and empty chamber. There's no doubt that my reloading is slow but it's tolerably predicable and it doesn't rely on ambidextrous controls. Any suggestions for a 3rd generation Glock?
    Last edited by Disciple; 07-11-21 at 19:54.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I am left handed and reach under with my right hand to release the slide. It could be faster to use the PIP joint of the trigger finger on the slide catch but I have missed it before, and it is possible to release the slide prematurely giving and empty chamber. There's no doubt that my reloading is slow but it's tolerably predicable and it doesn't rely on ambidextrous controls. Any suggestions for a 3rd generation Glock?
    Ah, that makes more sense. I assumed you were right handed. Have you ever tried comparing your method and overhand rack with a shot timer?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    No I haven't. I should. For that purpose would I break the first shot after reload one handed, or after establishing a two-hand firing grip?
    Last edited by Disciple; 07-11-21 at 20:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No I haven't. I should. For that purpose would I break the first shot after reload one handed, or after establishing a two-hand firing grip?
    Two handed grip.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Two handed grip.
    It's not a replacement for a shot timer but I tried this with dry fire on a stopwatch. Beginning with an empty pistol, no magazine and the slide locked back: start timer, get magazine, insert magazine, release slide, dry fire with flash sight picture, stop timer.

I got about 2.5 seconds with overhand rack, and 2.2 seconds with reach-under to the slide stop.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's not a replacement for a shot timer but I tried this with dry fire on a stopwatch. Beginning with an empty pistol, no magazine and the slide locked back: start timer, get magazine, insert magazine, release slide, dry fire with flash sight picture, stop timer.

I got about 2.5 seconds with overhand rack, and 2.2 seconds with reach-under to the slide stop.
    Considering you’ve been doing your method more than an overhand rack, they’re pretty close to dead even. Maybe with time, you could get the rack down faster. Anyway…we probably shouldn’t derail the thread anymore, but definitely use what works best for you.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    To date, every single instance I've seen a TTI extension puke rounds, it's somebody slavishly following the recommendation to not tighten that pin set screw. This, despite the fact that these things consistently arrive from TTI with it set to utterly different tensions. Sometimes the pin can be easily moved with finger pressure, sometimes it needs to be pushed with a punch or against the corner of a table or the like. I prefer the latter.

They have threadlocker on them, and I've taken to installing mine by loosening the set screw, then re-torqueing it to 25 in-lb once I've installed the thing and set the pin in place. I'm not one of those who constantly disassembles mags to clean them, and I think that contributes to them staying secure because they're not being constantly diddled with.

*break*

The extensions themselves don't contribute to auto-forwarding. It's a 2nd-order effect of the tacit change of how the force applied to mag insertion travels the frame; strong chance it'd happen with similar extensions of other brand. You've effectively altered the gun somewhat, in material and measurement; a lot of us have experienced that sort of thing affect function, for example, when it comes to cuts or spring weight changes in a slide.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I posted in another thread about them about two years ago. I haven’t had any reliability issues with mine. Did have issues with my G19 with a G17 mag w/ TT extension installed. When riding in a Safariland mid-ride holster, the mag would get stuck between the seat and b-pillar in an armored LC. And did talk to a buddy in a high level US mil unit. He said they quit using them because extensions would pop off when banged against door frames and such. Those are extreme cases of side tension being applied.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Possibly of interest.

https://ghostinc.com/plus-6-moab-for...ze-mags-black/

I haven't tried the extenders, but I have been using the standard plates for a few months and like them. They are visually appealing and the ergonomic claim I figured was total BS is actually true for my hands.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast