A5 tube
    A5H4 and Tubbs spring
    BCM mod 2 grip
    Troy ambi selector
    PRI Gasbuster
    Magpul MBUS rear
    Vltor upper
    Zev lower
    Wilson “Paul Howe” TTU (currently there’s an SSA in it; long story)
    Sionics or SOLGW (don’t remember which) LPK
    A couple of detent springs have been swapped for Inconel ones
    Boonie Packer Redi-Catch
    Aimpoint magnifier in Scalarworks 1.93
    T2 in Scalarworks 1.93
    URX4 10.75
    Magpul covers
    Blue Force Gear sling
    DD or BCM (don’t remember which) swivels
    Okay Surefeed
    MAWL C1
    Arisaka/Malkoff light with Modlight switch and Arisaka inline mount
    Midwest Industries fixed front sight
    Griffin Plan A brake; it’s a fulltime host
    YHM Turbo K (day) and and Rex MG7K .264 (night) silencers
    BRT .059 gas tube
    BA Hanson 12.3” barrel
    LMT auto E BCG, with a Sionics NP3 cam pin (LMT one replaced with age)
    550 cord
    BCM triggerguard
    PWS fancy-ass endplate and castle nut
    $200 tax paid
    Eggplant sticker, because if I don’t draw a **** on my gun, someone will.
    Rustoleum

There’s oil, a torx key, and batteries in the grip. And like 4 Skittles. I’m working on some Twizzlers.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Weighs 9.85lbs with sling, Turbo K, empty mag, and 3x magnifier included. I detach the magnifier sometimes.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Rationale.

12.3” BA Hanson
    -I like their profiles, already having an 11.3” at the time I bought this one.
    -I feel like roughly 12.5” barrels are good all-round SBR lengths, in the Goldilocks zone between 10.3” and 14.5” guns.
    -in fact, it is halfway between a Mk18 and an M4, so I felt like I could stay proficient with both this way
    -12.3” is a significant enough change from my 11.3” to have less flash with a K can and erode the baffles less (enabling me to use lighter cans).
    -it also sounds better with a K can
    -unsuppressed with an A2, it is only a quarter inch longer than a factory KAC CQB, for perspective. It didn’t stay that way for long, though
    -it has 90fps over my 11.3”, which may or may not be inconsequential
    -most importantly, I had a used URX4 10.75, and 11.3/5 barrels don’t leave a lot of room for error mounting suppressors with that rail. In fact, the 11.3” is too short to fit my can in a mockup.

A5H4 and Tubbs spring
    -it’ll run with every can I own (even a .458 MG7k) with this combo and the smallest BRT gas tube and LMT E-BCG, and the longer I can keep it locked up, the less I have to clean it.

Zev Lower
    -it has more bevel into the magwell than most forged lowers. One of the best that I have seen

Boonie Packer Redi-Catch
    -a buddy of mine had a Radian lower, and I immediately thought “oh shit, a mag release that doubles as a bolt catch would be a significant improvement both for admin clearing and dealing with major stoppagaes”

T2/magnifier/1.93” Scalarworks
    -I needed to save a little weight. I originally planned on a LPVO, and might still do that just because, but it got a little fat. The T2/Scalarworks is pretty close to as light as it gets, and adding the magnifier still keeps it lighter than most (nearly all) LPVOs
    -1.93” height is much better for passive aiming with NVGs than cowitness with a micro RDS.
    -it is more daytime prone-friendly than a 2.25” mount, and this is a do-all gun

URX 1075 rail
    -it is among both the lightest and strongest rails of its length. It is rigid. Its a pain to install, but I’ve done enough of them at this point that it is tolerable

Single-cell scoutlight
    -I wanted something that would be out of the way with the MAWL, and I wasn’t able to do that without changing the way I grip the gun with my 18650 and 16650/2x123 lights.
    -the same rationale applies to the Modlight button and Arisaka inline mount
    -I’m mostly only using white light indoors. While I really like candela, I’m willing to sacrifice a bit in order to maximize both my IR and daylight capabilities by not interfering with my grip zone (lol) or my laser
    -gun needed a diet with the MAWL and longer barrel in comparison to my 11.3”. Well, I guess it wasn’t NEEDED, but lightening it up was nice

MAWL C1
    -the hype is real. It really is more intuitive and quicker when changing distances than the DBAL D2 and better than the ATPIAL-C at illuminating distant targets. Still, the DBAL D2 is really good, and most of my buddies went that direction. Their rifles meet the requirements.
    -I’d like to get a fullpower model, but honestly, the C1 is so good I’m not sure it matters in a non-military context. I say that as someone with access to pretty much anything at work, such as the LA5 and NGAL. I need to get my hands on some Wilcox
    -I didn’t want to eff with gray market stuff on this gun, and while I considered a PERST, ultimately decided not to go that direction

Midwest fixed front sight
    -it takes up less space on the pic rail than most (all?), which was just enough to cram a light button between it and my MAWL
    -a fixed front sight is necessary to satisfy my neurosis, and I pretend that it is justified by keeping my thumb off my can and protecting my MAWL to a degree from impacts. I do in fact ram my gun through loopholes, so maybe that is legit
    -if my dot dies, putting the front sight in the bottom of the ghost ring gets me good hits at “that dude has a $&@*ing knife” emergency distances. For “lemme get behind cover and unfook myself” distances, I have to remove the RDS on pop up the rear iron, since my RDS is non-cowitness

Turbo K and MG7k cans
    -the Turbo K is pretty durable and works pretty well for sound on the 12.3.
    -the downside is that it is really small and predates the model with the flash hider cap.
    -There is correlation to internal volume and flash hiding, in my experience, and the MG7k checks that block at night. I’m sure a SOCOM II fullsize would do extremely well on this gun, but it is longer and heavier than I would like. The Rex’s tubeless design and 1.7” OD give it above-average internal volume for a given length, letting me stay relatively short
    -the Rex can also sounds really freaking great
    -either of these cans are lighter than most of my other cans, and that was a consideration for moving to 12.3/5” from 11.3/5”

550 cord
    -tie down your expensive optic like a professional. Tie down your laser like a professional. Tie down your flashlight like a guy with OCD that hates losing shit in the dark, especially when the thing lost happens to be a light
    -since I’m using a T2 mount that is too tall to co-witness, I set up my tiedowns in way that allows me to unlock the mount and just push the optic aside, to the left. It is both out of the way, and retained

PWS endplate
    -convenience. I don’t have to stake it, and that also makes the parts more re-usable should I need or want to change the RE later (again).
    -it has a QD thingy, and you’ll find that some QD cup endplates are harder to stake than military ones. If you don’t want PWS, I’d recommend BCM, because they stake easily.

PRI Gasbuster
    -it seems to do a better job of handling gas than the BCM or G handles
    -I like the latch handle. Not too big, not too small, not too grabby on gear

I think most of the rest is self-explanatory, doesn’t matter, or simply chosen because of trust in that brand.
    Last edited by 1168; 07-16-21 at 17:41. Reason: Can’t spell

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    This is one of the nicest and most well-rounded rifle configs I've seen.
    I like how you have a justification for most of the parts. Very nicely done.

Few q's about it:
    - How many rounds do you have through it?
    - What accuracy do you get with Hanson 12.5"?
    - have you tried Sprinco Green or a regular rifle spring instead of Tubbs?
    - what was the original gas port size?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    This is excellent.

1-What standard setups does its recoil compare closest too? (Is it choppy like the M4 or smoother like the M16A4?)

2-How did you arrive at that buffer/spring combo?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    This is one of the nicest and most well-rounded rifle configs I've seen.
    I like how you have a justification for most of the parts. Very nicely done.

Few q's about it:
    - How many rounds do you have through it?
    - What accuracy do you get with Hanson 12.5"?
    - have you tried Sprinco Green or a regular rifle spring instead of Tubbs?
    - what was the original gas port size?
    Thank you. It only has a few thousand rounds on it so far. Maybe 4-5k, just based on time. I have not benchrested for accuracy, but i have no problem hitting torso sized steel at 400m. I don’t remember if I tried the Colt spring with this rifle, but I did a comparison here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...68)&highlight= so I had a Tubbs laying around. They do last longer, so there’s that. Although the price difference would probably cover a few Colt springs. Maybe I should try experimenting later. I don’t remember the base port size (or even if I measured it), but BA has said that they are on the smaller side. It was very nicely gassed unsuppressed, and there was no real drama with the can; I just wanted the smallest that will run because I don’t enjoy cleaning, and I only shoot full powered ammo. My 11.3” barrel was around .071 IIRC.

These aren’t good answers haha.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    This is excellent.

1-What standard setups does its recoil compare closest too? (Is it choppy like the M4 or smoother like the M16A4?)

2-How did you arrive at that buffer/spring combo?
    Pic is worth a thousand words. Here’s one with two pieces of brass in the air:
    2CA438C0-7927-4883-ACFF-D6310F33FB9A.jpeg
    2- it was the heaviest I had on hand, and the smallest gas tube port that BRT had. It ran with the cans, with all brass ammo, including 55gr .223 from Aguila and Fiocchi, so I stopped there. I think I tried Wolf steel cased, also, but don’t hold me to that. Even with an A5H0 and the regular strength Tubbs*, it will not run unsuppressed, not even close, not with any 62gr ammo. I was surprised that it runs with the .458 MG7k. V2 of the gun will be set up to run unsuppressed, also, with a buffer swap.

*I’m using the 308 Tubbs in it.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I see you run that stock a couple of clicks out from "nose to charging handle" that some preach. How did you determine this works better for you? Perhaps I should follow a similar evolution.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I see you run that stock a couple of clicks out from "nose to charging handle" that some preach. How did you determine this works better for you? Perhaps I should follow a similar evolution.
    I hold the unloaded weapon in my firing hand with the appropriate grip, and rotate the muzzle skyward. With my humerus horizontal and the weapon vertical, the stock should touch the inside of my elbow. For me, this is roughly A1 length, and results in my nose to charging handle when I go prone. If I’m prone for a while, I usually pull it out another click, and still have my nose barely touching it, but a little less cramped.

I deviate from this sometimes, preferring it slightly longer with a short handguard (6920), just because my left hand feels too close. But even then, I mostly stick to the above technique. With a longer gun and a bunch of clothes and such, I’ll bring it in a click.

When you reload, you should be able to stabilize the weapon with the stock, without being cramped. I have people hold the weapon like they’re reloading and push the handguard down vigorously with their support hand. You’ll feel what I mean in your firing hand wrist.

I’m 5’7”, 140-150.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Which inconel springs? I thought you did a thread on it, but don't remember where.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast