Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zastava M90 Various notes and videos from mag wobble to accuracy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Zastava M90 Various notes and videos from mag wobble to accuracy

Hey guys,

Just a little PSA. I got a new Zastava M90 and it has amazingly bad mag wobble. I contacted Zastava and they say it is normal for the plastic mags to do this. They did say that the steel mags wouldn't exhibit this issue, and that it doesn't affect reliability in any case. Given that 5.56 AKs are known to be a bit more picky I figured I would let you guys know. If the metal mags solve the issue I won't worry about it. In any case, I would probably avoid ordering the plastic Zastava mags unless you like hilarious mag flop.

‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.’

Don't go stupid places. Don't hang out with stupid people. Don't do stupid things. -- John Farnam

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have some of their older 556 mags if you want to give it a shot

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have two steel mags coming. If they don't work I will hit you up. I think there is a 60% chance they will mostly solve the issue. Fingers crossed.
    ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.’

Don't go stupid places. Don't hang out with stupid people. Don't do stupid things. -- John Farnam

Feedback Score
    Greg, What they're telling you is correct. The magazine well opening for the Zastava 5.56x45 rifles has AKM dimensions like a Galil magazine well. This is why regular AK mags lock in so well. The Zastava metal magazines and the real Zastava plastic magazines have the AKM dimensions and lock in just fine without near as much wobble. While the magazine they shipped with the rifle may fit, I think that you'll find it's longer front to back, but not as wide as the Zastava metal and real Zastava plastic magazines. I'm not saying that the magazine they included with the rifle is crap, it's just not really made for that rifle. It's disappointing that Zastava decided to include them when they have access to the real factory plastic magazines. Pictured below is one of the real Zastava plastic 5.56x45 magazines. So far as I know, they were only included with the Century imported M85 pistols. I have one and I'd actually say that it's a step above the metal magazines because it's just as just as reliable and lighter. One's pictured in the pistol below.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Well that makes me feel better. I have a few steel mags arriving Thursday. If they work I will just use the garbage mags they shipped it with as range beaters. They sent me a mystery package today. Maybe it's a replacement mag! lol

Feedback Score
    I bought 80 of the metal 30rd mags from J&G about seven years ago. I didn't even have a rifle that would use them, but at $9.99ea I couldn't refuse them. Guns are the one hobby where hoarding usually pays off. J&G didn't wrap them properly, but I really couldn't complain too much given the price.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had failure to ignite a few times with x39. In 20 years I can count maybe 2 or 3 times but each time the primer was seated too far in

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I've had failure to ignite a few times with x39. In 20 years I can count maybe 2 or 3 times but each time the primer was seated too far in

I had that happen with a 5.45 round too I think. Round was only lightly dimpled and subsequent re-chamberings and attempts to fire failed. Gun cycled through the rest of the mag fine. I figured at the time the primer was set just slightly too deeply.

Feedback Score
    That is crazy.

Any accuracy tests yet?

I wish they would have cut the barrels to 16.25” and thread them 1/2x28. Everything else about this AK is cool.

Feedback Score
    I’m glad they kept the original military barrel length, but I do wish they would have included the original flash hider. Though I do have a nice kit built M21S, I’m hoping that Zastava imports factory rifles to the US.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast