Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zero with which HD round?

Feedback Score
    Yes the 50 grain loaded by BH is a different compound and is more robust than other TSX bullets, that's why I like them. Very good barrier round with a tradeoff of a reduced range but in my AOR, it's perfect. Also it is not available as a reloading component.

Took the 12.5" Troy to the range yesterday and after a quick adjustment on a three round test on the 15 yard zero target put these two on the second target at 50 yards with the 50g BH round. With the price of these bad boys, held to only two shots. The rifle has an older Aimpoint micro, R1 I believe, that has a 4 moa dot so I'm pretty happy with this. Followed up with a "fun to watch" hit on a water filled milk bottle at 100 yards just for my own edification. Cleverly forgot to bring the 70g rounds to compare point of impact...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YUxmZFcpvEFwwJxJ7 - target
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ecnsvaL8MNfJbPbXA - sacrificial milk bottle. wound was fatal
    Last edited by rocsteady; 07-15-21 at 11:30.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So; I have two polar opposite views on this. Really it comes down to the end user and how serious you are about perfection.

For the average user: 556 is 556. Zero anything at 50 and you will be point of man at 300. No sweat.

For the serious shooter: Take both loads out, and shoot them next too each other. In both rifles. Note the difference in POA/POI between each load. In my experience the load with the most velocity will print higher than a slower one. You need to actually verify what this difference is. At 50y you might expect an 1" or so of deviation. At 100y this will grow to around 2".

I also dont think you should be holding a round in high regards that you aren't able to actually train with. I really dont care what experts claim which round is 'best' if you are not able to afford a sufficient amount of ammo to actually train with. I reload; and have two different "go to" loads. One is a 62gr FMJ and the other is a 77 SMK, both are loaded to 'spicy' pressures. When shooting either of these loads; even though they are 1" deviation at 50 yards; I have to account for a much different flight down range. Shooting IPSC sized steel at 300 - 500 yards I can absolutely tell the different in flight of the round. This kinda data only comes from experience. You can always add a follow up shot; because these are semi auto's after all, but I think a serious shooter should strive for first round hits at any reasonable distance.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    So; I have two polar opposite views on this. Really it comes down to the end user and how serious you are about perfection.
    More than the end user would it not come down to the end use and the way the gun is set up, with irons/RDS or close range training one hand, and magnified optic longer range (or precision) on the other? What's the point of training using premium ammunition for off-hand shooting at close range, no matter how serious a shooter you are?
    Last edited by Disciple; 07-15-21 at 17:40.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I am with turnburglar... Staple 4 white paper plates to a target stand at 50 yards. Shoot 10 rounds of each load through both rifles at each of the 4 plates. If you get 8-10 rounds on each plate call it a day and go do something productive like mowing the grass.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    More than the end user would it not come down to the end use and the way the gun is set up, with irons/RDS or close range training one hand, and magnified optic longer range (or precision) on the other? What's the point of training using premium ammunition for off-hand shooting at close range, no matter how serious a shooter you are?
    Yea, magnification makes a difference. I refer to this effect as 'sig figs', or 'significant figures'. In science sig figs are used to determine the magnitude of necessary precision. Is something measure to 1/4" good engough or do you NEED to measure it in microns? For a red dot, the precision of ammo or even zero used is much less magnified than using an 8x optic. For a red dot zero I actually prefer a 25 yard zero as its very close at 25 and 300 yards. Thats where most targets end up for me.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    So; I have two polar opposite views on this. Really it comes down to the end user.

For the average user: 556 is 556. Zero anything at 50 and you will be point of man at 300. No sweat.
    This is what works for me. Urban environment, longest shot given the city limits is at most 75-100 yds if chaos should erupt.

Feedback Score
    Really appreciate all the opinions. I'm thinking a combo of a bunch is how I'll go. Going to shoot 10 rounds of each (Black Hills 50g, Asym / handloaded 70g) from each rifle (12.5" & 16") and see that I can hit plate consistently at 50 yards and same for silhouette at 100 yards for starters. Then assuming that's successful, will see where the M855 is for reference and training purposes.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I say zero with what you have most of, and learn your dope for other loads (as in confirm at various distances, not just calculate/estimate). For me, that's my 62gr FMJ load, I call it "Load#1".

And this middle of the road approach has my 55gr SP load a bit high, and my 75 and 77gr OTM loads a bit low, at distance. Which I like.

50 yd zero for me, with RDS or irons, 100yd zero for magnified optics.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    100 yards max in “urban environments”?? Anybody ranged their local big box store/Walmart from the parking lot perimeter lately??

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyviking View Post
    100 yards max in “urban environments”?? Anybody ranged their local big box store/Walmart from the parking lot perimeter lately??
    Non-LE folks would have trouble justifying an engagement across a mega-store parking lot. In a WROL scenario - well, people are pretty big and being shot even 4 inches above or below center mass is bad news.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 07-17-21 at 07:42.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast