Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies that influence gun sales

Feedback Score

Movies that influence gun sales

When "Lethal Weapon" was released in 1987, the Beretta M9 had already been selected as the winner of the XM9 trials. However, the movie put the Beretta 92 in the spotlight and attached a "cool" factor. Not aware of any statistics, but I would imagine that it contributed in some respects to Beretta 92 sales.

I remember sitting in the theatre in 1984 watching "The Terminator". Seeing the Franchi SPAS 12 shotgun in action, I can recall thinking "Damn, that's one awesome shotgun. Can you buy those?" Not too much later I did end up buying one.

In the 1970's, Hollywood seemed fond of using the Armalite AR-180 in many movies and TV shows. I recall seeing it in everything from the old "S.W.A.T." series (where it was featured prominently in an episode called "The Bravo Enigma") to "T.J. Hooker". Don't know if the publicity convinced anyone to purchase one, but who knows?

Looking at the more common firearms in decades past such as the AR-15 and M1911, I'm not sure if there were many particular TV shows or movies in which these guns made such an impression that would move someone to go out and buy one. The AR-15 hit the TV screen in a big way with the previously mentioned "S.W.A.T." in the mid-1970's, and this was before there was much in the way of Vietnam-related content. Given the immense popularity of the show in it's two-season run, I'd bet that it helped sell an SP-1 or two.

Thoughts/opinions?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Allegedly Dirty Harry and the S&W Model 29 was possibly the biggest sales booster.

Feedback Score
    Magnum carried a 1911, my dad had a 1911. Must be the best gun there is then. Good enough reasoning for my juvenile little mind.

Course now I'm older and I still like 1911s... ?brainwashed?
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've always wanted the porcelain German Glock 7 but have yet to find one. Just as well, though, as it probably costs more than I make in a month.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ditto the S&W model 29 from Dirty Harry!

The Terminator also made a star out of the little known John Browning-designed Winchester Model 1887 lever-action shotgun; LOVE those scenes of Arnold racking the next round whilst flipping it around on the motorcycle chase scene!
    Last edited by Lefty223; 07-11-21 at 09:59.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    Not a movie but A Team sold god knows how many Mini-14’s.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just about any movie in the '80s with an MP5. Especially who dares wins/final option.

Feedback Score
    Saving private Ryan and Band of Brothers for any WW2 related weapon both for shooting and collecting.

Feedback Score
    Desert Eagle hands down.

Feedback Score
    Desert Eagle in "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man."

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast