Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever shot a barrel out? (RFI on personally shot out barrels...)

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Ever shot a barrel out? (RFI on personally shot out barrels...)

With all the conflicting info, variables in ammo/barrel types/rate of fire, etc, I'd be interested in knowing anyone's personal experiences shooting barrels to the end of their service lives. Any details you can share would be great.

For example, "I shot my dept issued patrol rifle's barrel out by putting 3k rds per year on it for 5 years. It was a Colt 6920 that was only fired on semi, and it was rebuilt once it wouldn't hold 3MOA with duty ammo. Duty ammo was 55gr Gold Dot. "

While I fired 9k rds last year, I put maybe 2k on any one weapon, making it unlikely that I'll push any one weapon past 15k soon. Personal accuracy standards are 1.5MOA max for precision semi-autos and 3 MOA max for regular semi-autos when averaging five 5-shot groups. (Not much point shooting anything less accurate than that.)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have not.

I’ve only taken a couple of Colt and a BCM barrel, all chrome lined button cut barrels past 10K, all in pretty high tempo training regimens involving semi-auto only and very very few to maybe no mag dumps, but never paying particular attention to barrel heat and I did not even notice any degradation of accuracy with one Colt barrel going to near 16K rounds before I decided to get distracted and build another upper.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I have not.

I’ve only taken a couple of Colt and a BCM barrel, all chrome lined button cut barrels past 10K, all in pretty high tempo training regimens involving semi-auto only and very very few to maybe no mag dumps, but never paying particular attention to barrel heat and I did not even notice any degradation of accuracy with one Colt barrel going to near 16K rounds before I decided to get distracted and build another upper.
    Excellent info, thank you.

Feedback Score

Ever shot a barrel out? (RFI on personally shot out barrels...)

I’ve shot out many many bolt-action barrels, but only one AR barrel that I will consider “shot-out” but I do continue to use it.

It still functions and fires, but the barrel seems over-gassed at this point. Precision has also degraded to the point it throws random flyers every few rounds, but still groups as well as lesser barrels I own.

It started its life being a sub-MOA barrel, now shooting 2 MOA most of the time with the occasional flyer opening it up to 3-4 MOA. Round count on it is mid-20k range. Barrel details: DD LW 14.5” mid-length. Barrel was purchased in 2007, and began throwing flyers first noticed in 2019 when I was preparing for hunting season.

I did scrub the bore, throat, and chamber anticipating that may be the problem, but I believe it to be wear as there was no improvement.

It is now relegated to close range training and will stay in that role for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mRad; 07-17-21 at 09:14.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Great info. Nice to hear how long the barrel has lasted.

Feedback Score
    You wonder how many Colt SP-1's that were bought back in the 1970's or 1980's are still shooting fine. I would imagine that many of them were safe/closet queens most of their lives.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I dumped a Bushmaster 14.5 carbine barrel that had 25-30k through it. Leade was getting pretty long. It was also over gassed and would periodically malf due to that.

Still could have kept running, but it was towards the end of it's life.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Shot out a Sako .22/250 bolt gun barrel, never kept track of rd. count (Varmint gun at the ranch).
    Also wore out a BarSto .38 Super barrel at around 140K rds. when I was actively competing.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a 300WM that we shoot hot hot loads through and I do not take care of it. Meaning I never stop shooting to let me barrel cool if I want to continue. I have had it for years and recently had my Riflesmith take it apart to do some work and he said, I see a little wear but nothing close to being shot out. I was very surprised.

I think people baby their guns often times for no reason. Most of us that shoot a lot have too many guns to shoot out barrels. I know that I do. And I do more precision work vs dumping mags.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Now replacing a SS precision rifle barrel that opened up. Will retain and reuse it on a parts gun, as “shot out” now makes it an above average regular barrel. Interestingly, it remains an MOA barrel with long copper solids, but not normal bullets. More bearing surface, less bothered by port erosion, something.

Like someone else said, by the time you’ve worn out a barrel you’ve spent quite a bit on ammo. Barrels, and guns in general, are pretty cheap durable goods.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast