Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever shot a barrel out? (RFI on personally shot out barrels...)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Now replacing a SS precision rifle barrel that opened up. Will retain and reuse it on a parts gun, as “shot out” now makes it an above average regular barrel. Interestingly, it remains an MOA barrel with long copper solids, but not normal bullets. More bearing surface, less bothered by port erosion, something.

Like someone else said, by the time you’ve worn out a barrel you’ve spent quite a bit on ammo. Barrels, and guns in general, are pretty cheap durable goods.
    The amount of ammo it takes to wear out an AR makes you question why guys buy cheap guns!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Here is a rather dramatic example of a worn barrel.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...Jim-Barrel-KIA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 07-17-21 at 13:36.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    I was an an AR course of a big box training school and using a rental rifle. No telling how many thousands of rounds have been down that barrel.
    At 100 yds prone, I was doing good just to keep it on paper of a full size B58 target.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post

Now that is ridiculous. Makes you wonder how quality of a barrel it was to begin with. I have seen some new rifles keyhole before. Could be shooting some 77 or larger out of a 1:9 but damn 25 yards is awful close to have key holing.

Feedback Score
    I would imagine the tell tell sign would be 7 to 8 moa in the rifle maybe. I believe 4 moa is "acceptable". I have a 11.5 that has over 12k that still is around 2-3 moa with a 4 moa t2 so I imagine I could do much better with something magnified. I know you can shoot out a barrel but a good quality barrel from a reputable company should last 25+k relatively easy

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post

Not a good example, a 5.45 x 39 S&W that lasted 11,800 rounds, not to be unexpected IMO.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 07-18-21 at 06:21.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    Now that is ridiculous. Makes you wonder how quality of a barrel it was to begin with. I have seen some new rifles keyhole before. Could be shooting some 77 or larger out of a 1:9 but damn 25 yards is awful close to have key holing.
    Just being a 1:9 is not going to cause what happened in that picture. There is other stuff going on there.

I have a few Colt barrels in 1:9 twist (regular Colt 5.56 chambers) and a few CLE chambered 1:9 twist barrels so far and none of them print like that with heavies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12