Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Grow up Broke? What did it teach you?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    It is what it is man. Nothing I could do about it.

As an adult and a parent, I’ve had great times and not so great times. I’ve been employed and unemployed. I’ve needed help in the past and have always been able to help when it was needed.

Struggle in life is real. It’s what you do to overcome that struggle. Some people just say **** it and quit. Some people take it and learn, and it makes them stronger and more resilient.
    Been there done that, I could type out my credentials, but honestly, it's pretty boring most places and at rare points totally and insanely dangerous and unbelievable.
    I haven't ever been unemployed, but then I joined the Army as a Teen and stayed in until I could retire, then I went to work for the people who built our Tanks and worked my way pretty deep in that Industry.
    I have been a single parent, that was fun and the best years of my Life.
    My Folks came out of Kentucky via West Virginia. They kept moving west until Indiana and worked their asses off sharecropping until they could afford to buy their own land.
    I'm with you, you have to tie a knot in that rope and hang on, when the wind dies lean forward and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    My upbringing in a very low income household and my military experience taught me a great deal.

1) Hard work will get you through most of life's problems.
    2) Just because you have very little money, does not mean you cannot afford a bar of soap or a broom.
    3) Prioritize your expenditures, food first, rent and utilities second, and so on.
    4) Don't piss away money on liquor and cigarettes.
    5) Don't take things for granted, such as living indoors, being able to get a clean drink of water out of a faucet, indoor plumbing, a working furnace during the winter.
    6) Don't look down on hard working people who don't have much money.
    I've heard my Granny say the same things.
    As specially about being clean and keeping yourself presentable, managing money and owning your vices.
    When her SS check came though, she bought a bottle of Brandy and six beers to last the month.
    Hahaha !

Feedback Score
    I grew up in a middle class to upper class family. Parents didn’t splurge on me and often told me no. They always taught me to work for what I want. I thank them for that.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345